Keeping Raw and jpegs together in PS

Here is my workflow.  I download my card to a folder on my iMac desktop, title the folder.

Open in LR5, adjust, open into CS6 CC.  There I do any minor tweaks and keyword my images in Bridge.  Open and save to an Alamy folder in jpeg, and back to the folder in jpeg. I then delete the Tiff.

In the beginning while working in a folder, the tiffs and jpegs stay with my raw files.  Once I begin getting a good number of them developed, the tiffs and jpegs go to the bottom and are no longer beside the raw file.  If the shoot is big, I often spend days working through a folder.  I would like to be able to view my folder of images with all the like file names together.  

The way this is happening, I think I need to develop an image but in fact it has been done.  Usually I spend a lot of time scrolling to the bottom to see what is finished.  Dragging the tiff or jpeg up to the raw is a huge pain.  I spent an hour doing this in a folder this morning so I could tell what was left to work on.  I just realized I'd developed an image TWICE!  Grrrr, my time is more valuable than to waste it.

What am I missing?  Is there something in Preferences within CS6 where I can get continuity with my files? To get them to reside next to each other within my folder?

Help appreciated!

Can't answer your questions, Betty. But thought I'd toss this in anyway. I began shooting RAW+JPEG instead of RAW not long ago, and I found that I got really disorganized (even more than usual) having to deal with both image types. Now I've switched to shooting JPEG only most of the time. It's a lot easier, and I find that the JPEG's produced by my NEX-6 are usually excellent, better than my processed RAW files. Learning to use Sony's extensive in-camera settings beforehand is actually quite a bit of fun as well.

P.S. Should mention that I use Sony's Image Data Converter (IDC) to save JPEGs (the keepers) as !6 MB TIFs (as Alamy suggests), do any necessary tweaking in PS Elements, and then store as 8-bit TIFs.

Can't answer your questions, Betty. But thought I'd toss this in anyway. I began shooting RAW+JPEG instead of RAW not long ago, and I found that I got really disorganized (even more than usual) having to deal with both image types. Now I've switched to shooting JPEG only most of the time. It's a lot easier, and I find that the JPEG's produced by my NEX-6 are usually excellent, better than my processed RAW files. Learning to use Sony's extensive in-camera settings beforehand is actually quite a bit of fun as well.

Somebody would have to cut off a leg of mine or something to make me quit shooting RAW.  I've tried the raw + jpeg, then found I just spent a whole lot of time deleting the jpegs, lol!  I feel I must have all the information available in raw and there is no changing my mind. 

I do realize quite a few have gone to shooting jpeg only, and kudos to them. (and you!) Just not for me. Maybe I'm too anal retentive? :)

I shoot strictly RAW and do all my PP in ACR with tweeks in PS CS6. Save as a jpeg. Only create jpegs of files I will be uploading. I keep about half of all my RAWs (even the ones I don't upload to Alamy) cause some I will upload elsewhere or I just like the photo. I delete multiples of a shot or anything that is OOF or has shake. Or its just a crappy image. Can't keep everything.

Hello Betty.

I'm not sure that I follow your workflow exactly but this might help, at least partially.  When you take your image from LR to PS and then tweak it, save it, and close it (Ctrl+S then Ctrl+W) it should end up back in LR next to the RAW file.  If this pair is going to the bottom of the page you need to re-set preferences to View > Sort > Capture time (in LR).  It may be defaulting to View > Sort > Added order, which takes it to the bottom of the page.  Personally, I then keyword in LR but I suppose you could equally open the folder in Bridge and keyword there.  Then, to send selected images to Alamy it is a simple matter of exporting from LR with the Alamy parameters which you can make into a preset.  There's no need to keep the jpegs.

Apologies if I've missed the point of your question!

Chris

I think Chris may be on to the solution.

Folders sort according to preferences, so it seems your folders are sorting per size, rather than file name. Before PP I am sure to label each selected image wth a unique identifying number(Bridge works great), and those images go to a master file with many individual folders as per subject matter, which helps greatly in organization,

From the PS tiff working file (after Adobe Raw adjusments), I simply convert to 8 bit and save as highest quality jpeg.I don't keep tiffs unless there had been some major work in layers that I might need to resort to later.  Otherwise, it's all RAWs and jpegs. I actually keep all my finished, processed jpeg files in a separate folder, devoted exclusively for submissions. The RAWs are stored elsewhere in another folder on another HD, archived, individually numbered (to correspond to the corrected jpeg files) and accessible if ever needed, but away so they are not jamming up the current working folders (memory) as well as offering a little back up insurance in case one of the HD's crashes.

