Dog identification

23 hours ago, Alexander Hogg said:

Possibly Pedigree Bulldog 

Some times they're just a little dog.  Also, Chihuahua/Jack Russell cross will be a tiny handful given US strains of Chihuahuas.  Nicaraguan Chihuahuas are not delusional about their size and capacity to bring down a fully grown human.  Really check the parents.  Jacks are little devils -- if you like terriers, they're cool, but one I knew in Philadelphia was on its third adopter.   What's always intrigued me would a Border Terrier/Whippet cross -- a miniature lurcher.

The crossing of different breeds can make for some interesting dogs, but ask the owner what the cross is.   That does look like Jack Russell crossed with either the Beagle or the Border Collie. 

12 hours ago, Phil Robinson said:

Thanks for replies. I'm not a dog person but if I ever get one it'll be a Jack Russel / Chihuahua cross https://wamiz.co.uk/dog/advice/1160/the-jack-russell-cross-everything-you-need-to-know

Jack Russells yap .. a lot. My grandma, who was a dog person, became more than a little exasperated at times. However, maybe the Chihuahua mix counteracts that ...

12 hours ago, BidC said:

Jack Russells yap .. a lot. My grandma, who was a dog person, became more than a little exasperated at times. However, maybe the Chihuahua mix counteracts that ...

My stepdaughter had a Jack Russell and I made it stop barking (yapping) at me whenever I arrived at their house by barking and growling like a BIG dog back at it. The JR ran and hid behind her legs looking at me from a safe have.

It got the better of me though as whenever I visited after it would wait it's chance and when I wasn't looking would nip the ends of my fingers.

Allan

58 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

My stepdaughter had a Jack Russell and I made it stop barking (yapping) at me whenever I arrived at their house by barking and growling like a BIG dog back at it. The JR ran and hid behind her legs looking at me from a safe have.

It got the better of me though as whenever I visited after it would wait it's chance and when I wasn't looking would nip the ends of my fingers.

Allan

😂  Tactical manoeuvres 😀

18 hours ago, Rebecca Ore said:

Some times they're just a little dog.  Also, Chihuahua/Jack Russell cross will be a tiny handful given US strains of Chihuahuas.  Nicaraguan Chihuahuas are not delusional about their size and capacity to bring down a fully grown human.  Really check the parents.  Jacks are little devils -- if you like terriers, they're cool, but one I knew in Philadelphia was on its third adopter.   What's always intrigued me would a Border Terrier/Whippet cross -- a miniature lurcher.

The crossing of different breeds can make for some interesting dogs, but ask the owner what the cross is.   That does look like Jack Russell crossed with either the Beagle or the Border Collie. 

I will confess here, when my grandmother died we all tried to give the JR a home. When I took over I was working nights. I had to allow her to run in and out of the garden during the day. No lodger at that point, but the neighbours didn't complain about her behaviour in the night.  Anyway, let's just say, the noise during the day was too much for me ! So, because the rest of the family wouldn't admit she had outwitted them, and they felt it would make my (dead - God rest her) grandmother sad to give her away but would not continue to 'share' her, I told them I had found a home for her in the country .... (aka a place for 'unwanted' animals, where she would be cared for until someone came along to give her a home ... the place was in the country, and they would have allowed her to live, so that appeased me, though I never told my family the real story ... ! 🥴 🤦‍♀️).

Edited by BidC

22 hours ago, Rebecca Ore said:

What's always intrigued me would a Border Terrier/Whippet cross -- a miniature lurcher.

Look up Bedlington Terrier, Rebecca.  They're originally derived from whippet/terrier crosses though they breed true nowadays.  You can get longhaired whippets - Silken windhounds in the states - but they're definitely a rare breed.  I did have a long haired Jack Russell - my avatar - and although she was a sweet little thing to us she was a terror to one of our greyhounds despite the size disparity.  She even used to run with the greyhound and my daughter's lurcher (shorthaired) although she hadn't a hope of keeping up. Game little bitch!

56 minutes ago, John Richmond said:

Silken windhounds in the states - but they're definitely a rare breed.

Friend's son had two Silken Windhounds.  They're pretty but not quite as much of a human pleasing personality compared to a whippet much less a Border Terrier, more liike a Saluki who sees humans as transportation to places  to go hunting. 

At this point, I probably won't get another dog (Lola, mostly cocker, was euthanized at my house about two weeks ago).  If I do, it will be for security in the house, and as long as I'm in the tropics, something short haired and middle aged from one of the animal rescue groups. 

2 hours ago, Rebecca Ore said:

Friend's son had two Silken Windhounds.  They're pretty but not quite as much of a human pleasing personality compared to a whippet much less a Border Terrier, more liike a Saluki who sees humans as transportation to places  to go hunting. 

Yes, I'd heard that.  I'm without a sighthound for the first time in a long while.  My first love was whippets - my parents bred, showed and judged them, though they had their main success with their Whitgift Manchester terriers, with two UK champions and other good winners - and I've had a couple, along with greyhounds (ex racers), lurchers, an italian greyhound and the aforementioned long haired Jack Russell.  I now help with my daughter's deerhound x greyhound and bull lurcher.  Fast, affectionate but difficult to photograph!  Here's the deerhound x greyhound at full chat.

puppy-deerhound-x-greyhound-lurcher-at-f

• Like 1