National Trust pro photographers' scheme

Can't answer your question John, like the others very unhappy about NT attitude to photography, but have retained my membership.

Have sold shot of NT property  taken from public road, gave me great pleasure!

Suspect that they would make more from entry fees/subscriptions  of stock shooters than they would ever get from royalties on the photos. Short sighted policy.

I have been NT member for years but would never join the scheme and I too, resent their attitude. I have also sold several pics of NT properties and grounds etc., all taken ON NT properties - but, shhhhh  please don't tell anyone!

• 3 weeks later...

I have been NT member for years but would never join the scheme and I too, resent their attitude. I have also sold several pics of NT properties and grounds etc., all taken ON NT properties - but, shhhhh  please don't tell anyone!

I promise I won't.... I too have images taken on NT property, mainly wildlife, but also other stuff. Subject isolation is good. I would challenge anyone to recognise where they were taken but  remeber to disable your GPS if you are so endowed.

I had a rather surrealistic conversation with one of their media liason officers. Life is far too short. I thought the NT was "The People's Trust " but there again....

I also had photos taken on NT property removed from Alamy, despite the fact that the images were of horse trials that just happened to be using the grounds of a stately home as its venue.

Based on the NT's attitude to photography and experiences of its sheer buffoonery regarding membership administration, I now refuse to have anything to do with the organisation.

Pics still appearing on Alamy so its all a bit of a joke particularly as we were all told to take them down a few years ago. Would have thought that with Alamys computer power they could automatically block any NT uploads via the key words.

Perhaps they were not that keen on taking them down in the first place! I would not bother but good luck to anybody who does. 

Regen

In my searches I have noticed the odd sweep of named NT properties, some of which I have images of on Alamy. It made me wonder if the NT were trawling image libraries, for NT images, which they considered warranted take down notices?

I'll freely admit that I couldn't match the skills of the photographers who the NT engage professionally for their advertising images.

Having said that, I look for the shots, many of which don't include the buildings, and yet show another -positive - side of the NT property to interested members/casual visitors.( I don't believe I'm the only one who does this). Having those images fall foul of their guidelines would be an unwelcome draconian reaction and completely unwarranted, from my own personal viewpoint.

The NT, judging from this forum, have generated a lot of bad publicity for themselves because I assume the members of this forum, who post about, have experienced first hand this policy, or just read the NT topic,spread it wider and wider.

Thwarting excellent free publicity, which may boost visitor numbers, from talented and skilled image takers seems a strange thing to do.

'Nuff said.

Krisken

The NT, judging from this forum, have generated a lot of bad publicity for themselves because I assume the members of this forum, who post about, have experienced first hand this policy, or just read the NT topic,spread it wider and wider.

Thwarting excellent free publicity, which may boost visitor numbers, from talented and skilled image takers seems a strange thing to do.

'Nuff said.

Krisken

Visitor numbers was a problem I ran into many years ago when shooting for NT property managers (as opposed to NT). They were concerned over having too many visitors after articles appeared about certain gardens, when they had no forewarning of the publicity. It's not as simple as boosting numbers since some properties, the one I was shooting in particular, simply couldn't manage excess numbers - car parks etc. Having seen the results (on an odd occasion I went in on a public day) I have a small (very small amount) of sympathy for the property managers but the NTPL could handle this in a much better way.

The permit is too draconian and a rethink might alleviate the one-sided nature of the current arrangement.

we were all told to take them down a few years ago. Would have thought that with Alamys computer power they could automatically block any NT uploads via the key words.

Regen

I wasn't told.

Presumably not having 'National Trust' in the keywords would help.

Archived