Another change to image previews

Image previews seem to have changed again this morning, has anyone else noticed?  Threw me a bit at first. Not really a problem except that some of the caption is missing if all the 128 characters are used which seems a shame.  I don't recall that being the case with the previous incarnation.

Pearl

It's a regression: we went back to an earlier stage when we also had truncating of the caption. Not sure if that was at 116 characters like we have now.

Before the weekend we had previews or comps that were 640 wide or 540 high for the longest side.

wim

edit: typo

If you hover over the caption you see the whole thing. They seem to have made everything fit into a smaller area. I wonder if they are preparing to go back to the smaller window that will still let you see some thumbnails and move easily back to them.

Paulette

If you hover over the caption you see the whole thing. They seem to have made everything fit into a smaller area. I wonder if they are preparing to go back to the smaller window that will still let you see some thumbnails and move easily back to them.

Paulette

Yes you are right Paulette.  I hadn't noticed that but the images are smaller than before which seems an odd move.

Pearl

It seems the requirement for flash is gone so you can now view images on a tablet or phone. That's a good thing. I just checked my android tablet and iphone and I can now get all the way to the purchase page with both. I wasn't able to do that a few hours ago.

It seems the requirement for flash is gone so you can now view images on a tablet or phone. That's a good thing. I just checked my android tablet and iphone and I can now get all the way to the purchase page with both. I wasn't able to do that a few hours ago.

It still requires Flash to edit the image though, at least it came up saying I needed Flash when I just tried to edit one of my images on my iPad.  Not a bit advantage to contributors but perhaps this is just the first phase.

Pearl

Paulette

Hopefully, clients will also figure out that they have to hover over the caption in order to see the whole thing. Not sure I would have realized that right away myself. 

Paulette

Hopefully, clients will also figure out that they have to hover over the caption in order to see the whole thing. Not sure I would have realized that right away myself. 

You can hover over the image too and a box pops up with the description.  On my tablet if I hold my finger down on the photo I get a pop up box with the description and the option to save, share, copy, or set image as which is a function of the Android operating system.  I was able to set an image as my home screen though with the Alamy watermark intact.

Only just discovered this and was about to start a thread!

The caption reduction seems to be based on space-saving and the full text is available both as ALT text and TITLE text on hover of both the image and caption.

What is annoying is the insistence in appending "Stock Photo, Picture and Royalty Free Image" to the end of the title of each and every page.  As far as I know, I never signed up to a change of usage - all my images are registered here as 'Rights-managed'.  Lines are continually being blurred, I know, but adding the term Royalty Free to an image when it is not is misleading and just creates confusion for a potential buyer and possible problems down the line. Especially when, at the bottom of the row of 5 licensing options, the viewer is told that they may ...choose a rights-managed license ›

I commented on the change this morning in the Alamy Suggestions section. I don't like the truncation of the caption  nor the smaller image preview.

Another, new to me, feature, is that an image of my most recent sale appears upon the same screen, although it has no connection with the photo in question. Not sure how useful that is.

I commented on the change this morning in the Alamy Suggestions section. I don't like the truncation of the caption  nor the smaller image preview.

Another, new to me, feature, is that an image of my most recent sale appears upon the same screen, although it has no connection with the photo in question. Not sure how useful that is.

Sorry Bryan, I didn't think to look in that section.

Pearl

The caption reduction seems to be based on space-saving and the full text is available both as ALT text and TITLE text on hover of both the image and caption.

What is annoying is the insistence in appending "Stock Photo, Picture and Royalty Free Image" to the end of the title of each and every page.  As far as I know, I never signed up to a change of usage - all my images are registered here as 'Rights-managed'.  Lines are continually being blurred, I know, but adding the term Royalty Free to an image when it is not is misleading and just creates confusion for a potential buyer and possible problems down the line. Especially when, at the bottom of the row of 5 licensing options, the viewer is told that they may ...choose a rights-managed license ›

I'm not seeing what you see. I do see Stock photo before each caption and I think that is for people who search Google for a stock image of a subject. The other thing I see is what you mention  under the listed prices. I don't know where you are seeing Royalty Free. My images are also all Rights-Managed and I just don't see Royalty-Free in the previews for my images.