It's all about organization and planning. PS actions work wonders in the workflow too.

Somebody would have to cut off a leg of mine or something to make me quit shooting RAW.  I've tried the raw + jpeg, then found I just spent a whole lot of time deleting the jpegs, lol!  I feel I must have all the information available in raw and there is no changing my mind. 

I do realize quite a few have gone to shooting jpeg only, and kudos to them. (and you!) Just not for me. Maybe I'm too anal retentive? :)

I like totally understand. But a sweet little voice inside my new camera said, "Why not take advantage of all my fancy built-in technology?". I took her up on it.

Perhaps it will turn out to be the Sirens calling me to ship wreck. Shall find out in due course.

If you sort according to capture time, than all images created from the same master raw file will stay together. As well as this, you can also use stacking - easiest to experiment rather than attempt to explain - see Preferences - External Editing- Stack with original and the stack options when you are in Library mode and right click on the mouse (and also the Lightroom Reference of course). Not sure why you would keyword in Bridge rather than Lightroom - I used to do this but Lightroom is far better in most respects I think. As recommended somewhere else, Martin Evening's book is excellent for learning Lightroom - well worth the small cost in terms of time saved and very well written.

Here is my workflow.  I download my card to a folder on my iMac desktop, title the folder.

Open in LR5, adjust, open into CS6 CC.  There I do any minor tweaks and keyword my images in Bridge.  Open and save to an Alamy folder in jpeg, and back to the folder in jpeg. I then delete the Tiff.

In the beginning while working in a folder, the tiffs and jpegs stay with my raw files.  Once I begin getting a good number of them developed, the tiffs and jpegs go to the bottom and are no longer beside the raw file.  If the shoot is big, I often spend days working through a folder.  I would like to be able to view my folder of images with all the like file names together.  

The way this is happening, I think I need to develop an image but in fact it has been done.  Usually I spend a lot of time scrolling to the bottom to see what is finished.  Dragging the tiff or jpeg up to the raw is a huge pain.  I spent an hour doing this in a folder this morning so I could tell what was left to work on.  I just realized I'd developed an image TWICE!  Grrrr, my time is more valuable than to waste it.

What am I missing?  Is there something in Preferences within CS6 where I can get continuity with my files? To get them to reside next to each other within my folder?

Help appreciated!

Seems like youre turning this into more steps than is necessary.

You can download directly into Lightroom or Bridge by using Get Images From Camera. You can either name the new folder or let the software do it for you. I prefer the way Bridge renames images but the same is probably do-able in Lightroom.

Once they're in Lightroom you can make your choices and premliminary adjustments. Adding them to a Quick Collection should make finding them easier. Then you can open them in PhotoShop with Lightroom Adjustments. Lightroom should track any changes to the image and update the settings. As someone else suggested, you probably need to check your preferences or sort menu. My copy of Lightroom simply stacks all versions of the same file. Most if not all of your keywording in Lightroom too. Then once you've finished editing your images you can simply Export them to disk, as jpgs, to upload to Alamy. After the upload you can delete those jpgs to save space. 

I'm don't understand why you're shooting RAW + JPG since it's so easy to export files as jpgs whenever you need them.

Thanks guys, but I do think you missed the point.  How I save my images is my own preference, which is different than yours.  It is not in lightroom where I have the problem.(although yes, some of the finished files go to the bottom there, too) It is after I import to Photoshop, and do the final work and save in the very same folder on my desktop I imported to LR from.  I save in tiff because that tells me they have not been keyworded yet. Plus sometimes when I go back to them, I see I might need to tweak something a bit, better to do the tiff than a jpeg.   As soon as I keyword, I put the jpegs in an Alamy folder for upload and delete the tiff.

I keep the raw file. I keep the jpeg.  I want the jpeg to reside beside the raw file, so that if I don't work on them for a few days and go back to them, I can instantly tell which are developed.  I want the tiffs beside the raw until I convert to jpegs and delete the tiffs, and then I want the jpegs to reside beside the raws.  They don't behave that way.  Is there a preference in CS6 that will unite the two?  I've looked and looked, and can't see anything, but then I'm not good with that stuff.

The reason I keep the jpegs in the same file as the raw is this:  Sometimes I go through a folder and only develop 2/3 of them, but keep the rest of the culled raw files.  I have been known to go back to a folder on my desktop drive and see if there is something I want to develop.  If the jpegs are not in the folder with the raws, I can't tell what I've developed and what I haven't. 

