Coincidence Updating Old Images

Coincidence or not? Yesterday I spent a bit of time updating around 50 images of mine that have been with Alamy since 2014/2015. Basically adding a few relevant keywords to each.

This morning two of them have sold - not for very much mind you - and I would be surprised if they were bought after I had updated them - but its possible I guess

Likely this means I need to go back and update/check all of my older images, have to say some of the keywords I chose in the past look very odd now, and some very obvious keywords were missing

• Love 3

3 hours ago, Foreign Export said:

Coincidence or not? Yesterday I spent a bit of time updating around 50 images of mine that have been with Alamy since 2014/2015. Basically adding a few relevant keywords to each.

This morning two of them have sold - not for very much mind you - and I would be surprised if they were bought after I had updated them - but its possible I guess

Likely this means I need to go back and update/check all of my older images, have to say some of the keywords I chose in the past look very odd now, and some very obvious keywords were missing

Good for you ! I often find that some of my earlier attempts at keywording leave something to be desired in the light of greater experience in this black art. My normal practice is to keyword twice, often picking up errors and omissions on the second pass. You can't overemphasize the importance of keywording.

• Love 1
  • Like 3

I've had similar experiences. Updating / improving keywords is probably at least as important as uploading new images these days as the Alamy collection continues to grow exponentially and things get ever more competitive.

• Love 1
  • Like 2

On 02/06/2022 at 02:48, Foreign Export said:

You can check "My Alamy" to see if there are any searches against your account which are likely to have led to the images and will tell you whether or not your additional keywords were included in the search. 

I've noticed a few recent sales have come in quickly so yours may have sold after being updated. Two recent zooms turned into sales and an image sale came in for one uploaded less than a week ago. Might be nothing but in previous years zooms often took months to turn into sales and I would only ever see sales registered way after (sometimes several months) after they'd appeared in publications. Maybe that is changing now.

I get caught up with trying to get them uploaded and on sale quickly and sometimes when I go back I'm surprised at the keywords I forgot. It's a great exercise to review older images when you have an hour or two to spare. 

• Love 1

On 07/06/2022 at 11:39, Normspics said:

I get caught up with trying to get them uploaded and on sale quickly and sometimes when I go back I'm surprised at the keywords I forgot. It's a great exercise to review older images when you have an hour or two to spare. 

I'm retired. Who has an hour or two to spare?

Allan

• Love 1

Back when Alamy changed how we anoint our images and did away with the boxes of importance, it caused my tags to get into a terrible mess. Truncated phrases, some that were supposed to be singles were combined…I could go on and on. I had about 5,000 images and I redid every…single…image’s… tags.

The nice part of it is I deleted those bad tags I’d put in when I didn’t know what I was doing, and added some pertinent ones that I never thought of at the time. It resulted in a definite uptick in zooms and sales. I could probably redo them again and find fault with a hefty amount.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Andrzej Bajer said:

Hello, I have a question. I have photos that I took a few years ago. My question is whether I can send photos by the normal way, i.e. via QA.

If you're wondering whether it's okay to upload images that you took a few years ago via the normal route, the answer is "yes."  There's no requirement that you get images (other than "Live News") online as soon as you shoot them. I recently was transferring photos to a new RAID backup and found a few from a trip to Maine in 2009 that I decided to process and upload. Just use the regular "Stock" upload method

("Archival" images are much older than those taken in the past 10-15 years).