I, for one (the only one?), was sorry to see the agency close, because I had made a few nice sales with them, including one for more than I've ever received at Alamy. And the sold images were pretty normal stock stuff. 

But I haven't dealt with them since they closed it.

I, for one (the only one?), was sorry to see the agency close, because I had made a few nice sales with them, including one for more than I've ever received at Alamy. And the sold images were pretty normal stock stuff. 

But I haven't dealt with them since they closed it.

That's good to hear, Bill. They didn't seem to like most of what I sent them. I don't really have much of a relationship with PS. My website is just a convenient place to manage and store some of my images (and hopefully sell a few, of course). They also do have very good SEO tools. My PS galleries often come up on the first Page of Google search results. I'd love to be able to FTP images to Alamy from my PS site. But that has been discussed many times in the past.

• 3 months later...

The saga continues...

After discovering my images on Lattice this week (early Feb 2015) and after being invited to "curate" collections, I discovered the watermarking issue on large images, as described above, as well as the fact that I had been auto-enrolled and needed to opt-out.

I was unaware that this problem had been ongoing since the rollout in October 2014.

I was assured by Photoshelter that they are "working on an update to address the problem."  When I asked when it would be released, I was told,

"After meeting with the product team this afternoon, we can't offer up a timeline for watermarking still, but updates will likely be made within the upcoming months. We are actively working on making the change, but it will require a bit of time and resources on our end. 

To reiterate what xxx mentioned, the watermarks will display on all individually viewed images, and it will include both the image copyright and a shortened URL back to the image, which will serve as a useful, persistent link to your image wherever it appears.

Our ultimate goal with Lattice is to help your images get discovered by new audiences, and we believe that we’ll be most successful in doing so if the experience of viewing a board is clean, immersive, and all about the images themselves. "

Caveat emptor if you subscribe to Photoshelter.  I've opted out, and I'm about to migrate my library to Alamy.  Long overdue.  I had put together a great collection on Lattice on Birding Cuba from my three trips in the past two years, but I'm sure not going to give it away to large image screen capture of non-watermarked images...  Things are bad enough with smaller, watermarked images!

--Rich Wagner

Plenty of PS forum activity now - and apart from watermarking being the main worry, it is the 'what's in it for me?' question:

http://bit.ly/1s8VWvb

Richard.

I'll say. Thanks.

That link worked for me just now.

I will be leaving PS as soon as I have downloaded my images, probably the end of February. I should have them on my PC but I will copy them anyway just in case.

They sort of killed the forum off (there are different opinions why) - they replaced it with something that fits more into their new direction/style. Its been moved to a "QA" forum under "help".

The old forum is viewable but you cannot post. Its another sad change at PS in my own opinion.

Thanks, I found the new Q&A section. Last year was the first time that my PS website profits did not cover the subscription costs, so I'm going to see how things go during the next few months before making any decisions about staying with PS or pulling the plug. I did make a small sale ($60) last month, which was hopefully a good omen for 2015.

Are we sure we are not over reacting here?????  Show me one single agency, just one who isn't into some form of skull duggery,  show me one single agency that don't invite and mingle with partners, this and that. Price-cuts, wheeling, dealig, Casbah market mentality is everyday business in our business,  goes with the territory.

Bit paranoia here, isn't it?

Are we sure we are not over reacting here?????  Show me one single agency, just one who isn't into some form of skull duggery,  show me one single agency that don't invite and mingle with partners, this and that. Price-cuts, wheeling, dealig, Casbah market mentality is everyday business in our business,  goes with the territory.

Bit paranoia here, isn't it?

Personally, I'm not especially paranoid about PS. I still like their website services, but I'm starting to wonder if they are worth the money given the drop in photo-buyer interest over the past couple of years. Lattice sounds like a bit of a boondoggle, though. I opted out.

John!  well it was tongue in cheek really. What I mean is, people find something wrong with a site and its blown up a million%, when ironically there is something wrong with every single site existing on the Internet.

This lattice, is no more of a threat then some 30 microstock outfits and they have now been in business for about 10 years.

John!  well it was tongue in cheek really. What I mean is, people find something wrong with a site and its blown up a million%, when ironically there is something wrong with every single site existing on the Internet.

