Do Any of You Know . . .

I don't think they ever will. The issue being that the different phones would require something different for each type from Alamy. I believe you can put an image taken by another phone into an iPad and upload from there. Not sure about that. I might be making it up. You can get the Stockimo app for an iPad so it seems like it would be possible.

Paulette

• Thanks 1

New people in Stockimo only get 20% of sales but I think if you are a long-standing Alamy contributor that is not true. I know at the time we were told to sign up so we would get our Alamy amount. I believe I still get 50% but they don't tell you anything at all about sales.... just the dollar amount. I've never been good at Stockimo so I don't often submit anything.

Paulette

7 hours ago, NYCat said:

New people in Stockimo only get 20% of sales but I think if you are a long-standing Alamy contributor that is not true. I know at the time we were told to sign up so we would get our Alamy amount. I believe I still get 50% but they don't tell you anything at all about sales.... just the dollar amount. I've never been good at Stockimo so I don't often submit anything.

Paulette

It's 50% for long-standing S. contributors and % is shown in the app. Being with Alamy for a long time doesn't make one eligible for this share in S. automatically. Only iPhone/iPad, yes.

Edited by Ognyan Yosifov
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Ognyan Yosifov said:

It's 50% for long-standing S. contributors and % is shown in the app. Being with Alamy for a long time doesn't make one eligible for this share in S. automatically. Only iPhone/iPad, yes.

Thank you. I looked and saw "Account". Had never looked at that before. I am 50% so maybe I ought to do more with it since I'm getting more than on Alamy. I'm not very confident with it and kind of doubt the people looking for wildlife want a phone pic.

Paulette

• Love 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, NYCat said:

Thank you. I looked and saw "Account". Had never looked at that before. I am 50% so maybe I ought to do more with it since I'm getting more than on Alamy. I'm not very confident with it and kind of doubt the people looking for wildlife want a phone pic.

Paulette

I'm not so sure what anyone buys off S. Not a single sale from a longstanding account and yet I do well on Alamy. Beats me what they want.

• Thanks 1

I've sold both the same kinds of travel stuff I sell from my regular Alamy account (some have been used in articles alongside others sourced from regular Alamy Images) but more sales have been somewhat stylized and highly processed images, some of which were also used in travel articles. I think people look at the Alamy collection as a whole and just license what they like. I originally used it for highly processed iPhone pix but now that my iPhone takes such high quality regular photos I will often use it to capture travel and editorial images when I'm out without my camera.

In looking at my sales there, I think it still favors the more highly processed images. I just uploaded a few last Friday - both somewhat processed and some in which I simply used some highlights/darks adjustments. Haven't had a decision on them yet but now I'm interested to see which are preferred. It's a really fun and creative app. I use it for food pix a lot too even if I'm home because it's just easier for any spur of the minute to use my phone, though it's certainly better when I take the time to set things up and now that I have some smaller portable lights I hope I'll turn to my camera for a quick photo e.g. of my breakfast but the phone is really easy for those "grab shots."

I processed the few I uploaded Friday on my iPhone and didn't even think to use my iPad which has a much larger screen. 🤦🏻‍♀️

I'm at 50% commission but I don't know what the original price is - usually my cut is $ whereas in the beginning my cut was $25 but we all know the world of pricing has changed. I've shown iPhone photographs in a couple of different gallery shows here in NY and really they are great if you don't want to blow them up past around 16 x 20. 

I bet buyers would love those adorable polar bears! 🐻‍❄️  (though you can't really get close enough without a huge lens, I know) 

I think I'm processing them less now because my phone pix are good, whereas when I started out with the iPhone 6,  the pix needed filters if you were looking at them beyond the small screen size. 

Edited by Marianne

11 hours ago, Marianne said:

I bet buyers would love those adorable polar bears! 🐻‍❄️  (though you can't really get close enough without a huge lens, I know) 

Well maybe through glass at a zoo but the shots I have would look minuscule with an iPhone. NEVER go close to a polar bear.

Paulette

Laugh emojis please for @NYCat and @John Morrison

Exactly Paulette I know you couldn't possibly take your amazing animal photos with an iPhone. Aren't Polar Bears the most dangerous of them all? I think there was a story about an unhoused man's unfortunate encounter with one when he invaded her privacy at the Central Park Zoo some years back or is that apocryphal? I remember on the last day of my last camping trip in my 20s a mama bear and her cub wandered into our campsite. I slept in the car that night. No chances for this New Yorker raised in the Bronx. I may live in a fairly rural suburb these days but I do my best to steer clear of the bobcats and coyotes I sometimes come across in my ramblings. I don't try for photos, just slowly and purposely walk away. I was scared of dogs as a kid so bears are still way too scary. I admire your work and your bravery! 

OTH, when my daughter's 4th grade class had their beach day, I wowed her classmates by showing them how to pick up a horseshoe crab. They may look prehistoric and scary, but growing up on City Island in the Bronx, I was a beach bum as a kid and learned they were relatively harmless at an early age - I also learned how to pick up blue crabs at the Jersey shore (they can take a nice nip if you're not careful). Sea creatures don't scare me 

Edited by Marianne

22 minutes ago, Marianne said:

Laugh emojis please for @NYCat and @John Morrison

Exactly Paulette I know you couldn't possibly take your amazing animal photos with an iPhone. Aren't Polar Bears the most dangerous of them all? I think there was a story about an unhoused man's unfortunate encounter with one when he invaded her privacy at the Central Park Zoo some years back or is that apocryphal? I remember on the last day of my last camping trip in my 20s a mama bear and her cub wandered into our campsite. I slept in the car that night. No chances for this New Yorker raised in the Bronx. I may live in a fairly rural suburb these days but I do my best to steer clear of the bobcats and coyotes I sometimes come across in my ramblings. I don't try for photos, just slowly and purposely walk away. I was scared of dogs as a kid so bears are still way too scary. I admire your work and your bravery! 

OTH, when my daughter's 4th grade class had their beach day, I wowed her classmates by showing them how to pick up a horseshoe crab. They may look prehistoric and scary, but growing up on City Island in the Bronx, I was a beach bum as a kid and learned they were relatively harmless at an early age - I also learned how to pick up blue crabs at the Jersey shore (they can take a nice nip if you're not careful). Sea creatures don't scare me 

I’ve fished for most of my life so have handled worms, (night crawlers big as baby snakes) minnows, crawdads, toads, frogs & fish.
One time, after dark we were fishing for catfish below the dam on the river. I hooked into a  big gar…talk about prehistoric…and as I reeled it up on the bank it slid a bit toward the feet of my young, future son-in-law. He jumped from his chair as the gar approached his feet, and 2 seconds later, he was 30 yards up the river bank. He wasn’t using the crawdads for bait, either. 
I will admit when a crawdad pinched onto my finger while getting it out of the bait bucket, I squealed like a pig. More from expectation than pain. Like when you think someone’s hiding around a corner to scare you, but you still jump out of your skin when they do.

• Love 1