While this may seem strange to you :), by now we all realize there are about 100 differing methods photographers use, and this is my method.

Help appreciated!

Seems like youre turning this into more steps than is necessary.

You can download directly into Lightroom or Bridge by using Get Images From Camera. You can either name the new folder or let the software do it for you. I prefer the way Bridge renames images but the same is probably do-able in Lightroom.

Once they're in Lightroom you can make your choices and premliminary adjustments. Adding them to a Quick Collection should make finding them easier. Then you can open them in PhotoShop with Lightroom Adjustments. Lightroom should track any changes to the image and update the settings. As someone else suggested, you probably need to check your preferences or sort menu. My copy of Lightroom simply stacks all versions of the same file. Most if not all of your keywording in Lightroom too. Then once you've finished editing your images you can simply Export them to disk, as jpgs, to upload to Alamy. After the upload you can delete those jpgs to save space. 

I'm don't understand why you're shooting RAW + JPG since it's so easy to export files as jpgs whenever you need them.

I am not shooting raw + jpeg.  I shoot raw only.  I've been using Photoshop and Bridge since God made dirt.  While I am new to LR, only started using it a few months ago, I think I have a decent grip on the developing part.  I have a LR4 book by Scott Kelby. I've also watched a lot of videos.  After purchasing LR4 and the book, I joined the CC a few months later.  LR file handling is not intuitive to me.  I import folders to LR, and as long as I work in that folder, I'm fine.  If I try to find a LR import I worked on a month ago, I can't find it with a shovel.

That said, that's why I'm most comfortable to finish off my images in Photoshop/Bridge and save them back to the folder on my desktop.  By golly, I can find those and I don't have to use a bloodhound! :)

Betty, I shoot in raw and save in tif and/or jpg as part of my workflow.  Since I retain the raw file name for all the derivative images they normally stay together.  On a rare occasion they don't.  When this happens I switch to the detail view, sort by name, then return to my thumbnail view with the files all together again.  Is this what you are talking about or do they end up in an entirely different folder?

Thanks guys, but I do think you missed the point.  How I save my images is my own preference, which is different than yours.  It is not in lightroom where I have the problem.(although yes, some of the finished files go to the bottom there, too) It is after I import to Photoshop, and do the final work and save in the very same folder on my desktop I imported to LR from.  I save in tiff because that tells me they have not been keyworded yet. Plus sometimes when I go back to them, I see I might need to tweak something a bit, better to do the tiff than a jpeg.   As soon as I keyword, I put the jpegs in an Alamy folder for upload and delete the tiff.

I keep the raw file. I keep the jpeg.  I want the jpeg to reside beside the raw file, so that if I don't work on them for a few days and go back to them, I can instantly tell which are developed.  I want the tiffs beside the raw until I convert to jpegs and delete the tiffs, and then I want the jpegs to reside beside the raws.  They don't behave that way.  Is there a preference in CS6 that will unite the two?  I've looked and looked, and can't see anything, but then I'm not good with that stuff.

The reason I keep the jpegs in the same file as the raw is this:  Sometimes I go through a folder and only develop 2/3 of them, but keep the rest of the culled raw files.  I have been known to go back to a folder on my desktop drive and see if there is something I want to develop.  If the jpegs are not in the folder with the raws, I can't tell what I've developed and what I haven't. 

While this may seem strange to you :), by now we all realize there are about 100 differing methods photographers use, and this is my method.

Betty,

I assume then that it's not simply an issue with file sequence in LR but in CC as well? I don't think there's a preference for file sequence in CC so maybe it's a mac thing. I don't know if this applies to individual files but try the arrange button in the finder window and see how your files are being arranged. If you click none/little arrow to the right and then you should be able to arrange a-z etc. Only imac we have is working on an older OS (don't even know which) so this may not be the case with newer ones. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2470

Oh and I don't import direct into LR either..... I like to browse and sometimes rename in DPP. LR, unless I'm missing something, reverts to 1 in file sequences rather than 01 etc which you can do in DPP i.e. OTH_14-1 in LR by default and not OTH_14-01.  PITA having to change both the file stack and the sequence number every time.

