ACR & Lightroom

Could any Lightroom users tell me if the ACR with that program is the full blown version as with CS6, or is it the cut down version as with PSE please?

Allan

• 2 weeks later...

Another question about Lr.

I have now downloaded Lr and am wondering if there is a way of disabling the library function as I use my own library system and do not need another library cluttering the hard drive.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Allan

With LR you import your existing library into the LR catalogue, no need to create a new one.

Then just use LR to add to your existing library as you add more photos.

LR effectively becomes a database management system with a few extras ;)

Adobe have some great videos to help you understand how it works. 

On the "Help" menu look at "Lightroom Online" and follow the link to "Learn & Support".

Takes a while to get into the way it works but well worth the effort.

Good luck

Thanks Phil I will take a look and see how I get on with what you suggest.  I only have Lr on a 30 day trial at the moment so will have to get a move on. :)

Allan

Allan,

I found it a bit of a pain learning to use the LR Library, but having  got used to it, I find it an excellent system.  I think you have to have a Library set up as that is the only way to get the program to access the files you want to work on.  You can have different Library catalog's for different sections of your work.

A brief lesson on how to get started:

I have a filing system for new images which has folders Year/Month/Day/Place.    I came in today having shot in 3 locations.   In Windows Explorer I added 3 new folders in 2014/07/12_07Helmsley and 12_07Guisborough and 12_07Nunnington.   Connect the camera to the PC and in LR go to File/"Import Photos and video" the camera file appears on the left screen.  click the files for one of the locations.   At the top of the screen either click Copy or Copy as DNG.  Then go to the right hand screen, select the target folder and click the Import Button.   When complete, repeat this for the other locations.   Once this is done you can start work.  In "Library" select the image file you want to work on, then (at the top) select develop - and then you can start.

When I finish the development, I go Photo (at the top)/ Edit in Photoshop.  It sends it to PS as a TIFF, for finishing off.

Hope this helps.   I have a Kindle book on LR which was cheap and can help.  Let me know if you want details.

IIRC, the catalog size is maxed out at 4GB, not a lot of space for a HD and that's an awful lot of images.

I try and keep my main catalog at around 100,000 images (it's mainly client work) but I do delete older client work when it's no longer needed (other than jpegs for promotion).

The catalog/DAM system is the best bit about LR.

Personally I keep all old work on external drives, not on my computers HD. Ideally keep software and what's need to hand on the HD and store the rest externally. For years I restisted the charms of LR for anything other than a DAM system but am now a convert to working in and out of CC via LR. TBH, I couldn't cope with non-stock work without it. Just ignore all the crap I said about it previously (the zealousness of a convert!!).

I also wish there was a way to use LR without having to import images first. I use my own library system too, based on Windows folders and existing windows search tools and didn't want to become dependent on Adobe and I like to be able to move between PCs easily. I tend to import a batch into LR, process them and then remove from the library, so my LR catalogue is usually empty.

One thing I would advise is to optimise the performance of LR. Obviously using 64bit for starters but also there are various import settings that speed up actual use. 1:1 previews rendered upon import and small standard-size previews will speed up working within the modules. Whilst this increases the import time, it also gives you more time to prepared your favourite beverage (on large jobs).  Also if you don't use anything other than LR, turn off the save data to xmp - it's only needed for another editor, it does slow performance.

And if you have your images in a file structure that suits you, it is easy enough to get LR to make it into a catalogue so that you can access and manage them from within LR

But, if I make changes outside Lightroom, then the LR catalogue is "broken". I like the freedom to be able to add, move edit, rearrange images etc. both inside and outside Lightroom using whatever tool I like (Explorer, Breeze Browser, PSE etc.). I typically use LR for the initial Raw conversion, the rest is done in PSE. Ideally I'd use CC so I would have access to the same ACR conversion as LR, but I don't want to be hooked into Adobe's monthly fees, (which if I stop paying my S/W is disabled).

