Nice calendar sale

TABan

Very generous to show us this Todd, and congratulations on the sale, but a thought . . . there are currently only three images of this fountain taken at this or similar angle on the whole of Alamy . . . and many now know it has sold quite well . . . it will be interesting to see if more instances of this view spring up over the next few months. I hope not, but apparently this is a common occurence at other places. Will Alamy be different?

EDIT: ooh, looks like I may have upset one of the anonymous would-be-plagiarisers into dishing out a fine red-arrow . . . how sweet :-)

dd

Very generous to show us this Todd, and congratulations on the sale, but a thought . . . there are currently only three images of this fountain taken at this or similar angle on the whole of Alamy . . . and many now know it has sold quite well . . . it will be interesting to see if more instances of this view spring up over the next few months. I hope not, but apparently this is a common occurence at other places. Will Alamy be different?

dd

That's interesting. It looks like Most people concentrate on the water jet that occasionally shoots across the river. It's probably inevitable, so I won't fret over it. And they'll have to wait until spring for it to be turned back on. Maybe they'll forget.

I have several multiple-sellers both here and elsewhere . . . I simply never identify them as such publicly. It's a lesson I learned some years ago, having a compatriot who had one of her truly huge-sellers copied by several others and submitted to (and accepted by) the same agency that carried the original image. In your case, I hope they'll forget too Todd :)

dd

I have several multiple-sellers both here and elsewhere . . . I simply never identify them as such publicly. It's a lesson I learned some years ago, having a compatriot who had one of her truly huge-sellers copied by several others and submitted to (and accepted by) the same agency that carried the original image. In your case, I hope they'll forget too 

Oh, I have multiple sellers and they're not easily copied since some involve certain VIPs in specific moments and others are set up model shots. Those I don't share. I'm not that concerned about a public fountain anyone can shoot. Especially since I can easily return at different times of day to round out the lighting when the thing is running again. I live here and my rank when it comes to this stuff isn't half bad. Look at how many photos of the Cloud Gate sculpture are on Alamy and elsewhere and yet I still license mine both on Alamy and elsewhere.

• 3 weeks later...

Pleased to hear of your sale.  Now to the image. As it is primarily an architectural shot ever thought of using Photoshop to verticalise the verticals ?

Pardy12

Didn't seem to matter to the customer, did it?

There is a time to correct converging verticals, where needed,  and a time to use them for impact.

I say that as a user of TSE lenses and with a mainly architectural client base.

In the image above the fountain is the main part of the image not the buildings behind, I would have corrected them but it does not bother me that they have not been corrected.

Just my 2p worth

Brian, we end up with a rather sterile world if every bit of natural lens perspective is architecturally corrected. Some clients prefer not to see verticals straightened and actually avoid that look, preferring the lean/convergence seen because it echoes what is seen in film and video, where any such camera angles always result in convergence and it is never corrected. You may also remember the debates 20-30 years ago about cutting the top off heads because TV (even in its 4:3 old shape) did so; there are still photographers who will never close in on a horizontal slice of face the way HDTV does, but they are in a minority. Same with corrected verticals. I tend to go for corrected verticals and always go for level horizons (I work with type on traditional pages, and I know how bad slight angles look next to columns/rules etc). Others do not. There's room for both and it does not indicate any lowering of standards, just a broadending of taste.

I've been shooting stock for almost twenty years. I've worked at an agency as a photo researcher. It has nothing to do with lowering standards. Mark is correct, the buildings aren't the focus of the image and dont need to be corrected.

Another thought. I wager that if you were to look at calendars going back several decades, you'd find plenty of cityscape images with converging verticals.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mark,

When you discover a camera that will correct the verticals in a single image of Big Ben and The Statue of Queen Boadicea, let me know and I'll buy one.

The image you refer to has been shot hundreds if not thousands of times and I have yet to see one without converging verticals. 

ha ha ha , what's funny Mark ?

The image you refer to has been shot hundreds if not thousands of times and I have yet to see one without converging verticals. 

Not only that, but because the shot is taken looking upwards at quite a significant angle, IMO it would look totally wrong if it didn't have converging verticals.

Alan

Really? I thought those London buildings were shaped like that. Have you ever been to Pisa?

I believe every tower in Venice is heading the same way . . .

dd

Archived