Fuji X-T1 vs Sony RX10? David?

I placed my order with B&H today.  Fuji X-T1 body, and the new 56mm 1.2 lens just released. 

I went back and forth on the lens.  Zeiss has a 50mm 2.8 that is a macro 1:1.

The Zeiss cost the same as the Fuji 56mm.  But I couldn't scare up many sample images taken with the Zeiss, other than portraits, and I have seen a lot of outstanding images, taken by real-world photographers, with the Fuji.  It is sharp corner to corner.  Both are good portrait lenses.

The Fuji is much faster, too.  Hope I don't get buyer's regret.  One review on the Fuji 56 did say it was like owning a Zeiss.

I am on a waiting list for both camera and lens, so I can forget about it until I get an email from B&H saying they're shipping.

Oh, some are reporting light leaks around some openings, I think to do with remote release/timer for long exposures,  but Fuji is fixing those and I am hoping the copy I get will not even have the problem. I think part of the backorder is because Fuji is fixing that problem before shipping new orders.

Betty

The 56mm is a superb lens, very sharp even wide open. Build quality is excellent, focus and aperture ring are well dampened.

With regards to the light leak. I have one of the ones effected by this but I'm unlikely to return it unless something else goes wrong with it. I carried out a couple of tests with it and if the door is shut, no problem. If I shine a torch into the sockets with the door open then there is light leak. I only ever use the mic socket for a remote trigger (when not using the tethering app) so I popped a piece of electricians tape over and made a small whole for the mic plug. I have since tested long exposures of greater than 5 minutes with no light leak. I would expect current copies being sent out to be ok but if not, and you don't do long exposure work, it won't impact on you anyway. If you do, you can send it in for a fix or bring out the electricians tape ;)

Another fast lens that impressed was the 23mm f/1.4..... very nice! My main primes are now the 14, 23 & 56 to go along with the 18-55 & 55-200. If you are into close up work, the 60mm is still an excellent lens and very good value, less than half the price of the 56mm. 

Edit. Keep an eye open for lens deals etc. There's one in the UK that gives you £100 off most lenses (Except the 56mm) and £300 off if you buy 2. There are similar, if not better ones, in the US. Infact, I recall seeing someone say they saved a bundle by buying them from the US and paying import duty here. I think lenses are covered by international warranty, not 100% sure about that though!

In the UK Fuji Shop occasionally sell "refurbished" lens at around £50-100 off typical retail prices. I have successfully bought similar kit from Canon with no problems. Of course once initial rush is over Fuji have been very active with promotional deals; inevitable I guess when they are building a market share.

Need to get selling more pics, my sales have collapsed, to justify the new "toys".

My ranking must've fallen sharply, because I'm getting no zooms, one tiny sale in Feb. Nothing for March.  Horrible.  I did look at a seller on eBay selling X lenses, but the one I was interested in, the bid was almost up to normal price.  Wasn't worth the hassle, and probably would have gotten outbid anyway.  I will keep an eye out.

Duncan, good info there.

On B&H, in the tab "What's in the Box", there is a long list of items.  But only the top two are darker colors.  Does that mean only those two items come in the box?  I'm unsure whether a flash comes with it, and I do want the flash.  I also want a remote.  Never mind, looked again and it said the camera includes the flash.  Now to figure out the remote....Duncan, where did you get your remote?

Betty

Ah, shoot.  Don't go to the Fuji forum.  I repeat, do not go there!  I clicked on a link showing images and review of the new 10-24, and now have one on back order when B&H reopens after their holiday break.  I will soon be standing in the bread line.

That will give me 10-24, a gap, then 56mm. Not sure whether to :)  or :( .  The first on the lens, the 2nd on my savings account.

Betty

Ah, shoot.  Don't go to the Fuji forum.  I repeat, do not go there!  I clicked on a link showing images and review of the new 10-24, and now have one on back order when B&H reopens after their holiday break.  I will soon be standing in the bread line.

That will give me 10-24, a gap, then 56mm. Not sure whether to :)  or :( .  The first on the lens, the 2nd on my savings account.

Betty

Ha.ha.... yeah, it can be expensive. I read some reviews that the 10-24 zoom performs like a prime in terms of IQ, especially from 12-14mm! But I do love my 14mm prime  :)

The problem is they don't really know how to make a duff/average lens. They all seem to be good. While I like their cameras, I love their lenses even more. If you want to fill that gap, you could do far worse than go for the 18-55 and then add primes as and when. The "Kit Zoom" has a very good reputation and is very quiet focusing. 

If you prefer primes, then the 35mm would be a good choice (optically) although I've heard that they will be revisiting some of their earlier lenses to improve the motors used etc (35mm included).

Also, if you haven't ordered one, try their vertical grip.... I only occasionally take mine off, it makes for superb handling without adding to much more weight. When ever I head for the hills or need to keep weight down I just take it off!

Betty

Not far behind you Betty.

Called in at my local photographic retailer on Thursday to look at the X-T1 and ended up ordering the body AND a 10-24mm lens to go with my X-E2 and other lenses.

