Model Release upload page

Hi there,

We have removed the option to upload any new releases, due to GDPR. Customers will no longer have the ability to download the releases either. This is to better protect individuals personal data. All you need to do is to mark your image as released, and we'll get in touch if a customer would ask us for a copy.

Thanks

Alamy 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, KevinS said:

????

Yeah similar to my thoughts on the subject.

Bad enough trying to deal with the whole "is a photograph personal data?" issue on private websites  without getting into the "legally you need a release to use this image but due to personal data laws we the seller cannot keep said release but you can request it from the original photographer - who may or may not be complying with said laws by letting you have said release which said laws then require you to do x y and z with release to remain in compliance" bit.

19 minutes ago, Starsphinx said:

Yeah similar to my thoughts on the subject.

Bad enough trying to deal with the whole "is a photograph personal data?" issue on private websites  without getting into the "legally you need a release to use this image but due to personal data laws we the seller cannot keep said release but you can request it from the original photographer - who may or may not be complying with said laws by letting you have said release which said laws then require you to do x y and z with release to remain in compliance" bit.

No doubt Alamy has done its due diligence, and it's possible that some pre-GPDR releases may not be compliant because of the information given without a GDPR statement, but it's unlikely to be because of the photograph as such. I've mentioned this before- a photograph of a person can be personal data, but most stock photographs won't be because they are not taken for the purposes of identifying the subject.

How a non-compliant release can be made compliant just by asking the photographer I don't know. It seems to me that a model release would easily satisfy one or more of the six GDPR grounds for processing anyway

Hi everyone

We've removed the option to make sure we don't store unnecessary personal data our systems as well as having more control of how the data is processed when needed. The document itself is not the issue as a release is considered a legal document. 

Hope that helps explaining it!

Best

Alamy

• Love 1

Personally I think this is a great move by Alamy, I have 100s of images with my wife in but have always marked them not released because 1, I was not really sure what to do and 2, it seemed to much trouble, but now on the off chance of selling such an image I can easily supply one if needed, Thank you Alamy

• 3 years later...
3 minutes ago, ctppix2021 said:

Hi Everyone,

Can you tell me where can find alamy model release form? i wanna post some model shots but can't find the model release form link!

I googled and found this:

https://www.alamy.com/contributors/alamy-model-release-form.pdf

I'm not sure your Model Release Form has to be identical to this but it may as well be I suppose. Forms are no longer uploaded, you just have to make sure that you have a signed one filed away in case you are ever asked to show it.

• Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

Am I right to conclude that pics with model/property release forms tend to sell better and for more, or is that an oversimplification? If it is correct, I don't understand why Alamy scrapped the necessity of uploading a model/property release. Surely it would be in Alamy's interest to have this automatically associated with the image so that the client could, on inspection, feel confident in their purchase. I guess there is a server overhead in having to store millions of mostly redundant model releases but the low price of storage space would seem to offset that. I know that if I was a customer in a hurry I would want to see a model release rather than relying on a promise that it was kept elsewhere.

I have some with model releases, but the only one I licensed was for three dollars.  Most photos with model releases are for commercial advertising, and the model release alone isn't going to make photos more valuable.   Stock photos in political ads are an example of things that looks like news but aren't.  

The reason for not storing model releases on Alamy's servers seems to be due to data protection acts.  

• Love 1

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Charles Stirling said:

I can understand why Alamy might not want to store model releases due to data protection. Imagine a person stalking, trying to find a person with released image. Just ask for copy of release and have contact details. Could be near impossible to control.

A model release only has name and signature, or should have. You get more from the electoral register.