As for deleting the TIFF.....hmmmmmm!!! ;)

I found my hard drive filling up very quickly with the 7D RAW+JPG system. I have stuck religiously to shooting RAW only on the 1D now. Hasn't even changed a single thing apart from making everything much more simpler now. Load files into iPhoto, right click, edit in external editor and import to LR. Work on the file, export as JPG and job done. Add to Photoshop if needed. 

Workflow on the PC at work is even simpler. Load files to DPP, mild changes, export to JPG. 

If you use Bridge to view the contents of your folder, there is a function for sorting them. 

Your current sort must be by Type.  If you change it to by Filename, they will be grouped together.

If you look at the righthand top corner of Bridge, you will see 'Sort by…' drop down list.

Sung

Edit)  I hope this is what you are after, if not, just ignore it….

Clearly this is a simple sorting problem. What is not clear from Betty's original post is what application she is trying to sort in (i.e view related files together). Is it the Mac Finder, Lightroom (which is what I wrongly assumed) or Bridge?  It's nothing to do with Photoshop which doesn't have file browsing or database capabilities - that is what Lightroom and Bridge are for. From her quoted post, it appears to be simply a Mac Finder sort that she is talking about. So that is indeed very simple - just go View- Arrange By in a Mac Finder window. But the Mac finder doesn't read image data the way Lightroom or Bridge do so the Date Created in the Finder will probably not be the Date Created of Bridge or the Capture Time of Lightroom which is the almost infallible way of keeping related image files together.

There is no intention here of telling Betty what to do but I think she could certainly modify her workflow by using Lightroom or Bridge (one or the other is best and Lightroom is better for most photographic purposes) instead of the Mac finder to easily achieve what she is looking to do (I think).

Thank you, MDM.  And yes, it is in Bridge where I want the files to be connected.  LOL, I don't even know what the "Mac Finder" is! 

To make it simple, after working in LR, all my tiffs are saved in my desktop folder that I originally downloaded the camera card to.  I do not download my card to LR. I export my desktop folder to LR and work on one photo at a time, then open it into PS and save back to my original desktop folder with the raws.

I keyword in Bridge and then save one jpeg copy to an Alamy upload folder, one jpeg copy back to the orignal desktop folder containing the raws. 

I simply want the jpegs or tiffs to be next to the raw files, so if I close out the folder to open another day for further work, I can look at the raw files and see which files have been developed.  If I attained a connection between the raw and tiff/jpegs, I can instantly see this.

I will have a mix of tiffs and jpegs in the same folder as the raws.  If I have a jpeg of that file, I instantly know it has been keyworded uploaded to Alamy or at least in a file for upload.

If I only have a tiff, that means the file needs keywording and conversion to jpegs for upload. the way it is now, I open my desktop folder into Bridge and see all the raws at the top and all the tiffs and jpegs at the bottom.

Right now, when I look at my raw files, the only way I know if they have been developed is by scrolling down to the bottom to hunt for a tiff or jpeg showing that file is finished.

I spend way too much time while working in a folder with 75 or 100 images scrolling down to the bottom.

Thanks

Betty

Thank you, MDM.  And yes, it is in Bridge where I want the files to be connected.  LOL, I don't even know what the "Mac Finder" is! 

To make it simple, after working in LR, all my tiffs are saved in my desktop folder that I originally downloaded the camera card to.  I do not download my card to LR. I export my desktop folder to LR and work on one photo at a time, then open it into PS and save back to my original desktop folder with the raws.

I keyword in Bridge and then save one jpeg copy to an Alamy upload folder, one jpeg copy back to the orignal desktop folder containing the raws. 

I simply want the jpegs or tiffs to be next to the raw files, so if I close out the folder to open another day for further work, I can look at the raw files and see which files have been developed.  If I attained a connection between the raw and tiff/jpegs, I can instantly see this.

I will have a mix of tiffs and jpegs in the same folder as the raws.  If I have a jpeg of that file, I instantly know it has been keyworded uploaded to Alamy or at least in a file for upload.

If I only have a tiff, that means the file needs keywording and conversion to jpegs for upload. the way it is now, I open my desktop folder into Bridge and see all the raws at the top and all the tiffs and jpegs at the bottom.

Right now, when I look at my raw files, the only way I know if they have been developed is by scrolling down to the bottom to hunt for a tiff or jpeg showing that file is finished.

I spend way too much time while working in a folder with 75 or 100 images scrolling down to the bottom.

Thanks

Betty

The Mac Finder is what you see when your Mac first starts up. Look at the menu bar and you will see the word Finder next to the Apple Menu. The Finder is the most fundamental application on the Mac - it keeps tabs on all your files and how you view them among many other functions. It's been around since time began or thereabouts (at least since Macs began).

