I have a shot that I would like to add to my portfolio but I'm not sure about some movement in the pic. Not on the main focus but on some grass on the edges. Advice please?

If the main part of the image was sharp, the blurred grass would not be a problem. However, I would not submit this if it was mine--the bird's eye, by the standard I apply to my submissions here, is soft.

dd

If the main part of the image was sharp, the blurred grass would not be a problem. However, I would not submit this if it was mine--the bird's eye, by the standard I apply to my submissions here, is soft.

dd

I don't see this image as over-all soft. It's just that some of it is outside the selective-focus area. The OP is using DoF. For proper orientation, it would be helpful to see this image at its normal size. What is this at? 100% or 200%?

First a warning, you have put up a 1.8Mb full-size images that can be copied. I have just downloaded it to my own PC so I can have a proper look at it as Ed suggested. Of course when I have finished commenting I will delete it. Your watermark will easily edit out.

At 100% it looks fine to me, the eye might be a tiny bit off but I am not certain. At 100% images generally start to look soft through pixellation and jaggies and at 200% all are soft. Personally I would probably submit it - It is a nice picture. I would not worry about the motion blur on the grass.

As a personal aside: If I need to ask whether an image is good enough I know in my heart it is not. I usually bite the bullet and fail it myself otherwise I waste time on it and then still reject it ;)

I'm not sure it would fail on softness. Post sale sharpening may be all that's required to rectify the eye and centre. The edges are less important. However the situation could could be complicated further by removing grain which I would feel obliged to do before submission. This would soften the image further and in so doing may put it beyond submission.

Resizing to Alamy's new minimum size requirement (17MB) and adding a small amount of sharpening (I used Smart Sharpen 45%, radius 0.7, Noise Reduction 5%) yields to my eye a perfectly acceptable image. Selective sharpening would be even better.

You may not even have to resize quite as far down as that. 24-36 MB would probably be adequate.

15456709825_ffb8a6d1be_o.jpg

-Jason

Archived