Getting rather carried away with the Fuji X range.

I still love my Sony RX100 too but can't see me getting a RX10.

Allan

Betty

Not far behind you Betty.

Called in at my local photographic retailer on Thursday to look at the X-T1 and ended up ordering the body AND a 10-24mm lens to go with my X-E2 and other lenses.

Getting rather carried away with the Fuji X range.

I still love my Sony RX100 too but can't see me getting a RX10.

Allan

That's hilarious, Allan, how weak we are.

We can go to the poorhouse together, and talk about the days when we shot film and still had money in our pockets.  No computer, no software, no having new cameras and lenses come out every 3 months to tempt us.

Like you, upon careful consideration, I decided since I had the RX100, the RX10 would be foolishness.  Same mp, same sensor, same range.  And, while I feel sure the RX10 is superior to the RX100, I decided to go with Fuji IQ and the ability to put on whatever lens I want.  Errr....have...err...can afford...oh well.  

Maybe by the time the X-T1 comes in to each of us, Photoshop/LR will have updated for it.  If not, we'll have to shoot RAW + jpeg until then.

Your situation of going into the shop and coming out having ordered reminds me of a situation years ago.  I had PCs for years, with Windows, before going Mac a few years ago.  One of the new Windows programs came out, lots of cool features, and I wanted to upgrade in the worst way.  But everyone was saying it was a bit buggy, and wait 6 months to give Microsoft a chance to fix them.  I made a determined effort to not go to any of the computer stores so I would not be tempted.

We have a Sam's club where with a membership, you can buy some food at bulk and at a discount.  A lot of other things sold there besides food. Jewelry, clothing, cameras, computers, and so on.  One day I went to buy food, and as I walked through the front door, 10 feet away and lined up with the door, there was this mountainous pile of Windows boxes staring me in the face.  

Like a robot...with glassy eyes...I walked...straight ahead...grabbed a box...checked out...forgot the food...went home and installed it.

Betty

Like a robot...with glassy eyes...I walked...straight ahead...grabbed a box...checked out...forgot the food...went home and installed it.

Betty

Oops! "Like minds" comes to mind Betty. :)

All this hardware acquisition does make me think that we were perhaps better off, from a taking photos point of view, in days past when we had less money and less equipment. You just went out and shot with what you had and made the best of it.

These days I often wonder which bits of kit to take out and invariably end up wishing I had something else with me as that once in a lifetime shot was missed by having the wrong lens or lenses and possibly even the wrong camera body.

Some full time pros seem to manage with a lot less kit than we are amassing, and produce more and better images.

Allan

WooHoo! Ordered X-T1 plus 10-24 lens last Thursday from my local dealer. Happened to be in town today and called in, they had the X-T1 AAND the 10-24 had just arrived before me. So got them both in one week of ordering.

My dealer reckons I am the first one to receive the 10-24 in my area.

Can't comment on the X-T1 yet but there is already enough on the forum about it except to say there is an offer on the box for a £250 off voucher for the XF18-135 weather resistant lens if purchased before 31st August this year. You need to register the body with Fuji, which I do with all my Fuji stuff anyway, to get the voucher. Well my dealer registers them for me, they being a platinum dealer with Fuji.

Oh! my dealer checked out the light leak problem for me before letting me take the camera out of the shop after I had mentioned the problem to him. The following is what he found on the net.

"Fuji USA says the light leak and flare issue occurs on a "limited number of early production X-T1 cameras" with serial numbers below 41A05201 (serial numbers 41A05201 and higher are not affected)."

​Fortunately the serial number only copy is one of the higher numbers.

Initial thoughts on the 10-24 lens, without trying it on the camera, the front element is very close to the front of the body and open to being easily damaged. Even the supplied hood will not offer much protection. Although I do not like "protection" filters on my lenses for various reasons I decided caution was better than valour in the case of this lens so have fitted a filter. Top quality of course. Just need to be careful of positioning when shooting to avoid possible flare on the filter, but caution would be needed in any case due to proximity of front element to front of lens.

Lovely lens though, tried it on another X-T1 body in the shop. I am going to have some fun with this one.

Allan

WooHoo! Ordered X-T1 plus 10-24 lens last Thursday from my local dealer. Happened to be in town today and called in, they had the X-T1 AAND the 10-24 had just arrived before me. So got them both in one week of ordering.

My dealer reckons I am the first one to receive the 10-24 in my area.

Can't comment on the X-T1 yet but there is already enough on the forum about it except to say there is an offer on the box for a £250 off voucher for the XF18-135 weather resistant lens if purchased before 31st August this year. You need to register the body with Fuji, which I do with all my Fuji stuff anyway, to get the voucher. Well my dealer registers them for me, they being a platinum dealer with Fuji.

Oh! my dealer checked out the light leak problem for me before letting me take the camera out of the shop after I had mentioned the problem to him. The following is what he found on the net.

