Fuji X-T1 vs Sony RX10? David?

Just received the XT-1 and the dog is already tired of me chasing it around the house.  I'm impressed so far.  The thing I found that I didn't like is the RAW files are not yet supported in Lightroom.  You can download Adobe Camera RAW release candidate 8.4 but for some reason the release candidate doesn't work in Lightroom (only in Photoshop).

I'm going to have fun this weekend :)

Just received the XT-1 and the dog is already tired of me chasing it around the house.  I'm impressed so far.  The thing I found that I didn't like is the RAW files are not yet supported in Lightroom.  You can download Adobe Camera RAW release candidate 8.4 but for some reason the release candidate doesn't work in Lightroom (only in Photoshop).

I'm going to have fun this weekend :)

I'm sure you'll enjoy it. By the way, the film simulations are in ACR 8.4 so you can apply them there as well as the camera.

2 things I've stumbled on.

1. While reviewing an image, Focus Assist button toggles between 100%/max view and fit in screen. Nice time saver.

2. When in manual mode, a long press on the same Focus Assist button will toggle between Split Screen, Focus Peaking & Standard. I like using the dual screen in manual mode (change via Disp Back while looking through the view finder)

The point about the RX10 is that you may just not trust it, and be completely wrong. I don't use mine much as I have such a selection of things to use (on loan for review, or owned). But I decided to use it to shoot exhibition stands and stuff happening last week, and of course, it was far better than any single zoom on any of my other cameras would have been. The real dilemma for me is that the RX10 actually does everything I need, including super-smooth video with full control over excellent sound. I just need to take the step of leaving everything else behind and using it.

There you go.  That does back up what Ed says about the lens being a great one.

David: “I'm shocked, shocked to find that 'agreement' is going on here!" 

It is an amazing camera that continues to amaze me. Mostly I shoot RAW, but, boy, are some of those SCENE selections amazingly effective. I found that there is some unexpected noise occasionally, even in moderate ISO . . . but a quick adjustment of the Luminance slide in LR5 and all is well. I have never had an image fail QC for noise . . . have any of you? 

"I have trouble holding the tiny camera straight." -- Betty  We should really stay away from Bourbon or beer when using this little camera, you know, the camera that looks like a fat cell phone. 

It was the various rum drinks that did me in.  When my sister & I checked into our cottage 50 feet from the water, a bottle of rum sat on the table as a gift from the owners.  They produce rum on St. Croix.  Fun times.

ReeRay, I had seen that review and it is a fine one.  In spite of everything good about the RX10, I am still leaning toward the Fuji for these reasons.

1.  I have the RX100, same sensor as the RX10.  The lens is also a Zeiss.  Also a 20mp.  I'm sure the RX10 takes it to a new level and has some features the 100 doesn't, but still....

2.  With my varied style of shooting, even though I want to go small and light, I still need some lenses with reach, more than 200mm.  

I felt constrained with the RX100's 200mm reach.  And no, I have the extra reach disabled.  I've heard it's not good.  Even with the Fuji super zoom to come out, the rig would still be a whole lot lighter than my D800 and 80-400.  In fact, probably no heavier than my 80-400 by itself.

<snip>
I have trouble holding the tiny camera straight. I use the grid lines, but in bright sunlight they are hard to see. I tend to tilt up or down, mainly.  Somehow with an optical viewfinder that doesn't happen. Maybe my nose serves a purpose besides breathing.

Have you tried the level display?

It's under DISP Button (Monitor) in the third tab # 1 (the wheel #1) of the Menu.

I wish it could beep. ;-)

wim

Yes, I do have that on.  Trouble is I forget to look at it.  I'm so used to sticking my eye up to a viewfinder and seeing everything in there!

As I said, the lack of an optical viewfinder is my biggest nit with it, but I just need to shoot it more and get used to it.

I cannot comment at all about the Fuji cameras, except that they are reported to be very good.  I can add something about my experience with the RX10.

I started contributing to Alamy in 2005 and since then I have bought and sold cameras and lenses many times. Often I had to choose between carrying heavy kit and leaving at home lenses that I might need.

I have been using my RX10 for about 6 weeks now.   I have already sold my last DSLR and most of the lenses which have been the mainstay of my photographic equipment.   I have still kept a couple of Olympus PEN bodies (worth very little if sold), mostly for using with a macro lens, or if I want to go out for a bit of fun with a 35mm EFL prime lens.  The likely selling price of the equipment sent for commission sale is about 1.5 times the cost of the RX10.

I still have my RX100 which goes with me if I am going anywhere where photography is not the main aim - shopping for example.  

