Upgrading to Ventura on iMac

Seems like there is another upgrade my iMac is asking me to do.  Just wondering if anyone else has done this yet and any known problems.  Apparently my iMac is capable of doing this, it's 2017 just that as always I hate doing these.  Any thoughts appreciated as always😉

Thank you.

Carol

It's only just been released and it is a new version of macOS so I am intending to wait for a couple of weeks/months to see if there are any serious bugs, more for hardware than software. I am worried that at some point my printer will no longer work on the newest macOS. Of course if there is a software update to an app I use that requires the new OS, then I might go for it.

You can turn off the notifications if you want but it is probably best to leave them on and ignore them.

Edited by MDM
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, MDM said:

It's only just been released and it is a new version of macOS so I am intending to wait for a couple of months or so to see if there are any serious bugs, more for hardware than software. I am worried that at some point my printer will no longer work on the newest macOS. You can turn off the notifications if you want but it is probably best to leave them on and ignore them.

Ah ok, many thanks for your prompt response, appreciated. Yes I will wait as you suggest, I've been happy with the way my iMac has been running and this always seems to happen just when I'm feeling iMac happy.  Grrrr so frustrating😒  Thank you again.  

Carol

My 2017 iMac is also eligible for Ventura, but I'm going to hold off for quite a while.  I think it's not compatible with Parallels 16 (which I use to run Windows apps in a Virtual Machine) so I'd need to buy an upgrade which is expensive.

My old Canon IP4200 and IX400 photo printers stopped being supported by MacOS a couple of updates ago, but I can still operate them via Parallels VM.

Mark

2 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

My 2017 iMac is also eligible for Ventura, but I'm going to hold off for quite a while.  I think it's not compatible with Parallels 16 (which I use to run Windows apps in a Virtual Machine) so I'd need to buy an upgrade which is expensive.

My old Canon IP4200 and IX400 photo printers stopped being supported by MacOS a couple of updates ago, but I can still operate them via Parallels VM.

Mark

Thank you so much for your input Mark, much appreciated.  My printer is just a small HP DeskJet 3637 not that old but as you both suggest I will hold off for now.

The funny thing is that my OH computer went to the place in the sky about a month ago.  He uses a PC it was ancient and after putting up with its numerous breakdowns/crashes/repairs for I don't know how many years, he decided it had to be replaced.  He actually suggested he have my iMac and me getting a new iMac.  A very generous suggestion.  However, I told him mine was 5 years old plus the fact that he's more familiar with PC/Windows.  Also I would have felt bad if anything happened to it if I gave it to him, also the fact that I'm happy with the way is running at the moment.  Eventually a few weeks ago, he sorted himself out with a new Windows PC and is happy with it.  He uses mainly for video editing, something called Da Vinci which I know nothing about.

Also hopefully am going away on a short break soon so definately makes sense to leave any updating until after that😉

Again thanks both for your valued input.....

Carol

If it's any consolation, and I know nothing about Mac, I'm still on Windows 7 and they turned off the updates about 3 years ago. And no, I haven't had any viruses. My PC has just turned 13. The only thing it won't do is connect to OH's nice new printer so I have to use a nasty old one.

Just sayin' is all.

• Love 1

42 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

If it's any consolation, and I know nothing about Mac, I'm still on Windows 7 and they turned off the updates about 3 years ago. And no, I haven't had any viruses. My PC has just turned 13. The only thing it won't do is connect to OH's nice new printer so I have to use a nasty old one.

Just sayin' is all.

Yep, I run Windows 7 in my Virtual Machine and it drives my old Canon IP4200 and IX4000 printers using PSE7. I've tried later versions of Windows but, with the possible exception of Windows 11, I much prefer 7, especially as MS no longer force updates on it (although I have disabled internet access for the VM anyway).

Mark

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Just sayin' is all.

1 hour ago, M.Chapman said:

Yep, I run Windows 7 in my Virtual Machine and it drives my old Canon IP4200 and IX4000 printers using PSE7. I've tried later versions of Windows but, with the possible exception of Windows 11, I much prefer 7, especially as MS no longer force updates on it (although I have disabled internet access for the VM anyway).