To do what you want to do in Bridge, just go to the View Menu, then Sort and use a Filename (presuming you give the same name to the raw and any subsequent files derived from it) or Date Created. 

GIven how you are working and your desire to continue to use Bridge, then there is no point in using Lightroom at all - you can convert all your raw images from Bridge directly through Adobe Camera Raw (ACR) and open into Photoshop. ACR is essentially identical in function to Lightroom with a different interface. Opening single images at a time into Lightroom would seem pretty pointless.

However, Lightroom is far better overall than Bridge as a database (for keywording and finding images) and is really worth learning. The main difference between Lightroom and Bridge is that Lightroom is essentially a database program with a raw converter and Bridge is a file browser with a raw converter. Both have their uses and Bridge is the way to go if you are using other apps in the Creative Suite. But Lightroom is far better if you are just using a raw converter and Photoshop. It handles previews, keywords and seaching far better than Bridge. But you do have to import the images into Lightroom for it to work properly. 

Your problem with knowing what images you have worked on is easily solved whatever app you use. Just rename the files when you have worked on them and give the TIFFs and JPEGs the same name (well that is what I do). Other ideas would be to add a keyword (done?) or give them a label (done?).

Betty,

Did you see my post?  I think what I suggested is what you are after.

Sung

Sorry Sung, I should have referred to your post as well. To see the sort button you are referring to, it is necessary to have the path bar showing which means going to the Window Menu and ticking Path Bar. This is not very intuitive as it is not a window or a panel but a toolbar which would normally be available in other programs under the View menu. I often forget where this is. The same options are avaulable under the View menu - Sort. In my opinion, Bridge has been sort of stuck together from the orignal CS1 file browser and gets occasional attention from Adobe but it could be a lot better. 

Isn't fascinating how many different workflows people use! I can't answer the original question I am afraid. I have never experienced that problem. I import raw files from card to folders on my PC in year and month order. Also back up to a second drive at the same time. Then use LR collections to organise things and put rudimentary keywords in LR. Do most editing in LR, occasionally use PS for more advanced stuff and save straight back into Lightroom. Then export jpegs to specific folders depending on final use ( normally organised by year and month). I can see in LR if a file is edited or not. Never even considered bridge! In the last few months I now also keyword in keyword perfect that puts all the keywords in the JPEG iptc fields, so can also search for my images using keyword perfect library search.

There must be an optimum method out there.....not sure I have found it though!

Isn't fascinating how many different workflows people use! I can't answer the original question I am afraid. I have never experienced that problem. I import raw files from card to folders on my PC in year and month order. Also back up to a second drive at the same time. Then use LR collections to organise things and put rudimentary keywords in LR. Do most editing in LR, occasionally use PS for more advanced stuff and save straight back into Lightroom. Then export jpegs to specific folders depending on final use ( normally organised by year and month). I can see in LR if a file is edited or not. Never even considered bridge! In the last few months I now also keyword in keyword perfect that puts all the keywords in the JPEG iptc fields, so can also search for my images using keyword perfect library search.

Should have said I use LR to import the original files.

I think you probably have found it, Jules, or something pretty close.  

This is exactly what I do, save for the Keyword Perfect stage.  Everything goes straight into LR and is organised by date.  All my Alamy submissions are in LR collections, also organised by date, etc. and collapsed most of the time to save space.  All have captions written before they're uploaded and these form the basis of keywords when they're ready to go on Alamy.  Lightroom is by far my most used software and I only use Photoshop for simple cloning or, sometimes, for local contrast enhancement.  The only tifs I keep are the ones I've created in Photoshop (stacked with the DNG file) and I don't keep any jpegs - the RAW files with their processing "recipes" can be exported again any time I want them.

Chris

If you use Bridge to view the contents of your folder, there is a function for sorting them. 

Your current sort must be by Type.  If you change it to by Filename, they will be grouped together.

If you look at the righthand top corner of Bridge, you will see 'Sort by…' drop down list.

Sung

Edit)  I hope this is what you are after, if not, just ignore it….

Sung, I think you have hit upon it.  I found the "sort by" under "View", but I did find it.  I chose file type, and it looks like it is doing the job.  I'll know for sure when I process a new file and see where the tiff ends up.  Many thanks for putting your brain to work on my aggravating problem.  XXXX-kisses.  

Archived