QC and lens flare again

I realize that this topic has been discussed before, but has anyone ever had an image fail QC due to lens flare? I have a couple of recent images shot against the sun with lens flare, and I'm wondering if it's OK to submit them. There are plenty of images with lens flare on Alamy. However, I wonder how many of them come from other, more technically lenient, agencies, and hence don't get eyeballed by Alamy's QC.

Thanks / Merci beaucoup

14 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

I realize that this topic has been discussed before, but has anyone ever had an image fail QC due to lens flare? I have a couple of recent images shot against the sun with lens flare, and I'm wondering if it's OK to submit them. There are plenty of images with lens flare on Alamy. However, I wonder how many of them come from other, more technically lenient, agencies, and hence don't get eyeballed by Alamy's QC.

Thanks / Merci beaucoup

This one of mine passed 5 1/2 years ago. I was timid about uploading it but liked it enough to try.

KR3J25.jpg

Edited by Betty LaRue

1 minute ago, Betty LaRue said:

This one of mine passed 4 1/2 years ago. I was timid about uploading it but liked it enough to try.

KR3J25.jpg

Thanks, Betty. That's encouraging to hear. Sometimes flare makes the image, but with Alamy's technical requirements you never know. Very nice effect BTW.

2 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

Thanks, Betty. That's encouraging to hear. Sometimes flare makes the image, but with Alamy's technical requirements you never know. Very nice effect BTW.

Thank you, John.☺️lol, I changed 4 1/2 yrs to 5 1/2 years (I can’t count). Must’ve done it coinciding with your post.

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, spacecadet said:

I don't get bagged for QC often, but I wouldn't have had any worries about this one, for example.

2PN7N2G.jpg

Thanks. I'm obviously too paranoid about this kind of thing (famous last words).😬

When it comes to submitting content, I'd rather take the risk that it might fail QC than have potentially saleable images sitting on a hard drive doing nothing. I think it's worth the risk, it's no material loss to you if they do fail anyway.

Edited by Cal
  • Love 1

It surely comes down to whether it adds to the image or on the other hand looks like an unintentional error eg)  a blob or two in the sky that adds nothing and looks all wrong. 

My impression is that QC is fairly tolerant of lens flare. Don't think I'be had a fail through it, I do tend to remove it if it is as above just a story blob or two

Edited by geogphotos
  • Like 1

On 06/06/2023 at 10:00, geogphotos said:

It surely comes down to whether it adds to the image or on the other hand looks like an unintentional error eg)  a blob or two in the sky that adds nothing and looks all wrong. 

My impression is that QC is fairly tolerant of lens flare. Don't think I'be had a fail through it, I do tend to remove it if it is as above just a story blob or true

Yes, that's the reason for my concern. It's an unintentional blob off to one side rather than an effect that enhances the image as in Betty's example above. Perhaps I can find a blob-removal tool. 😝

13 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

Yes, that's the reason for my concern. It's an unintentional blob off to one side rather than an effect that enhances the image as in Betty's example above. Perhaps I can find a blob-removal tool. 😝

If it is too big or too complex an area to remove can you crop it out?

10 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

If it is too big or too complex an area to remove can you crop it out?

Good suggestion, but cropping wouldn't work.

I have Affinity Photo, so I might give this a try, although I'm not very adept at using layers, etc.

Edited by John Mitchell

I have not had one fail for flare - I would guess that flare as in Betty's image would pass, but more "generalised" flare that simply softens and dilutes the image would fail.

Kumar

I'm thinking about whether QC determines it to be deliberate flare, as opposed to just accidental. Deliberate would pass, accidental not.

Same with deliberate subject motion blur or any of the other reasons that QC would normally fail for. 

Also relies on QC being human and not automated probably....

Thanks very much for all the helpful responses. Actually, the unsightly blob in my image is more like ghosting, which I guess is a kind of flare. Think I'll just forget the image in question and try retaking it at some point, perhaps with another lens. That's often the best solution.