"Fuji USA says the light leak and flare issue occurs on a "limited number of early production X-T1 cameras" with serial numbers below 41A05201 (serial numbers 41A05201 and higher are not affected)."

​Fortunately the serial number only copy is one of the higher numbers.

Initial thoughts on the 10-24 lens, without trying it on the camera, the front element is very close to the front of the body and open to being easily damaged. Even the supplied hood will not offer much protection. Although I do not like "protection" filters on my lenses for various reasons I decided caution was better than valour in the case of this lens so have fitted a filter. Top quality of course. Just need to be careful of positioning when shooting to avoid possible flare on the filter, but caution would be needed in any case due to proximity of front element to front of lens.

Lovely lens though, tried it on another X-T1 body in the shop. I am going to have some fun with this one.

Allan

Lucky man, hope you enjoy it. I would love to get the 10-24 but it will have to wait. You will have to let us know how you get on with it.... on second thoughts, that might not be a good idea (wallet wise)  :P

Allan, as we say in Oklahoma, "You are a rotten roach!"  Meaning how dare you get yours before I did, ;) .  Very happy for you.  What filter did you put on the 10-24?  Looks like I should do that, too.  When you have images accepted with your new camera, let me know, I'll look at your portfolio.

I went back to B&H online yesterday and modified my order.  I had ordered just the X-T1  body along with the 56mm and 10-24..  Canceled the body order and replaced it with camera plus 18-55.

Everyone says the 18-55 is a great lens, only nit was it was slower to focus on previous Fuji bodies, but faster on X-T1.  Decided that could be a great walk around lens. Might as well take advantage of the $200 savings I get as a package. 

(rotten roach, mumble, grumble)

Betty

Appologies Betty. Would not upset you in a month of Sundays. As we say.

One other thing to mention about the 10-24. It has internal zoom rather than extending length zoom as in the 18-55 and 55-200.

The filter is a Hoya Pro1 Digital UV (72mm of course) Although you can get "Protection" filter by the same maker. About £64 in the UK but some sell it cheaper. I only paid that to help my friendly dealer.

I did get a Hama 42 LED continuous variable output studio light from him, original price £79 for £25 though.

Allan

Appologies Betty. Would not upset you in a month of Sundays. As we say.

One other thing to mention about the 10-24. It has internal zoom rather than extending length zoom as in the 18-55 and 55-200.

The filter is a Hoya Pro1 Digital UV (72mm of course) Although you can get "Protection" filter by the same maker. About £64 in the UK but some sell it cheaper. I only paid that to help my friendly dealer.

I did get a Hama 42 LED continuous variable output studio light for him, original price £79 for £25 though.

Allan

Thanks for the filter info.  Your light sounds perfect for tabletop. Or...how else to use it?  My two continuous lights aren't variable, but to get variable, I just move the lights closer or farther.  They are working out really well. They came with softboxes.  But I didn't get a deal like you did.  Do you also charm the birds out of the trees? :)

Betty

I got it for tabletop work Betty, it is a Hama Power 42 LED Light model number 00060187.

I see Hama have it priced at £119 but it was reduced to £79 in the store. Had a lot of dust on it so I suggested as they have had it for a long time maybe they would want to get rid of it for £25.

Wish I could charm the birds out of the trees, or at least some sales out of Alamy. ;)

Allan

PS I tied to put a picture on here for you but failed. Try googling it.

• 3 months later...

Very good review here by a very good photographer

http://blog.mingthein.com/2014/01/03/review-the-sony-rx10/#more-7808

Thanks so much for dropping that in, ReeRay.

I agree with almost all his positive and negative points, although none of the negatives are anywhere near deal-beakers for me. I already own and value the RX10, of course. He writes well, he gets to the heart of all matters mentioned. His illustrative images are soooo good, not art or even "art," rather a visual way of showing what this camera can do. Bravo.

His name tells me he's second or third generation Vietnamese . . . or maybe he got out on "coffin boat" as a child. (Coffin boat is an Irish term, as many of you might know, but the Vietnamese boat people had to go through that too.) "Minh" means light (Ho Chi Minh was the man's title, "bringer of the light," not his name). "Thein," well, I don't really know what that means or remember. 

I welcome this young man to America and to our profession, but when I think of all the lives that were lost on both sides to make this possible, I do feel more than a little ill. I raise a glass to the surveyors. 

I was really enjoying the thread until I came across this post. Ed, how exactly does Ming's ethnic background fit with the discussion? I don't see you (or anyone else for that matter) bringing up anyone else's ethnicity into the discussion as it is both irrelevant and in this case your assessment is completely wrong. 'Ming' is not 'minh' and I very much doubt he 'got out on a coffin boat as a child' as he actually lives in Kuala Lumpur and not 'America' where you welcomed? him to along with 'your' profession where clearly he is a fairly well known professional photographer and far more talented than most.

" welcome this young man to America and to our profession, but when I think of all the lives that were lost on both sides to make this possible, I do feel more than a little ill.

The only thing that makes me feel 'more than a little ill' are comments and attitudes like the ones you have expressed on your post.

Archived