Paulette

I'm not seeing what you see. I do see Stock photo before each caption and I think that is for people who search Google for a stock image of a subject. The other thing I see is what you mention  under the listed prices. I don't know where you are seeing Royalty Free. My images are also all Rights-Managed and I just don't see Royalty-Free in the previews for my images.

Paulette

I don't see it either, but it wouldn't be the first time I missed something.

Sorry Bryan, I didn't think to look in that section.

Pearl

Not intended as a criticism Pearl, no need to apologise!

That may have more to do with your search or previous search, because I do not see any thumbnail image when I search for one of yours by the Alamy #.

Do you have the complete link to that page that you saw?

- I agree with you about the size and the truncation. I hope it's just a mistake.

wim

Paulette

It's in the coding of the page which determines (among other things) the page title.

A pertinent example:

http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-Polar-Bear-Ursus-maritimus-sitting-among-wiilows-in-the-frost-near-74548914.html has the following page title which you can see if you hover over the tab in your browser:

"Polar Bear, Ursus maritimus, sitting among wiilows in the frost, near Hudson Bay, Cape Churchill, Manitoba, Canada Stock Photo, Picture and Royalty Free Image. Pic. 74548914"

My bold and quotes.

Paulette

It's in the coding of the page which determines (among other things) the page title.

A pertinent example:

http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-Polar-Bear-Ursus-maritimus-sitting-among-wiilows-in-the-frost-near-74548914.html has the following page title which you can see if you hover over the tab in your browser:

"Polar Bear, Ursus maritimus, sitting among wiilows in the frost, near Hudson Bay, Cape Churchill, Manitoba, Canada Stock Photo, Picture and Royalty Free Image. Pic. 74548914"

My bold and quotes.

I can see it in the source, but on mouse over the title ends with Canada in Firefox.

Could be browser specific.

wim

That may have more to do with your search or previous search, because I do not see any thumbnail image when I search for one of yours by the Alamy #.

Do you have the complete link to that page that you saw?

- I agree with you about the size and the truncation. I hope it's just a mistake.

wim

Sorry Wim,  but I have been unable to replicate this phenomenon this evening. 

Paulette

A pertinent example:

My bold and quotes.

Aha! Yes, I see it when I hover over the tab at the top of the page. How odd. It is not a Royalty Free image. I love that bear. Brings back happy memories of living on the Canadian tundra. Despite sleeping on a sort of shelf in a sort of closet it was a great experience. BEARS outside the windows.

Paulette

What is annoying is the insistence in appending "Stock Photo, Picture and Royalty Free Image" to the end of the title of each and every page. As far as I know, I never signed up to a change of usage - all my images are registered here as 'Rights-managed'. Lines are continually being blurred, I know, but adding the term Royalty Free to an image when it is not is misleading and just creates confusion for a potential buyer and possible problems down the line. Especially when, at the bottom of the row of 5 licensing options, the viewer is told that they may ...choose a rights-managed license ›

I'm not seeing what you see. I do see Stock photo before each caption and I think that is for people who search Google for a stock image of a subject. The other thing I see is what you mention under the listed prices. I don't know where you are seeing Royalty Free. My images are also all Rights-Managed and I just don't see Royalty-Free in the previews for my images.

Paulette

A pertinent example:

My bold and quotes.

I can see it in the source, but on mouse over the title ends with Canada in Firefox.

Could be browser specific.

wim

My results using:

Firefox (33.1.1) - shows full title

Chrome (38.0.2125.122 m) - shows full title

IE (11.0.14) - cuts short the title

Opera (12.17) - cuts short the title

Some add the Web address (Opera, I think?)

...all on a Win7.1 PC

Don't believe that there is a specific 'requirement' as such over at W3C, though I believe that the recommendation is around 50 - 65 characters.

Anyhoo, the addition of the appended 'RF' text is clearly placed there for the search engines and aimed at potential purchasers....and I'm not a fan

:-||

:@ >

:(

:lol:

Archived