Anytime I can conveniently carry  a camera, the RX10 is on a shoulder strap.    It still seems rather strange after 6 weeks (I feel as though I should be carrying more), but the RX10 really does everything I need.  The cameras bought and sold in the past were of course keeping up with developing technology, but the RX10 could certainly have taken every image in my Alamy Collection, very many of them to much better quality than I achieved.

I worried a bit about low light capability, but a recent visit to a local railway museum showed that it can easily handle this.

The fact of having mode dial, aperture, zoom, exposure +/- and focus mode all with external controls make it a joy to use. I can carry it all day without noticing the weight.

If I were into sport, wildlife or other demanding long range or very low light work I would need other cameras, but for what I do the RX,10 is plenty.

I am looking forward to a DK review of the RX10 which is likely to show some useful things I would never discover on my own...

What convinced me to buy it was Ed Rooney's comment that a decent lens would cost that much and you get a good camera on the back of it. 

Thanks Ed it really works for me…

I cannot comment at all about the Fuji cameras, except that they are reported to be very good.  I can add something about my experience with the RX10.

I started contributing to Alamy in 2005 and since then I have bought and sold cameras and lenses many times. Often I had to choose between carrying heavy kit and leaving at home lenses that I might need.

I have been using my RX10 for about 6 weeks now.   I have already sold my last DSLR and most of the lenses which have been the mainstay of my photographic equipment.   I have still kept a couple of Olympus PEN bodies (worth very little if sold), mostly for using with a macro lens, or if I want to go out for a bit of fun with a 35mm EFL prime lens.  The likely selling price of the equipment sent for commission sale is about 1.5 times the cost of the RX10.

I still have my RX100 which goes with me if I am going anywhere where photography is not the main aim - shopping for example.  

Anytime I can conveniently carry  a camera, the RX10 is on a shoulder strap.    It still seems rather strange after 6 weeks (I feel as though I should be carrying more), but the RX10 really does everything I need.  The cameras bought and sold in the past were of course keeping up with developing technology, but the RX10 could certainly have taken every image in my Alamy Collection, very many of them to much better quality than I achieved.

I worried a bit about low light capability, but a recent visit to a local railway museum showed that it can easily handle this.

The fact of having mode dial, aperture, zoom, exposure +/- and focus mode all with external controls make it a joy to use. I can carry it all day without noticing the weight.

If I were into sport, wildlife or other demanding long range or very low light work I would need other cameras, but for what I do the RX,10 is plenty.

I am looking forward to a DK review of the RX10 which is likely to show some useful things I would never discover on my own...

What convinced me to buy it was Ed Rooney's comment that a decent lens would cost that much and you get a good camera on the back of it. 

Very nice testimony for this camera, Peter.

It is truly amazing what developers come up with to make everything we've bought obsolete.  I'm sure they are sitting on further amazing developments already done, but are probably offering new cameras with just a few of those developments.  We, the buying public, rush to buy, then the next year, they release a new one  with a few more of those developments.  [Fuji X-T2 with 20mp, larger sensor and better noise handling) and so on, keeping the cash flowing into their coffers.

One day, we'll point a wrist watch for men and a pendant for women, or something like that, and it will outperform anything we've shot in the past.  Nobody will be safe from those stealth cameras!  I know governments are using things like that for their spies, but I doubt they are 36mp. ;)

Betty

Betty they are probably quite feasible right now.

There was a thread on the old forum some time ago about images being taken by a satellite orbiting earth which took pictures of people on the surface and they were recognisable to the extent that the security forces could identify them.

At least I seem to think that was the case.

Allan

Good, Peter. That's the only logical thought I've had since May 1986. And I forget what that one was. 

Have you had any problems with the RX10? We haven't heard from JeffG recently as to how his RX10 is working out for him. 

The young guy in Alberta who does video reviews was complaining that the 24-200 (view) of the zoom was skimpy. I don't know what he's talking about; that's more reach than most street zooms have. The new Fuji has an 18-55. And the Fuji is pricy. And I like the fact that on the Fuji we can change lenses . . . but If I have a very sharp 24-200 street zoom to work with why would I need much else? I might get that 10-18 for my NEX-6. but here in NYC I can get along without anything longer than 200mm. As I've said, I don't do birds. I could. We have a major bird spot in Central Park. 135mm is about the max of what I need. 

Very good review here by a very good photographer

http://blog.mingthein.com/2014/01/03/review-the-sony-rx10/#more-7808

Thanks so much for dropping that in, ReeRay.

