Property Releases - Nature Reserves

I have some images taken on nature reserves (e.g. RSPB Yorkshire Wildlife Trust).  The images are of wildlife with no identifying features to tie the image to that particular property (Alamy guidelines for unidentifiable private property is that no release is needed).  But the fact remains I was on that property when I took the shot.

When I've spoken to representatives (even at the head office) of the relevant authorities who run the reserve they said that they had no problem with commercial photography on their sites "it happens all the time - everyone does it".  

My question - how do I go about placing the image on Alamy release wise.  Do I say a property release is required and name the reserve where it was taken.  Do I summarise my conversation with the reserve in the description field?  From speaking to the RSPB for example, my understanding is that they do not prevent commercial photography on their sites - there is no restriction on commercial photography on their licence to enter the land.

I would be inclined to answer 'no' to the question 'does this image contain property that requires a release for commercial use' because it doesn't.

Though how much ice that would cut with an advertiser I don't know.

+1.  I would do the same

Pearl

What Spacey says. I've got plenty of wildlife shots taken at nature reserves in my port and I've had no problems/comeback with any sales I've made here or elsewhere.

If I take a shot of a sign or something like that on a nature reserve, then I'll regard it as "Property Release needed" and put it up as RM. 

The only "nature reserve" shots I haven't uploaded are those I have from Monkey World in Dorset because they request that you don't use photos taken there commercially (and I respect what they do at Monkey World). 

I think you'd have to be careful with wildlife shots taken on National Trust properties too if you were to take any.

I am a regular on the Herefordshire nature trusts reserves and have many images on Alamy, the trust have no problems with that but i do offer them the use of any any images that they might be interested in (free of charge).

OK, on goes my flame proof suit....

If the land is unidentifiable I would tick that it did not need a release. If an animal is captive I would say so, ie some of your zoo shots.

+1

Wild animals/birds/fish/mammals are fair game. Captive or someones pet release needed. That is how I look at it.

If no release forthcoming, and I do not ask anyway, for captive or pet image marked no release and RM.

Allan

• 2 weeks later...

If you name the reserve in the photo then I would tick the box that says property release required and that you don't have one. If you don't name the reserve and the background is not identifiable then tick, no property release required. If pix are taken in a zoo then I would definitely put release required and that you don't have one.  Obviously if the animal is captive it should be stated in the caption.

Having been approached by Alamy to get property clearance ( for bank advertising )  and been unable to get it  I almost always put that I don't have property clearance on virtually any image. You really have no idea where the images might get used once they are up on the site.

Archived