This lattice, is no more of a threat then some 30 microstock outfits and they have now been in business for about 10 years.

To tell you the truth, I don't pay much attention to what goes on at PS, including Lattice. I just use them to store and hopefully sell some of my photos. Good point about microstock outfits. They are the real culprits

Yes John, I would like a bit more time to fine-tune my homepage there though. Given the right buyer one could get a nice surprise. couple of weeks back a German engineering corp bought an RM picture for 3100 bucks. Not very often you get that sort of money nowadays. Ha!  10 years back it happened all the time. What a change!

Photoshelter users be warned. They have introduced Lattice, a Pinterest type "service" with no watermark protection. It took me barely 2 minutes to grab an unwatermarked 1200 x 800 px image. It is yet another opportunity for image theft.

You are opted in by default. If you use PhotoShelter and value you your images I suggest you login immediately and opt out. You might also want to share your view  on their Blog. I am now taking a hard look at whether I am going to continue using PhotoShelter to store my images as they clearly are not thinking in terms of protecting professional photographers. I will probably cancel my account as soon as I can download my images (although I do have them on my own machines) and rebuild my web site. I was going to redesign it anyway this just moves it to the top of the list.

I left Photoshelter for several reasons appx 7 years ago and have not looked back. I signed up with Zenfolio. Easy and much cheaper too!

Here is my signup code if you like it.I am sure they have a free trial.

my Zenfolio code  CNZ-5BD-HBQ

L

Photoshelter users be warned. They have introduced Lattice, a Pinterest type "service" with no watermark protection. It took me barely 2 minutes to grab an unwatermarked 1200 x 800 px image. It is yet another opportunity for image theft.

You are opted in by default. If you use PhotoShelter and value you your images I suggest you login immediately and opt out. You might also want to share your view  on their Blog. I am now taking a hard look at whether I am going to continue using PhotoShelter to store my images as they clearly are not thinking in terms of protecting professional photographers. I will probably cancel my account as soon as I can download my images (although I do have them on my own machines) and rebuild my web site. I was going to redesign it anyway this just moves it to the top of the list.

I left Photoshelter for several reasons appx 7 years ago and have not looked back. I signed up with Zenfolio. Easy and much cheaper too!

L

I started to set up a website using the Zen trial the other week and I'm just tweaking it at present. I'm in the process of re-editing my 'arty' pictures to add to the website and it's a breeze to use, but I've  along way to go and will be dumping many pictures which don't quite cut it quality wise (digital rebel) and are just there as place holders whilst testing.

I'll try to use your code for the actual sign up Linda and see if it works OK for me, thanks.

I would also appreciate any critique on the way it's set up from anyone (link below) bearing in mind that I still have to add full descriptions and keywords to the images. 

How do you find the e-commerce side of the site Linda?

L

I started to set up a website using the Zen trial the other week and I'm just tweaking it at present. I'm in the process of re-editing my 'arty' pictures to add to the website and it's a breeze to use, but I've  along way to go and will be dumping many pictures which don't quite cut it quality wise (digital rebel) and are just there as place holders whilst testing.

I'll try to use your code for the actual sign up Linda and see if it works OK for me, thanks.

I would also appreciate any critique on the way it's set up from anyone (link below) bearing in mind that I still have to add full descriptions and keywords to the images. 

How do you find the e-commerce side of the site Linda?

Some great stuff there Mick. Love the trucking pictures!  BTW, here in Sweden,  SCANIA is one of my longstanding clients, Ads, annuals, corp-profiles, etc, etc. They do have some fantastic trucks.

I was 75% ready to do business with Alan again, I was one of the original contributors to their

agency, ouch, but this just made me stop.  I do need to find the services that Photoshelter (PS) 

offers, but these comments have convinced me to not go with PS.  What do any of you know

about "LightRocket"  I do know Peter Charlesworth personally and they seem to offer most of

what PS advertises at a fraction of the cost?

Chuck (the original one)

Oh absolutely!  I remove for two reasons  they sell lots, lots more!  and some of these trucking-corps are old clients. They might not want their logos, brands in context with certain briefs, etc.

Thanks Christian, I noticed that on your truck pictures for stock you remove branding... is it worth it for you?

Archived