Confused on how I should keyword this photo

I took this photo of the CN tower on Friday. When I looked at it in PS, I noticed the people at the top of the tower doing what is called an edgewalk. I did not notice them when I took the picture. Below this pic is the full sized image of the people. I"d like to add the edgewalk to the keywording, but fear the people are distinctly out of focus, so would fear a refund if it sold under that criteria. But think it still adds value to the shot and should be mentioned.

sample-edgewalk-full.jpg

The rest of this shot is quite sharp in most of the places but up at the top where the people are. Would you include the edgewalk in the keywording?

sample-edgwalk.jpg

Appreciate your feedback.

Jill

That's a tricky one. I've always been confused about how much detail Alamy requires in long-lens shots like these. Still am.

Having said that, I would definitely put "edgewalk" in the keywords.

Personally, I'd be more worried about QC than clients. I don't think I would be brave enough to submit this one to Alamy given the fact that I'm trying to get my good QC record back. Your situation might be different, though. If you're not in the "28 working days" club like me, you might give it a go.

That's a tricky one. I've always been confused about how much detail Alamy requires in long-lens shots like these. Still am.

Personally, I'd be more worried about QC than clients. I don't think I would be brave enough to submit this one to Alamy given the fact that I'm trying to get my good QC record back. Your situation might be different, though. If you're not in the "28 working days" club like me, you might give it a go.

I actually had my first fail this week - the same day I had my first sale. A pic I didn't mean to include. But only one day from submission to notification.

As the photo is taken from the ground up, the the underside and front of the observation deck are sharpest with the focal point diminishing as you go up the top of the deck. I don't think the photo would fail based on the teen tiny people, but I just worry about clients looking for it and expecting the teeny people to be in sharp focus as well.

It is difficult sometimes to decide if alamy will think the people are the focal point of the shot, which they aren't. If they do, then it might fail. But I think unlikely.

Jill

The inclusion of the people is good in that it gives a sense of scale to the tower but in every other respect I think they are insignificant.

As such I would make no further reference to them in keywording.

I actually had my first fail this week - the same day I had my first sale. A pic I didn't mean to include. But only one day from submission to notification.

As the photo is taken from the ground up, the the underside and front of the observation deck are sharpest with the focal point diminishing as you go up the top of the deck. I don't think the photo would fail based on the teen tiny people, but I just worry about clients looking for it and expecting the teeny people to be in sharp focus as well.

It is difficult sometimes to decide if alamy will think the people are the focal point of the shot, which they aren't. If they do, then it might fail. But I think unlikely.

Jill

In that case, I'd probably compromise and put edgewalk in the keywords but not in the caption. Refunds are rare IME, and including it would probably increase the likelihood of making a sale. Edgewalking has been been in the media quite a bit lately (doesn't appeal to me in the least, however). Good luck.

I have two photos of the London Shard (D3N084 - D3N0HN) which at the time was being cleaned near the top and it did lead to a similar question - is it about cleaning or about the building? With the benefit of hindsight I think the image is primarily about the building - as is yours - and would put cleaning (or in your case edge walking) in the comprehensive keywords.  I will be revisiting my caption and key wording as a result.

Also note that both "edgewalk" and edgewalk at CN tower" have been searched for in the last year, and there are only 10 alamy images that come up for "edgewalk" all of which are at the CN tower. 

So no real need to put edgewalk in the caption or esskeys but I would certainly put it in the main keywords - anybody searching for it will still see it.

In terms of overall sharpness I would have thought this would pass QC

Let us know what you decide to do!

Kumar

Ah, an edge-sharpness (acutance) issue on an EdgeWalk.  :)  Looking at the four people at 100% (or larger) I can distinctly see the separation of the yellow, red and black material -- there's no blurring of these lines of material. I would be shocked, shocked!, if QC failed this image. 

(But if they do fail it, my spin story will be that someone else hacked in here and wrote the above.)

Edo

I took this photo of the CN tower on Friday. When I looked at it in PS, I noticed the people at the top of the tower doing what is called an edgewalk. I did not notice them when I took the picture. Below this pic is the full sized image of the people. I"d like to add the edgewalk to the keywording, but fear the people are distinctly out of focus, so would fear a refund if it sold under that criteria. But think it still adds value to the shot and should be mentioned.

sample-edgewalk-full.jpg

The rest of this shot is quite sharp in most of the places but up at the top where the people are. Would you include the edgewalk in the keywording?

Appreciate your feedback.

Jill

It's not really a photograph about edgewalking so if I was looking  to illustrate this would this image fill the bill. I suspect not so for me I wouldn't include in the keywords

I would include it in the keywords.  It's not a closeup of the walkers, but gives a different perspective.  Perhaps that's something a buyer might be looking for.

Not something I'd want to try!

Archived