August 2024 Favourite Uploads

9 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Sally, can you send one of those Wagtails up to visit me? Can she sing? Maybe she's a dancer? 

Hi Ed, I've sent one on her way with instructions on how to get to Liverpool. Willie Wagtails do sing, especially at night. Even when I lived in the city I'd hear them singing away at night time. They also dance wonderfully with that swishy tail of theirs. They swish their tail to dislodge insects around them and then leap into the air to catch them. They often like to be around people's feet too because as people walk, more insects fly up into the air to catch. So it sometimes feels like they are following you. If you have any problems with mosquitos where you are, she will take care of it for you and gobble them up.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Sally, can you send one of those Wagtails up to visit me? Can she sing? Maybe she's a dancer? 

Ed, in case it takes her a while to get here, we do have a couple of different species of wagtails in England.

https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildlife/a-z?search=wagtail

I'm sure you'll be able to find the pied and yellow in Liverpool.

Edited by spacecadet

Oh, great!

But here in Beatles Town city centre it's rare to see anything but gulls and pigeons. In the '80s, when I lived in Oxfordshire across from Blenheim Park, there was a variety of charming birds and other small creatures. 

On 26/08/2024 at 14:14, IKuzmin said:

Perhaps I could post a couple of these images in the POTM “Summer Mornings” but that topic became recently not only worthless but ridiculous. Therefore, just here.

Sunrise over the TX coastal wetlands.

2XXTGAA.jpg

A sun worship

2XXTGDA.jpg

Towards the new day

2XXTGDE.jpg

Singing to the skies

2XXTG8T.jpg

The same with a piece of the habitat

2XXTG9Y.jpg

Last year I was all of a sudden impressed by some features of the passion vine, including the bracts surrounding its buds and fruits, and strange flowers. Then I observed that only large carpenter bees, and occasionally bumble bees were feeding from these flowers, with all variety of other insects passing by and never stopping. It appears to me that the passionflower is adapted to pollination by large bees. Its pistil and stamens form a large structure on a stalk. Anthers of stamens and pistil stigmas are directed downwards, hanging above the deep narrow space filled with nectar at the base of the stalk. This structure prevents feeding of many butterflies whereas small insects just cannot reach nectar that is too deep. Conversely, large bees have right size for feeding from these flowers and pollinating them by their hairy backs. This year went back to this subject...

So, a carpenter bee approaching a passionflower

2XXTGJE.jpg

That’s how the feeding and pollination happens

2XXTGDM.jpg

Adding colors of blue sky

2XXTGN4.jpg

Extremely interesting to me. You have an inquiring mind like I often do. Not satisfied by what you see, but the whys and wherefore. I’m constantly on my iPad looking up things to further understand about them. Excellent shots. The 2nd image clearly shows how the pollen is transferred. 🏆

• Like 1

A swarm (?)* of graffiti artists have descended upon the city of Southend on Sea for the Southend City Jam art festival, creating amazing works around the streets and buildings. 

southend-on-sea-essex-uk-30th-aug-2024-southend-is-continuing-to-celebrate-its-city-status-with-the-city-jam-event-over-200-local-national-and-international-street-artists-are-displaying-their-skills-at-various-locations-around-the-city-centre-some-temporary-walls-have-been-set-up-but-the-artists-are-also-decorating-the-sides-of-buildings-homes-and-other-permanent-structures-running-from-30-august-to-1-september-artists-can-be-seen-working-on-the-murals-around-the-streets-and-properties-credit-avpicsalamy-live-news-2XYNW8K.jpg

southend-on-sea-essex-uk-1st-sep-2024-southend-is-continuing-to-celebrate-its-city-status-with-the-city-jam-event-over-200-local-national-and-international-street-artists-are-displaying-their-skills-at-various-locations-around-the-city-centre-some-temporary-walls-have-been-set-up-but-the-artists-are-also-decorating-the-sides-of-buildings-homes-and-other-permanent-structures-artists-can-be-seen-working-on-the-murals-around-the-streets-and-properties-the-temporary-pieces-will-remain-on-show-for-a-short-period-following-completion-credit-avpicsalamy-live-news-2Y06R0P.jpg

southend-on-sea-essex-uk-1st-sep-2024-southend-is-continuing-to-celebrate-its-city-status-with-the-city-jam-event-over-200-local-national-and-international-street-artists-are-displaying-their-skills-at-various-locations-around-the-city-centre-some-temporary-walls-have-been-set-up-but-the-artists-are-also-decorating-the-sides-of-buildings-homes-and-other-permanent-structures-artists-can-be-seen-working-on-the-murals-around-the-streets-and-properties-the-temporary-pieces-will-remain-on-show-for-a-short-period-following-completion-credit-avpicsalamy-live-news-2Y06REK.jpg

southend-on-sea-essex-uk-29th-aug-2024-southend-is-continuing-to-celebrate-its-city-status-with-the-city-jam-event-over-200-local-national-and-international-street-artists-are-displaying-their-skills-at-various-locations-around-the-city-centre-some-temporary-walls-have-been-set-up-but-the-artists-are-also-decorating-the-sides-of-buildings-homes-and-other-permanent-structures-running-from-30-august-to-1-september-artists-can-be-seen-working-on-the-murals-around-the-streets-and-properties-to-have-their-pieces-ready-2XYDMB6.jpg