I agree with almost all his positive and negative points, although none of the negatives are anywhere near deal-beakers for me. I already own and value the RX10, of course. He writes well, he gets to the heart of all matters mentioned. His illustrative images are soooo good, not art or even "art," rather a visual way of showing what this camera can do. Bravo.

His name tells me he's second or third generation Vietnamese . . . or maybe he got out on "coffin boat" as a child. (Coffin boat is an Irish term, as many of you might know, but the Vietnamese boat people had to go through that too.) "Minh" means light (Ho Chi Minh was the man's title, "bringer of the light," not his name). "Thein," well, I don't really know what that means or remember. 

I welcome this young man to America and to our profession, but when I think of all the lives that were lost on both sides to make this possible, I do feel more than a little ill. I raise a glass to the surveyors. 

Ed:

No, I have not had any (serious) problems with the RX10.

Maybe the RX10 was easy to learn because I have had about a year's experience with the RX100.  I had a good few problems with the RX100, but it is really working well for me now.

One small RX10 problem was getting a sharp focus on moving subjects.  The focus is very fast and I usually just have it set to "S" (single).   But if, for example, I am trying to shoot a fast moving Ambulance, I now set the focus to "C" (continuous), pick up the subject when it some distance away and let it follow the action until it is in the right place, then press the shutter. 

The moving focus point on both the RX10 and the RX100 is also very handy for any close up off centre subject.

I have pretty well everything I might like to change under the Fn button but rarely use it.

I use Aperture priority, very easy with the aperture ring, like cameras used to be.   I have the zoom ring set to "step",  this makes it easy to set the zoom when I am lining up a shot without holding it up to my eye or looking at the screen..  If I need to move the zoom fast I use the toggle round the shutter button.

I have the "C" button set to adjust ISO very quick and easy to do.   I have set the left button on the rear dial to control the ND filter.   I never had or needed an ND filter before but it is handy when you have f2.8 for the whole zoom range.

I have not tried any video yet.    I have never used the flash either,  I agree with Henri Cartier-Bresson who said that using flash was rude, like breaking wind in public.

I do have an Olympus FL50 flash gun if needed and I tried it on the RX10, where it works well.

Have you any settings that you would like to share?

Peter, this is off topic, but since I started it, :) I want to ask you about your RX100.  So far I've only shot it in RAW, using Intelligent Auto and Superior auto.  I think I tried Program once and didn't like it. It's set on ISO Auto,  (I think 500 upper) and I sometimes think the camera chooses a higher ISO than necessary.  Although indoor images without flash have had a grain-like noise, not at all ugly.  Those passed here.

Since you seem to have mastered it, what settings get you the best results?  Do you use A, S, or M?

I have gotten some really nice images on Intelligent & Superior auto, but feel I may be missing out on even better.  When I got this camera, everyone in the forum said, "Put it on auto and shoot."  So that's what I did.  I did buy a book but it's been awhile since I looked at it.  Besides, a book is a book, it doesn't tell me real world results from photographers.

Betty

Ed:

No, I have not had any (serious) problems with the RX10.

Maybe the RX10 was easy to learn because I have had about a year's experience with the RX100.  I had a good few problems with the RX100, but it is really working well for me now.

One small RX10 problem was getting a sharp focus on moving subjects.  The focus is very fast and I usually just have it set to "S" (single).   But if, for example, I am trying to shoot a fast moving Ambulance, I now set the focus to "C" (continuous), pick up the subject when it some distance away and let it follow the action until it is in the right place, then press the shutter. 

The moving focus point on both the RX10 and the RX100 is also very handy for any close up off centre subject.

I have pretty well everything I might like to change under the Fn button but rarely use it.

I use Aperture priority, very easy with the aperture ring, like cameras used to be.   I have the zoom ring set to "step",  this makes it easy to set the zoom when I am lining up a shot without holding it up to my eye or looking at the screen..  If I need to move the zoom fast I use the toggle round the shutter button.

I have the "C" button set to adjust ISO very quick and easy to do.   I have set the left button on the rear dial to control the ND filter.   I never had or needed an ND filter before but it is handy when you have f2.8 for the whole zoom range.

I have not tried any video yet.    I have never used the flash either,  I agree with Henri Cartier-Bresson who said that using flash was rude, like breaking wind in public.

I do have an Olympus FL50 flash gun if needed and I tried it on the RX10, where it works well.

Have you any settings that you would like to share?

