Should Alamy get into prints?

Under no circumstances would I want Alamy to compete with me for print sales.  As others pointed out, they would likely undercut my prices since some images are posted both here and on my POD site..

Not only that but they would want 50% of the profit too.

Allan

• 1 month later...

I had this one come in today. It sure looks like a print sale.

Usage: Internal business usage
Media: Personal
Start: 30 October 2014
End: 30 October 2019
In perpetuity rights are granted for the image(s) to be used for personal wall décor.

In perpetuity rights are granted for the image(s) to be used for personal wall décor.

It sure does. Hope it fetched a decent price.

$25 gross - a fraction of what I probably would've charged personally.... but I'll look at it as a sale I wouldn't have made on my own and I didn't have to do the legwork.

fD

Oh, doesn't it ever? Most disturbing. 

Peter, is that you over in cell 18B? Betty's gonna fix us a pie next week. 

$25 gross - a fraction of what I probably would've charged personally.... but I'll look at it as a sale I wouldn't have made on my own and I didn't have to do the legwork.

fD

$25 NET would be OK for a small print, but you will get only $12.50 and print size isn't specified, so it can be any size at all ... and "wall decor" could mean very big indeed. I guess this answers my original question.

Not as far as I know, might be a very good idea actually, PODs. I mean there seems to be a general lack of sales here anyway so whats to lose? all I know is, myself and many I know do VERY well at the FAA and thats PODs.

It is a good idea John but I think Alamy might not consider it as commensurate with their core business.  Do G and C offer this service?

Allan

Well I'm not really sure how "internal business usage" could be "personal."  I tend to think of personal use as hanging in someone's home or posted on Facebook. I haven't sold any prints in quite some time but, last time I did, it was to a Non-Profit who asked for a print from my archive, paid FedEx and had a large print made from that. They offered $250 and I accepted.

Well I'm not really sure how "internal business usage" could be "personal."  I tend to think of personal use as hanging in someone's home or posted on Facebook. I haven't sold any prints in quite some time but, last time I did, it was to a Non-Profit who asked for a print from my archive, paid FedEx and had a large print made from that. They offered $250 and I accepted.

I would agree, similar experience. Frankly there are many better platforms for making money from prints than Alamy could become any time soon. Most allow the photographer to make money by making a margin on the print and often on the framing as well. If you can get into the interior design market there is probably more to be made per sale that way than ever will be made on an editorial sale.

I would agree, similar experience. Frankly there are many better platforms for making money from prints than Alamy could become any time soon. Most allow the photographer to make money by making a margin on the print and often on the framing as well. If you can get into the interior design market there is probably more to be made per sale that way than ever will be made on an editorial sale.

For sure, POD sites give us much more control over pricing. I've sold prints of images that have also leased on Alamy for editorial use, including one a few days ago.

I just took a look at Fine Art America and I'm wondering if some of my more scenic images might do well there. If I were to decide to take that route, I wonder if it would be possible to opt-out of personal use print sales here. Alamy seems to allow for restrictions on personal use and display but I don't know exactly what that covers. 

On the other hand, this isn't an image I would expect to sell as a print so it really is found money. These kinds of sales seem to be so infrequent that maybe it shouldn't be a real concern... and there's nothing like a few extra $$ to get you over the payment mininum ;)

fD

I just took a look at Fine Art America and I'm wondering if some of my more scenic images might do well there. If I were to decide to take that route, I wonder if it would be possible to opt-out of personal use print sales here. Alamy seems to allow for restrictions on personal use and display but I don't know exactly what that covers. 

On the other hand, this isn't an image I would expect to sell as a print so it really is found money. These kinds of sales seem to be so infrequent that maybe it shouldn't be a real concern... and there's nothing like a few extra $$ to get you over the payment mininum ;)

fD

Personally, I wouldn't try to opt out. Alamy sales prices can be all over the place, so you never know what might come along.

FAA is definitely worth a try IME.

Oh, doesn't it ever? Most disturbing. 

Peter, is that you over in cell 18B? Betty's gonna fix us a pie next week

You might be lucky and she will put a file in it.............

I just checked my sales and  I have four display sales in today. 2 around the US-$ 100 range and two further for US-$ 500. Which is nice. 

But these are display sales for exhibitions etc. and not to the punter in the street - which would be much lower. 

Will it cut 3 ways? I was out for the weekend on early release, but I was recalled this morning.

4 ways? still waiting to be released.

Allan

Will it cut 3 ways? I was out for the weekend on early release, but I was recalled this morning.

4 ways? still waiting to be released.

Allan

Okay but bring your own cream.

Re FAA, are there any issues selling on FAA from the UK?

I am with FAA. Have not made a sale yet. However they recently contracted with a print supplier in the UK so postage will be cheaper now to customers in this part of the world.

No other issues I can think of.

Allan

Archived