Mark

Wow Windows 7 that's brilliant.  I think OH updated to Windows 10 as whatever programme he was using at the time necessitated it but I could be wrong, however I think that's also when various problems started to happen.  I think his was about 15 years old. The new run apparently is Windows 11 and at the moment is fine and long may it stay that way!😊 Anyway the inner workings won't be going to waste as my neighbour's son has just started at Uni doing computer science so he will make use of all the various parts😄

Carol

On 27/10/2022 at 19:55, Richard Coombs said:

If it helps, I have upgraded to Ventura on one of my MacBooks. All fine and working well. PS, LR and C1 are good. I'm not going to update my iMac's just yet though!

Many thanks Richard, everything helps😊 pleased you successfully upgraded one of your MacBooks and all is well.  Looking forward to hearing when others have upgraded the slightly older iMacs😁

Carol

20 hours ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

Many thanks Richard, everything helps😊 pleased you successfully upgraded one of your MacBooks and all is well.  Looking forward to hearing when others have upgraded the slightly older iMacs😁

Carol

No problem Carol. These updates can be a little unnerving until 'real world' feedback is available. I always update one of my machines as soon as an upgrade is available to see what happens 😳

I've just updated a 2019 iMac which is the oldest that I have. Again, all seems to be fine, LR, PS, C1 and scanning software working as they should.

All the best.

Rich.

1 hour ago, Richard Coombs said:

No problem Carol. These updates can be a little unnerving until 'real world' feedback is available. I always update one of my machines as soon as an upgrade is available to see what happens 😳

I've just updated a 2019 iMac which is the oldest that I have. Again, all seems to be fine, LR, PS, C1 and scanning software working as they should.

All the best.

Rich.

Many thanks again Rich, that's good to know.  My iMac and I think a few others have slightly older 2017

so hopefully they will be ok🙏  Can I ask how long it took for the iMac to update, and yes I find them very unnerving and hate looking at a blank screen for hours🙃

Carol

The MacBook Air that’s in my backpack right now is still running Big Sur, and does everything I want. My 15” MBP at home runs Monterey very nicely. I have a MBP 13” 2018 that will run Ventura  later, just to familiarise myself with it. Going by previous upgrades I’m likely to switch fully to Ventura around May/June next year latest. No rush.

4 hours ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

Many thanks again Rich, that's good to know.  My iMac and I think a few others have slightly older 2017

so hopefully they will be ok🙏  Can I ask how long it took for the iMac to update, and yes I find them very unnerving and hate looking at a blank screen for hours🙃

Carol

Hi Carol.

I didn't time it, but I reckon it was the best part of an hour start to finish. The MacBook was quicker, something like 45 minutes maybe. I always switch off all sleep processes, set the update going and walk away from it, do something else, and just glance at the screen as I'm passing too and fro. I find cooking to be a good distraction! 🤣

Rich.

On 25/10/2022 at 23:12, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

Seems like there is another upgrade my iMac is asking me to do.  Just wondering if anyone else has done this yet and any known problems.  Apparently my iMac is capable of doing this, it's 2017 just that as always I hate doing these.  Any thoughts appreciated as always😉

Thank you.

Carol

Above all remember to have a good backup, particularly of data you can't bear to lose. When I upgraded to Monterey I had the thankfully rare occurrence of a total system wipeout. Thankfully had the foresight to update my system image backup right before I did it, so I could just put everything back to how it was and try again, this time a success.

Backups always seem like a drag until you have to rely on one, then you count your lucky stars. Having worked in IT in the past I've seen the carnage caused by lack of working backups, it isn't pretty...

22 hours ago, Richard Coombs said:

Hi Carol.

I didn't time it, but I reckon it was the best part of an hour start to finish. The MacBook was quicker, something like 45 minutes maybe. I always switch off all sleep processes, set the update going and walk away from it, do something else, and just glance at the screen as I'm passing too and fro. I find cooking to be a good distraction! 🤣

Rich.

Thank you again Rich, you are good to walk away from it which is what I should do, but find myself sitting staring at it😄  A friend of mine updated his today, it's the same year as mine we got them at the same time.  He said he didn't have any problems and everything works fine.  However, I'm still going to wait a while😁

Carol

3 hours ago, Cal said:

Above all remember to have a good backup, particularly of data you can't bear to lose. When I upgraded to Monterey I had the thankfully rare occurrence of a total system wipeout. Thankfully had the foresight to update my system image backup right before I did it, so I could just put everything back to how it was and try again, this time a success.

Backups always seem like a drag until you have to rely on one, then you count your lucky stars. Having worked in IT in the past I've seen the carnage caused by lack of working backups, it isn't pretty...

Thank you Cal, yes all is backed up but I will double check when before I do the update.  Thank you for your input😄

Carol