And if you have your images in a file structure that suits you, it is easy enough to get LR to make it into a catalogue so that you can access and manage them from within LR

But, if I make changes outside Lightroom, then the LR catalogue is "broken". I like the freedom to be able to add, move edit, rearrange images etc. both inside and outside Lightroom using whatever tool I like (Explorer, Breeze Browser, PSE etc.). I typically use LR for the initial Raw conversion, the rest is done in PSE. Ideally I'd use CC so I would have access to the same ACR conversion as LR, but I don't want to be hooked into Adobe's monthly fees, (which if I stop paying my S/W is disabled).

The catalog will indicate any changes made outside of LR and it's a left click on the image advisory and import settings sorts that out.

I import to my desktop into a folder (I never import from card to LR), so any initial browsing can be done via DPP or BB (in your case). I then import the folder (and subfolders) to LR, any outside editing I do via LR just to save a re-import. There are lots of external editors that you can 'edit in' via LR (Nik filters etc) and the changes are reflected within LR, either to original or a copy. If you are doing any sort of volume work then LR really is a brilliant hub as well as having the second best raw convertor.

any outside editing I do via LR just to save a re-import.

That's my point exactly... I always do my final editing outside LR with PSE. I hit export to PSE and produce my files jpegs from PSE.

Similarly if I delete files I imported into LR via Breezebrowser or Windows Explorer, LR catalogue gets in a mess.

Everyone has their own way of working, I'm not saying mine is particularly good, it's just that I'd like it if LR had an option of processing images without importing into a catalogue. Just like I can in DPP or other tools.

...the second best raw convertor.

Out of interest which convertor do you think is the best?

Well I guess we will have to disagree on what constitutes a mess. :)

For me Capture One Pro is a much better raw convertor, I started using it a long time ago for model-based work as skin was rendered much better. I have never used it enough for bulk work, I'm now bedded into a LR workflow for producing work for exporting to third party software like SNS HDR. I'm sure C1 would do the same and indeed no doubt better but past year or so have been about learning 3D in spare work time.

If anyone is interested, C1 is half price this past few days - less than £100 (without VAT).

Thank you for all of your replies to my second post. There seems to be a lot of variants and I can see there is a lot to think about and to try out. Is 30 days enough? I am not sure but will give it my best shot. Whichever way I go with this I think I will purchase Lr in the end, especially now it caters for RAW images from Fuji X cameras.

I have COPro7 but have not been comfortable with it.

In the end the way I will work with, or without, Lr library will be down to trials and what I feel comfortable with.

At the moment all my own library files are held on external drives, leaving my 500GB SSD on the computer for programs, initial uploads of images to holding files for working on, and room for the computer to use if necessary whilst processing (even though I have 8GB memory installed).

Thanks for your input. You all deserve a green tick each.

Allan

Not necessarily!   If I delete or move any files from any folder, I just go to the affected folder in LR, right click on it and click "Synchronize folder".   It does that, updates to include your changes in only 2 clicks...

Thank you for all of your replies to my second post. There seems to be a lot of variants and I can see there is a lot to think about and to try out. Is 30 days enough? I am not sure but will give it my best shot. Whichever way I go with this I think I will purchase Lr in the end, especially now it caters for RAW images from Fuji X cameras.

In the end the way I will work with, or without, Lr library will be down to trials and what I feel comfortable with.

At the moment all my own library files are held on external drives, leaving my 500GB SSD on the computer for programs, initial uploads of images to holding files for working on, and room for the computer to use if necessary whilst processing (even though I have 8GB memory installed).

Allan

Allan,

As I mentioned, you can make a catalog for any drive external or internal.   Mine are on external drives.   I did have a problem once when I disconnected the drive to take it somewhere and the damn fool Windows 7 gave it a new drive name (G) instead of (F) when I reconnected it.    LR can cope with this but how to tell it to do it was not initially clear.

