old images saved as PSD files, worth uploading?

I have been looking through my archived disks following the recent reduction in image size.  I have come across some photographs I took whilst in Sri Lanka, assisting in house building following the Tsunami. Now, for some reason (probably because I had never even heard of Stock photography at the time), the images have all been saved to disk as PSD format.  As I am more than a little bit useless as all this computer/technology malarky, is it worth me sorting the wheat from the chaff, converting to jpeg and up loading? most of the files seem to be around 7.5MB PSD. Or is the conversion from PSD to JPEG likely to be detramental?

Thanks

I think you can save a compressed version of PSD. opening one in photoshop will show the true size.

Actually not true Mark - PSDs are uncompressed only. TIFFs have various compression options. If the files are 8-bit RGBs, then the images will be pretty tiny, too small for Alamy without significant upsizing even at the new 17 Mb limit.

I think you can save a compressed version of PSD. opening one in photoshop will show the true size.

Actually not true Mark - PSDs are uncompressed only. TIFFs have various compression options. If the files are 8-bit RGBs, then the images will be pretty tiny, too small for Alamy without significant upsizing even at the new 17 Mb limit.

I just opened a PSD that shows 5.8MB in the file folder but opens to 12.8MB in photoshop. So the 7.5mb should just make the 17MB limit.

Jill

The open size will depend on the psd and how it's made up. I have one at 1.09GB on file which opens to 1.49GB...it has lots of layers. Another is 166MB and opens to 166MB....single background layer.

Easiest way to save size on disc with a psd is to click off (hide) the layers - also you can 'compress' a psd using a zip file.

Pardon me, but I thought when the 17mb file size was first brought up, (instead of the 24mb limit) that someone tried uploading one and it was rejected by the uploader for being too small.

Has this changed? Are 17mb uploading fine now?

Betty

Pardon me, but I thought when the 17mb file size was first brought up, (instead of the 24mb limit) that someone tried uploading one and it was rejected by the uploader for being too small.

Has this changed? Are 17mb uploading fine now?

Betty

I have uploaded a few with no problem at all.

Jill

Archived