Which field in Lightoom for Alamy captions?

Steve F

Question

Hey all,

Massive ignorance confession. I've always done my captions in AIM. But I'd like to start doing them more in Lightroom directly, including my next batch. So I go to Library and then Metadata. And then...? Can someone please let me know which field to fill in. 😁

Thanks in advance, Steve

10 answers to this question

2 hours ago, Steve F said:

Hi Allan, what do you have in the dropdown menu next to Metadata? 'Large Caption'?

You need the IPTC dropdown and the Description field as far as I know which corresponds to Alamy's Caption Field (there is no Caption field in the IPTC dropdown in Lightroom). I use the EXIF and IPTC dropdown as this allows me to see all the camera metadata as well as the IPTC fields that can be filled in by the user.

Just checked this and there is a Caption field in the Minimal dropdown which corresponds with the Description field in the IPTC dropdown as well as Caption in the Large Caption dropdown.

Edited by MDM
  • Thanks 1

If you download Alamy Lightroom Bridge then choose Alamy Plus from the drop-down menu rather than EXIF or IPTC you’ll see all of the Alamy fields. Also gives you Alamy collections so you can easily see which images are missing data. Couldn’t live without it.

• Thanks 1

Light up LrC.  on library page useing panel on right side.

Go to "Caption" and enter your caption.  If you want to use this as a file name copy it and enter it in "File Name".

I then copy it into keyword box as well then start keywording.

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

just need caption, keywords, and date.everything else is ignored.

if doing live news, you'll also need the headline; all images from the event share the same headline

Edited by sooth
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Allan Bell said:

Light up LrC.  on library page useing panel on right side.

Go to "Caption" and enter your caption.  If you want to use this as a file name copy it and enter it in "File Name".

I then copy it into keyword box as well then start keywording.

Allan

Hi Allan, what do you have in the dropdown menu next to Metadata? 'Large Caption'?

Steve

You may want to consider using Photo Mechanic.  I used to use Lightroom for captions etc but it took a long time and I made occasional spelling mistakes.. PM allows rapid metadata input and has code replacements, variable fields and templates.

As an example, I cover cabinet meetings in Downing Street.  I have a template for this which gives location, date etc in Alamy format and some generic keywords like “Downing Street”.  When I photograph a minister I use code replacements.  So I type /Hunt/ I get “Jeremy Hunt, Chancellor of the Exchequer”. And do the same in the keyword field.  

it has cut in half my workload time and with much greater accuracy.  PM is even more useful covering sports as you can use a players number for code replacement of the players name and position.

PM also allows rapid culling and classification of photographs.  It is not immediately intuitive but the learning curve is short.  I highly recommend this product. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, MDM said:

I use the EXIF and IPTC dropdown as this allows me to see all the camera metadata as well as the IPTC fields that can be filled in by the user.

I cannot remember why but I also use that dropdown. I like to caption in the Image Manager so I don't know about that. Leaving captioning to the end lets me check everything before it actually goes on sale.

Paulette

On 19/08/2023 at 03:23, sooth said:

just need caption, keywords, and date.everything else is ignored.

if doing live news, you'll also need the headline; all images from the event share the same headline

Metadata dropdown > Caption shows up for me, below Title, which I leave blank. 

• Thanks 1

On 19/08/2023 at 09:43, Steve F said:

Hey all,

Massive ignorance confession. I've always done my captions in AIM. But I'd like to start doing them more in Lightroom directly, including my next batch. So I go to Library and then Metadata. And then...? Can someone please let me know which field to fill in. 😁

Thanks in advance, Steve

Yeah the 'Title' is for news when you need to add a headline.

After filling these in on the first image, select all, then 'sync' and the caption/key words and title will be copied along the length of those selected (you have to remain in 'Library' of course - sorry if thats obvious. I sometimes need the obvious pointing out to me).

• Thanks 1