Allan

Allan,

As I mentioned, you can make a catalog for any drive external or internal.   Mine are on external drives.   I did have a problem once when I disconnected the drive to take it somewhere and the damn fool Windows 7 gave it a new drive name (G) instead of (F) when I reconnected it.    LR can cope with this but how to tell it to do it was not initially clear.

Thanks Peter, I have been working in Lr after viewing a few tutorials and discovered that when I import existing catalogues into Lr the images remain where they are. Lr catalogue seems to just apply a pointer to the images/files.

I'm beginning to like Lr catalogues. But it is early days yet and I shall see how it goes over the next few days.

Allan

Allan

Allan,

Thanks Peter, I have been working in Lr after viewing a few tutorials and discovered that when I import existing catalogues into Lr the images remain where they are. Lr catalogue seems to just apply a pointer to the images/files.

I'm beginning to like Lr catalogues. But it is early days yet and I shall see how it goes over the next few days.

Allan

Yes, you can choose what you want Lightroom to do. It can copy to another location and put a second copy somewhere too. Or you can just leave images where they are. Lots of choices and decisions to make when you first start out but then it is automatic and easy.

Paulette

Paulette

Not necessarily!   If I delete or move any files from any folder, I just go to the affected folder in LR, right click on it and click "Synchronize folder".   It does that, updates to include your changes in only 2 clicks...

Is this the only way, or can I set LR to automatically update it's catalogue when I make changes elsewhere? Does the synchronise work if a file is renamed and moved?

At the moment, all the other tools I use work directly on the Windows file structure. File directories update instantly when I make changes (obviously) , and Windows also seems to be very good at updating thumbnails and search indexes tags etc. All very WYSIWIG (What You See Is What You've Got).  I don't have to right click anything.

I seem to recall LR can be set to have a "watch folder". What would happen if I set that to "My Pictures" (and all subfolders). Would that achieve automatic synchronisation of the catalogue including

Automatically importing new files

Automatically removing files from the catalogue that have been deleted (is there a way to set this, at the moment I keep getting "file missing" messages)

Automatically updating the names and locations of files that have been renamed or moved

Updating the preview images for files that have been edited elsewhere

If so, I need to take another look.

Many peeps seem to forget that you can manage your library file structure in Lightroom totally manually also.

The library hierarchy tree on the left does allow drag and drop moving of folders, folder creation and renaming etc.. much in the same way as the operating system... It is possible to use this to manage your folder structure in much the same way as the OS.. There are also some nice feature like selecting a number of images in a number of folders then in the tree create a new folder somewhere and the selected images are moved there... There really are a lot of manual management tools in that tree....

It might not be quite as simple (i.e. having to right-click to rename as opposed to hitting <enter> and typing the name on a mac) but overall I feel the advantages hugely outweigh the disadvantages...

Is this the only way, or can I set LR to automatically update it's catalogue when I make changes elsewhere? Does the synchronise work if a file is renamed and moved?

At the moment, all the other tools I use work directly on the Windows file structure. File directories update instantly when I make changes (obviously) , and Windows also seems to be very good at updating thumbnails and search indexes tags etc. All very WYSIWIG (What You See Is What You've Got).  I don't have to right click anything.

I seem to recall LR can be set to have a "watch folder". What would happen if I set that to "My Pictures" (and all subfolders). Would that achieve automatic synchronisation of the catalogue including

Automatically importing new files

Automatically removing files from the catalogue that have been deleted (is there a way to set this, at the moment I keep getting "file missing" messages)

Automatically updating the names and locations of files that have been renamed or moved

Updating the preview images for files that have been edited elsewhere

If so, I need to take another look.

I am not sure about the automation options, I have not ventured into that (yet).

But, the "Synchronize folders"  works on subfolders as well.

So if, at the end of your work session, you go into the file structure in LR Library and go to a level one above any changes and click "Synchronize folders" it will work through them all and pick up any changes, such as files renamed and moved.

Just tried that works a treat. Still getting to grips with Developer though. Tried to enter IPTC/exif data in some images but did not work. My fault. Will find how to do it soon.

Allan

Archived