Nice little news story that i heard on the radio this morning...

and here on the Guardian's site
http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/aug/28/gold-bullion-folkestone-beach-buried-michael-sailstorfer-triennial-arts

But no-one has done anything for AlamyNews...

Crikey....it's the sort of thing i'd be going after. Doesnt anyone have any news sense...

there is literally gold there

km

Alamy decide what they send out

Thank god they do....

km

So why take the chance that your set won't see the picture desks?

Ummm . . . isn't that like not submitting at all because of the chance that your images won't sell?

dd

Alamy decide what they send out

Thank god they do....

km

So why take the chance that your set won't see the picture desks?

Ummm . . . isn't that like not submitting at all because of the chance that your images won't sell?

dd

Not really, by picking the outlet which is more likely to send out my images gives me a better chance of sales.

Does Alamy insist on exclusivity for news images?

dd

no, but it does complicate matters if you supply the *same* images to more than one news outlet and they get used....and you won't be making any friends with your pic editors...

send a different selection to each outlet if you want to cover your bases

km

Does Alamy insist on exclusivity for news images?

dd

No. 

No, although it's not a good thing to file the same image to more than one agency as they are all supplying the same picture desks. What I tend to do is file one set as news and others sets as stock. 

Or I have made two very different selections from the same event - not the first shot in a sequence to A and the second to B. Try not to select similars for the different agencies. That said at some events essentially the same shot is available from multiple phoptographers because they are all corralled in the same pen!

If I get a sniff of anything in my area I'm down there taking pictures whether I feels it's newsworthy or not. I'll make that call when I get there. Too many folk want to chase the big stories looking for the big payday. I dropped everything at work one day when a tree fell on a doctors car on her way to A&E. She had to run to work and left the car. I sneaked out of work with my camera up my jacket and snapped some pics. Ended up in the Guardian, Daily Mail and a few locals. Was worth leaving work. Granted I could have been in trouble but I can't help it. 

Archived