Worrying situation over camera repair

10 hours ago, Bryan said:

I too always use the wrist strap, but that didn't prevent the camera from falling from my bicycle pannier that I had failed to close properly. 

I've also dropped my Sony a6500, but that seems to be made of sterner stuff, as it appears to have survived unscathed.

Careless or what !

After losing the viewfinder alignment on my first DSLR by dropping it no more than 6" onto soft lino I now treat them as if they're made of glass.

Murano glass, naturally😉

Edited by spacecadet

Sometimes luck plays apart. Last year on a shoot (standing stones winter solstice site) a grass bank I was standing on gave way. Ended up at the bottom with a dislocated knee and my canon lying in a puddle of muddy water. Got home and left the camera still switched off and Lense on house radiator for a week. Spent several hours cleaning of the mud a crud with a toothbrush, the lense cap was still in place, switched on the camera (cross fingers etc), worked fine and still does.

Andy.

1 hour ago, aphperspective said:

Sometimes luck plays apart. Last year on a shoot (standing stones winter solstice site) a grass bank I was standing on gave way. Ended up at the bottom with a dislocated knee and my canon lying in a puddle of muddy water. Got home and left the camera still switched off and Lense on house radiator for a week. Spent several hours cleaning of the mud a crud with a toothbrush, the lense cap was still in place, switched on the camera (cross fingers etc), worked fine and still does.

Andy.

What about your knee? That is more important.

Allan

11 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

What about your knee? That is more important.

Allan

Thanks to a few kind souls who carried me to the car managed to drive home, knee "popped back in". It was fine just a bit of swelling, large whisky and hot bath helped.

Andy.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Martin L said:

.......and before anyone beats me to it, yes that is probably why my photos from that trip are sh*t

I was not going to say anything.

Allan

45 minutes ago, Martin L said:

Dropped a camera once, it had a nice soft landing, unfortunately down a toilet.

I just can't multi-task

I always put the LID down on the toilet because I have "butterfingers" and very likely to drop things down. They also say that a toilet "sneezes" when you flush so there are microscopic bits of liquid in the air. EEEwwww. So I put the lid down before flushing.

Paulette

3 minutes ago, NYCat said:

I always put the LID down on the toilet because I have "butterfingers" and very likely to drop things down. They also say that a toilet "sneezes" when you flush so there are microscopic bits of liquid in the air. EEEwwww. So I put the lid down before flushing.

Paulette

Over this side of the pond there is an advert for a toilet/bathroom freshener they suggest you use as when you flush the loo it sends out particles which land in various places causing nasty smells.

Why pay out for that when you can simply SHUT THE LID.

Allan

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Martin L said:

Dropped a camera once, it had a nice soft landing, unfortunately down a toilet.

I just can't multi-task

OH dropped her phone down the toilet, dried it out on a lightbox, all fine.

Then a while later she did it again.🤬 Ebay, parts only. Sold though.

39 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

OH dropped her phone down the toilet, dried it out on a lightbox, all fine.

Then a while later she did it again.🤬 Ebay, parts only. Sold though.

What her arms and legs? Bit excessive, it was only a camera

• Love 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/11/2022 at 18:11, John Mitchell said:

One of the reasons (other than parsimony) that I haven't bought an RX100 is that I find them really hard to hold onto even though I don't have large paws. They must be really easy to drop.

I bought a self adhesive grip for my RX100 and it works a treat.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Bryan said:

Still worrying.

Not got your camera back YET.

I would be more than worried.

Allan

BTW Nothing relating to your problem but I have been dealing with LCE in Lincoln and getting some good discounts from them on purchases.

ITMA

Edited by Allan Bell

4 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

No, but I hope some monkey found it in that three canopy jungle. 🤪

Don't forget if it is ever returned to you any photos the monkey takes the copywrite is the monkeys.🐒

Allan

• Love 1
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Less worried as as of today, camera on the way home - apparently.

Worry over, had to cycle over to the post office to pick it up. They appear to have done a good job and with a 3 month guarantee. The lens now slides out almost silently whereas previously it was a wee bit noisy. 

Edited by Bryan
  • Love 1
  • Like 1