southend-city-jam-2024-street-graffiti-art-event-taking-place-in-southend-on-sea-essex-uk-graffiti-artist-working-on-artwork-at-height-2XYE9AE.jpg

southend-on-sea-essex-uk-30th-aug-2024-southend-is-continuing-to-celebrate-its-city-status-with-the-city-jam-event-over-200-local-national-and-international-street-artists-are-displaying-their-skills-at-various-locations-around-the-city-centre-some-temporary-walls-have-been-set-up-but-the-artists-are-also-decorating-the-sides-of-buildings-homes-and-other-permanent-structures-running-from-30-august-to-1-september-artists-can-be-seen-working-on-the-murals-around-the-streets-and-properties-credit-avpicsalamy-live-news-2XYNEBH.jpg

southend-on-sea-essex-uk-1st-sep-2024-southend-is-continuing-to-celebrate-its-city-status-with-the-city-jam-event-over-200-local-national-and-international-street-artists-are-displaying-their-skills-at-various-locations-around-the-city-centre-some-temporary-walls-have-been-set-up-but-the-artists-are-also-decorating-the-sides-of-buildings-homes-and-other-permanent-structures-artists-can-be-seen-working-on-the-murals-around-the-streets-and-properties-the-temporary-pieces-will-remain-on-show-for-a-short-period-following-completion-credit-avpicsalamy-live-news-2Y06W3W.jpg

southend-on-sea-essex-uk-1st-sep-2024-southend-is-continuing-to-celebrate-its-city-status-with-the-city-jam-event-over-200-local-national-and-international-street-artists-are-displaying-their-skills-at-various-locations-around-the-city-centre-some-temporary-walls-have-been-set-up-but-the-artists-are-also-decorating-the-sides-of-buildings-homes-and-other-permanent-structures-artists-can-be-seen-working-on-the-murals-around-the-streets-and-properties-the-temporary-pieces-will-remain-on-show-for-a-short-period-following-completion-keith-flint-image-credit-avpicsalamy-live-news-2Y06XRE.jpg

I've rather spammed Live News this weekend!

*Apparently 'A crew, krew, or cru is a group of associated graffitists that often work together.' These are all individuals though.

• Love 2

1 hour ago, Betty LaRue said:

Extremely interesting to me. You have an inquiring mind like I often do. Not satisfied by what you see, but the whys and wherefore.

Well.. Given that I'm still a full-time research scientist...

🙂

Red admiral butterfly sunning itself on fence, Cherry Willingham, Lincoln

red-admiral-butterfly-sunning-itself-on-

Groundsman strimming grass around grave stones, Cherry Willingham, Lincoln

groundsman-strimming-grass-around-grave-

Deep pink Dahlia flower

deep-pink-dahlia-flower-2Y07AG0.jpg

One for Paulette.

Simon the sleepy cat

simon-the-sleepy-cat-2Y07AN3.jpg

Allan

• Love 1

4 hours ago, NYCat said:

Nice fur. Not quite smooth short-hair and not long-hair. Soft. Plush? A toy?

Paulette

Not a toy exactly it looked quite real when placed on the carpet in front of the fire or placed on a comfy chair. It is a realistic model. The base is a fibreglass mould and the fur is rabbit.

Allan

2 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:
On 01/09/2024 at 13:03, IKuzmin said:

Well.. Given that I'm still a full-time research scientist...

🙂

Ahhhh. Got it!

Betty, am not sure what you got, but want to make sure that i did not say anything wrong.

I meant that all my lifetime training was for that kind of thinking and other investigative approaches.

On 03/09/2024 at 10:50, IKuzmin said:

Betty, am not sure what you got, but want to make sure that i did not say anything wrong.

I meant that all my lifetime training was for that kind of thinking and other investigative approaches.

You said nothing wrong at all, I think what you do is pretty cool. The house I lived in for years in Oklahoma City had a covered patio just off the dining room. I sat out there to photograph birds with my camera in freezing weather, hot weather, rain. I deliberately , for photo purposes, planted a crabapple tree that grew to have beautiful pink/magenta blossoms, then later, fruit. The birds landed in the tree before dropping down to the feeder, giving me photo ops.

All of those hours I spent viewing birds through the lens of my 80-400 lens I observed/learned so much about them. Northern Cardinal males feeds his mate during the spring courtship. Blue jays can be a bully. Mated mourning doves cuddle, pressed together like birds in love. Sparrows sound like they are screaming while hiding in the honeysuckle when the darned Sharp-shinned hawk showed up.

I often used the Internet to look up facts about a given bird, so your head has to be crammed with knowledge from all your research.

One thing I learned was in cold weather to put my camera in a sealed plastic bag and let it acclimate for 30 minutes outdoors before using it. Then I did the same thing when I brought it into the warm house. No fogging. And that was after the camera fogged up once & scared me.

• Love 1

Daddy long legs spider

daddy-long-legs-spider-2Y0M08G.jpg

Deep pink Dahlia flower

deep-pink-dahlia-flower-2Y0M08N.jpg

Flower arrangement in vase 

flower-arrangement-in-vase-2Y0M08R.jpg

Crab apples growing on tree, Cherry Willingham, Lincoln, Lincolnshire, England, UK

crab-apples-growing-on-tree-cherry-willi

Allan

• Love 1