Incorrect captions / tags

Oh my gosh! Just checking my captions for my Alamy POTM images. I had Petite France instead of Petite Venice and La Launch instead of La Lauch river for the Colmar picture. Obviously my Googlefu was weaker in the past. Or I was rushing! Makes me think I should go back through all my photos; which I've had on my mind for a while... Anyone else thinking of, or gone back through their collection to make corrections?

Steve

5 minutes ago, Steve F said:

Oh my gosh! Just checking my captions for my Alamy POTM images. I had Petite France instead of Petite Venice and La Launch instead of La Lauch river for the Colmar picture. Obviously my Googlefu was weaker in the past. Or I was rushing! Makes me think I should go back through all my photos; which I've had on my mind for a while... Anyone else thinking of, or gone back through their collection to make corrections?

Steve

Too many to do that. The odd one turns up by chance occasionally.

We all need to watch the typing*.

* Venise.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Thanks 1

That was one of the benefits of lockdown for me (possibly the only one).  I couldn't face the prospect of going through them all to clear up the mess left when we changed over from the old essential/main/summat else/  keyword fields system.  Such,as,phrases,ending,up,as,individual,keywords,like,this.  But come lockdown with precious little else to do, I decided it was the best use of my time and went through all my images, about 20K at the time.  Took a few months as I could only do 3 or 4 hours a day before my brain turned to mush but I got there eventually.  It was worth it in the end though.  Found an embarrassing number of spelling mistakes and a couple with completely the wrong captions.

• Thanks 2
  • Like 3

At one point during the pandemic, I downloaded my data from Alamy and then printed off hard copies. Scanning through titles and keywords, I found it easier to highlight where corrections needed to be made. I should do something similar again, but might find it too tedious and expensive a task to repeat this process since I have now added so many more photos.

• Thanks 1

In the past I've picked a year of submissions and worked through them. Not often because it's grim.

I find the monthly competions, potm etc are good prompts to make me look at my keywords. Also hits and misses from alamy  measures encourage me to have a look around.

regardless of whatever prompted me to have a look, the answer is always humbling. Captains and keyworms abound.

Thing is though, re-checking keywords and learning how to pass quality control are ways of running a portfolio as if it was a business.

Edited by Mr Standfast
Thdy up
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Mr Standfast said:

I find the monthly competions, potm etc are good prompts to make me look at my keywords. Also hits and misses from alamy  measures encourage me to have a look around.

What I normally do too.

10 hours ago, Mr Standfast said:

Not often because it's grim.

Totally!

• Love 1

On 10/11/2023 at 07:07, Vincent Lowe said:

That was one of the benefits of lockdown for me (possibly the only one).  I couldn't face the prospect of going through them all to clear up the mess left when we changed over from the old essential/main/summat else/  keyword fields system.  Such,as,phrases,ending,up,as,individual,keywords,like,this.  But come lockdown with precious little else to do, I decided it was the best use of my time and went through all my images, about 20K at the time.  Took a few months as I could only do 3 or 4 hours a day before my brain turned to mush but I got there eventually.  It was worth it in the end though.  Found an embarrassing number of spelling mistakes and a couple with completely the wrong captions.

Yes, when that changeover happened, it made a horrendous mess of everything in my port. I went over all of them, about 5000 images at the time. Periodically now, I’ll bring up my oldest images & check some. I still find mistakes, or just realize I can do some of them better. 
My brain turned to mush quicker than yours, Vincent, thus the need to still have ongoing reviews to fix the mushy-brained ones.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

On 10/11/2023 at 21:37, Steve F said:

Steve

Well done for doing so- still way too many photographers on the site who deliberately add inaccurate keywords - really annoys me.

Occasionally I go back over certain submissions to check for accuracy, I think my spelling is pretty good, so usually I do this to add keywords or improve the description.

• Thanks 1

On 10/11/2023 at 13:07, Vincent Lowe said:

My experience is similiar to yours, except, alas, your re-editing belongs to the past, whereas mine still occupies a speculative future. I already spend more time writing than taking pix, so know what it's like when the words start crawling across the screen like foraging ants. Maybe this will be the winter to make sure that my pix are properly annotated, and the spelling mistakes corrected.

Maybe... 

• Love 1