Peter, even after my two mugs of super espresso, my mind remains blank on "settings that you/I would like to share." I'm sometimes usefully intuitive as to how and why I do things when taking pictures, but I'm not the tech guy you seem to be. I'm interested in the subject and the interpretation of the subject and I often get paranoid that too much involvement with  technology pulls me away from the subject, the mission. Can some people be heavily involved in tech and take good pictures? They can, they do--no question. But I'm so painfully right-brained that it doesn't work well for me. Sure, basically, I know how to work with cameras--I have to. 

I am a big fan of our RX10. I'm really looking forward to doing a lot of shooting with it this spring. Thanks for your many good tips.  :)

Edo

A very important FYI to add to this thread: 

Alamy has the Sony RX10 on its Recommended List. That was fast! The Fuji X-T1 is not there yet, but I'm sure it will be; it's only been available for about 1/2 hour.   :)

As an example of my tech ineptness, after weeks of advice and grappling with simple-to-most-of-you problems, I finally figured out how to add my image to My Blog about The Diver. It's small but effective, I think . . . except someone told me they can't see it???  http://edoruan2.blogspot.com

I placed my order with B&H today.  Fuji X-T1 body, and the new 56mm 1.2 lens just released. 

I went back and forth on the lens.  Zeiss has a 50mm 2.8 that is a macro 1:1.

The Zeiss cost the same as the Fuji 56mm.  But I couldn't scare up many sample images taken with the Zeiss, other than portraits, and I have seen a lot of outstanding images, taken by real-world photographers, with the Fuji.  It is sharp corner to corner.  Both are good portrait lenses.

The Fuji is much faster, too.  Hope I don't get buyer's regret.  One review on the Fuji 56 did say it was like owning a Zeiss.

I am on a waiting list for both camera and lens, so I can forget about it until I get an email from B&H saying they're shipping.

Oh, some are reporting light leaks around some openings, I think to do with remote release/timer for long exposures,  but Fuji is fixing those and I am hoping the copy I get will not even have the problem. I think part of the backorder is because Fuji is fixing that problem before shipping new orders.

Betty

I placed my order with B&H today.  Fuji X-T1 body, and the new 56mm 1.2 lens just released. 

Oh, some are reporting light leaks around some openings, I think to do with remote release/timer for long exposures,  but Fuji is fixing those and I am hoping the copy I get will not even have the problem. I think part of the backorder is because Fuji is fixing that problem before shipping new orders.

Betty

Good luck with your purchase Betty. The X-T1 seemed to becoming generally available but since the light leak reports (apparently acknowledged with a proper response from Fuji) few retailers have them in stock. Like you, I suspect, that supplies have probably been held up while they sort out the problem.

Oh well, when I eventually order mine I will have saved enough to be able to order it with a lens as well; 14mm would give me wide angle capability, or do I go for a fast prime, 56, 35 or 23mm? All seem to have had good press.

Martin, be sure you order 2nd Gen Fuji lenses.  http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/xf_lens/roadmap/

The ones from 2013-14.  I heard on the Fuji forum that the first Gen X mount lenses are slower to focus.  That's one reason I didn't order the 60mm macro, said to hunt in low light.

Join the forum, lots of good stuff to be mined there.  http://www.fujix-forum.com/index.php?

Betty

That's good advice, thanks Betty.

At the moment I only have the 18-55 and 55-200 for my X-E1.  With an X-T1 I plan to look at the optically faster WR lenses that are in the pipeline to see if I can ditch my FF Canon outfit for my, now fairly occasional, sport work. I might even go back to doing more if the kit is lighter!

The newer lenses are pricy.  But if one hold out, saves up, I think it will pay off to get the later editions.  Like you, I am planning on the long term, so I want to get the best lenses Fuji offers, even if I have to wait months before getting the next one.  It's easy to grab the cheaper ones so you have the ranges you need, but then later, you get lens envy, have to sell off what you have to get better.

I'm just going to go after better out of the chute.  I'm going to be very limited in range for awhile.  The portraits and street shots I saw with the 56mm convinced me I had to have that lens.

I may decide to be a street shooter, lol!  That's one area I've not done.  About the only one I can think of.  Oh, yes, I don't do news or sports. My few attempts at basketball left me frustrated at the bad and mixed light.  High school gyms with one kind of light at one end, another kind at the other. But then, I was shooting with lenses that weren't very fast, and a camera showing a lot more noise than what I've had recently. Also, I had a deep fear of high ISOs.

I shot a lot of basketball so I know what you mean, my son went to the US at 16 to see how far he could go with it. Two high school State finals (a 1st and 2nd) and he played professionally part-time while studying in France. It is probably the hardest sport to shoot well that I have covered but then I have never tried hockey (ice)!

Archived