Alamy Silver to Gold

kennethwfd

Question

Last year, I did not achieve $250 in sales, so now on Alamy Silver commission, this year have already achieved this (providing no refunds)

The agreement says "Hitting $250 gross sales immediately moves you back up to Gold."

I don't see any changes

22 answers to this question

Some clients take a few months to report sales. Not sure if Alamy would class the change to gold as all uses after the change, i.e. it could take 2 or 3 months before you start seeing the change in commission. But yes, I'd do as Mr Standfast says.

• Like 1

"12.13. If you are subject to Alamy Silver and your total Licence Fees, net of any refunds, exceeds $250 at any point during the Revenue Year then the Alamy Commission will automatically revert to Alamy Gold for future sales during the Revenue Year."

7 minutes ago, MDM said:

Even better the OP should read the contract, specifically clause 12.10 in relation to Revenue Year. It goes from July 1st each year, dating back to the big contract change of 2020. 

He actually did quote from the contract. It's 12.13 and says if your income is up anytime during the revenue year. I've found this confusing but so far I don't have to worry. Harry beat me to it...

Paulette

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, NYCat said:

He actually did quote from the contract. It's 12.13 and says if your income is up anytime during the revenue year. I've found this confusing but so far I don't have to worry. Harry beat me to it...

Paulette

OK I should have read on. I think that is new since the initial change. Thankfully I've not had to worry about it as yet but you never know. 

16 minutes ago, kennethwfd said:

In January, my sales amounted to $237, nothing in February, March sales $270. Always just missing out

If you mean that your gross sales since July 1 2023 reached $250 sometime in March then you're not missing out if any sales after that date will be at the Gold commission percentage, and will remain so after July 1 2024. I think they have made that clear haven't they?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kennethwfd said:

That should be made clear in the contract, 

3 hours ago, Harry Harrison said:

"12.13. If you are subject to Alamy Silver and your total Licence Fees, net of any refunds, exceeds $250 at any point during the Revenue Year then the Alamy Commission will automatically revert to Alamy Gold for future sales during the Revenue Year."

I got stuck in the silver basement a couple of years ago.  When I did go over the $250 the following year, every sale after that sale was at the Gold level.  Has been ever since.

Jill

Ah, yes, future earnings, presumably the 16 sales totalling $255 which are over the £250 threshold aren't "future" earnings, so won't be paid at the gold rate.

To make things clear, I have just made 17 sales to one customer totalling $270.

Might as well join a troupe of monkeys, they work for peanuts as well

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, kennethwfd said:

Ah, yes, future earnings, presumably the 16 sales totalling $255 which are over the £250 threshold aren't "future" earnings, so won't be paid at the gold rate.

Well that's bad luck obviously, in a way, but it might just as well have been 1 sale for $270 from Alamy's point of view. The good news is that from now on, at least until 30th June 2025, your sales will be paid at the Gold rate. I don't think anyone on here likes these new thresholds but $250 gross can at least be seen as an incentive to upload more and to pay attention to optimising captions and keywords. My particular gripe is with unattainable $25,000 Platinum level which is just having a laugh at the expense of contributors, no incentive there.

Edited by Harry Harrison
  • Like 2

https://www.alamy.com/blog/new-contributor-commission-structure

"We’ve moved to a tiered system so we can ensure that we remain fair to those contributors who sell well with us, and we believe a $250 threshold is low and achievable. We also want there to be an incentive for those independent contributors who sell large volumes with Alamy to remain with us, and to work with us exclusively."

So the $250 threshold is for 'Us', and the $25,000 threshold is for 'Them'.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Harry Harrison said:

https://www.alamy.com/blog/new-contributor-commission-structure

"We’ve moved to a tiered system so we can ensure that we remain fair to those contributors who sell well with us, and we believe a $250 threshold is low and achievable. We also want there to be an incentive for those independent contributors who sell large volumes with Alamy to remain with us, and to work with us exclusively."

So the $250 threshold is for 'Us', and the $25,000 threshold is for 'Them'.

And silver is for "The others".

Allan

If things keep going the way they are I may become an "other" in the not too distant future and if that happens I have decided not to submit any more images to Alamy.

ITMA

47 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

If things keep going the way they are I may become an "other" in the not too distant future and if that happens I have decided not to submit any more images to Alamy.

I think your pictures of Lincoln are great, makes me want to go there. I wish I could feel inspired to do the same in Reading, maybe i'll have to go to Oxford and try and keep out of the way of Steve Bell!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Allan Bell said:

And silver is for "The others".

Allan

ITMA

Certainly if this years sales are anything to go by I might be right there alongside you. 

1 hour ago, Harry Harrison said:

I think your pictures of Lincoln are great, makes me want to go there. I wish I could feel inspired to do the same in Reading, maybe i'll have to go to Oxford and try and keep out of the way of Steve Bell!

Thank you for the compliment Harry.

I do not think Steve would object and may even advise you on what to shoot.

When Steve came to Lincoln a while ago I was pleased to meet up with him and do the walkabout.

Allan

43 minutes ago, Sultanpepa said:

Certainly if this years sales are anything to go by I might be right there alongside you. 

I sincerely hope not.

But I welcome being alongside you if things change for the better.

Allan

I also did a Lincoln walkabout with Andy Gibson.

ITMA

Edited by Allan Bell

8 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

When Steve came to Lincoln a while ago I was pleased to meet up with him and do the walkabout.

One year I introduced myself to him down at Henley Regatta, I recognized him from his profile photograph, unfortunately it wasn't him. You have to be a bit careful with profile photographs obviously.