ACR & Lightroom

Thanks for all the tips folks. Just been playing with folders and synchronization. I hadn't realised that synchronize will also import new images in a folder, that should save me some time.

One of the reasons I seem to be using a collection of tools is that each seems to have their own strengths. For initial image review I use Breeze Browser. It's so fast. I can view up to 4 images side by side at 100% and use a synchronized pan and scroll to move around them to check focus etc. When I try this in Lightroom, I only seem to be able compare 2 images at a time and it's very slow to show them at 100%. I imagine it's quicker if I set 1:1 previews on import, but then that's slows the import process. Why slowly import images I might discard?

Breeze Browser seems really clever on this. I shoot Raw + fullsize jpeg. Breezebrowser knows the Raw and jpg are linked. There's no need to import into a catalogue and when I browse it uses the jpgs (so it's real quick - no raw processing required). When I tag jpegs for deletion (the rejects) it deletes both the Raw and Jpeg.

I also use Breeze Browser to drag image files and folders around so I've got the "keepers" where I want them..

I then use LR to import only the images I've saved and then convert Raw to PSD (with various adjustments in LR) which I then edit in PSE to produce final jpegs.

Thanks for all the tips folks. Just been playing with folders and synchronization. I hadn't realised that synchronize will also import new images in a folder, that should save me some time.

One of the reasons I seem to be using a collection of tools is that each seems to have their own strengths. For initial image review I use Breeze Browser. It's so fast. I can view up to 4 images side by side at 100% and use a synchronized pan and scroll to move around them to check focus etc. When I try this in Lightroom, I only seem to be able compare 2 images at a time and it's very slow to show them at 100%. I imagine it's quicker if I set 1:1 previews on import, but then that's slows the import process. Why slowly import images I might discard?

Breeze Browser seems really clever on this. I shoot Raw + fullsize jpeg. Breezebrowser knows the Raw and jpg are linked. There's no need to import into a catalogue and when I browse it uses the jpgs (so it's real quick - no raw processing required). When I tag jpegs for deletion (the rejects) it deletes both the Raw and Jpeg.

I also use Breeze Browser to drag image files and folders around so I've got the "keepers" where I want them..

I then use LR to import only the images I've saved and then convert Raw to PSD (with various adjustments in LR) which I then edit in PSE to produce final jpegs.

it sounds like you are fine with your method but Lightroom does let you choose a number of images to compare in "Survey View". Get it from the View menu or the little symbol that has more than two little boxes in it.

Paulette

As IT'er I use different systems (pc's/laptops) and like to test different softwares. My latest main desktop is dual booting linux/windows. On the linux side I'm mainly using Geeqie/Picasa/Darktable. On the windows side I'm mainly using Picasa/Viewnx/Lightroom. Lightroom is only used as developer if more editing is to be done that can not be done in viewnx. I'm shooting raw+jpegs and my raw's are in one folder and jpeg's in another. In lightroom only my raw folder is imported and when adding new subdirectories/pictures I perform a synchronize. Since a while I keep all raws but the jpegs folders are cleaned with only the keepers. This way it is flexible to test out other softwares or change system.

Just tried that works a treat. Still getting to grips with Developer though. Tried to enter IPTC/exif data in some images but did not work. My fault. Will find how to do it soon.

Allan

Allan,

The Exif data is visible in the right hand panel when you are in "Library", not visible in "Develop".    The latest version LR5.5 usefully shows ISO/FL/shutter speed/Aperture under the histogram.   Before this came, I often had to switch back to Library to check ISO so that I new what I had to do with noise.  Now it is there to see in Develop.

I have not yet learned how to add IPTC data, I do that after exporting to PS.  I only have PS2 but it is fine for any final tweaks and adding IPTC data before uploading.

I have not yet learned how to add IPTC data, I do that after exporting to PS.  I only have PS2 but it is fine for any final tweaks and adding IPTC data before uploading.

Library view>metadata>IPTC

Type in data.

To apply the same data to multiple images, select them in grid view then click Sync metadata.

The Exif data is visible in the right hand panel when you are in "Library", not visible in "Develop".    The latest version LR5.5 usefully shows ISO/FL/shutter speed/Aperture under the histogram.   Before this came, I often had to switch back to Library to check ISO so that I new what I had to do with noise.  Now it is there to see in Develop.

You may also display exif meta data as a sort of overly at the top of the image in develop. Try using the "I" key shortcut, it cycles around 2 data versions and none being displayed (3 options in total).

I have not yet learned how to add IPTC data

Library view>metadata>IPTC

Type in data.

To apply the same data to multiple images, select them in grid view then click Sync metadata.

If you select multiple images before you enter the data (if the fields are different they will all be over written and changed to the same) you can edit iptc fields for multiple images in a single action. (I.e select images to be affected in grid view. Type new value in relevant field. Press enter)

Archived