Jump to content

Recommended Posts

It's the first time that I recall so many warnings directed specifically at photographers when a violent storm is approaching, presumably more at amateurs I suppose. I just heard a weather man add that this is going to be a storm we talk about for years. Be careful out there all you Alamy News photographers, still I expect that Porthleven Church shot will appear on the front pages again but maybe that can be done from a safe distance.

 

Edit: Eunice, not Eustice!

Edited by Harry Harrison
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Harry Harrison said:

It's the first time that I recall so many warnings directed specifically at photographers when a violent storm is approaching, presumably more at amateurs I suppose. I just heard a weather man add that this is going to be a storm we talk about for years. Be careful out there all you Alamy News photographers, still I expect that Porthleven Church shot will appear on the front pages again but maybe that can be done from a safe distance.

Just a small error Mark, everybody else is having Storm Eunice you must be having a secret one. 🙄

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, aphperspective said:

Just a small error Mark, everybody else is having Storm Eunice you must be having a secret one.

Ah yes, thanks, I've never met anyone called either, I must mix in the wrong circles.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Harry Harrison said:

It's the first time that I recall so many warnings directed specifically at photographers when a violent storm is approaching, presumably more at amateurs I suppose. I just heard a weather man add that this is going to be a storm we talk about for years. Be careful out there all you Alamy News photographers

We sadly lost a valued member of Alamy in a coastal storm a couple of years ago .. be very careful out there.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Harry Harrison said:

Ah yes, thanks, I've never met anyone called either, I must mix in the wrong circles.

 

In my cat-sitting business I look after a cat called Eustace. The other one is Algernon. The owner is from England.

 

Paulette

  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, NYCat said:

In my cat-sitting business I look after a cat called Eustace

I've got a horrible feeling that I was channelling an English Conservative politician, George Eustice, 'Secretary of State for Environment, Food & Rural Affairs'. He often crops up on the early morning farming programme on the radio, the delightful 'On your farm'. 

 

P.S. I don't have a farm, but just for those twenty minutes....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You would have to be seriously dedicated to go out in a bad storm to get images that will sell for a dollar or two.

I'll stay tucked up at home in the warm.

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, BobD said:

Just had two big trees come down in the garden.

😱

We have an apple tree on borrowed time. At least the threatened fence is ours.

Edited by spacecadet
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Part of our garden has woodland that is protected. One has come down right across the "garden" part of the garden and another just reaching the border between the woods and the garden.

I will have to document, photograph and inform the council before removing them.

We live at the top of a valley and the wind can get very strong in the woodland, ironically the woods protect the rest of the garden from the wind. 

That makes 3 large trees we have lost in the last couple of years and gaps are appearing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, BobD said:

You would have to be seriously dedicated to go out in a bad storm to get images that will sell for a dollar or two.

I'll stay tucked up at home in the warm.

Your not far off. 2 licences from live news images only just get to two dollars.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, BobD said:

You would have to be seriously dedicated to go out in a bad storm to get images that will sell for a dollar or two.

I'll stay tucked up at home in the warm.

 

You're right. Tried to get some weather images recently but any sales I've had from them have been web uses. Now Alamy/PA are always asking for us to send them in but at 77cents and $1.69 (gross) there is hardly an incentive to brave the elements. But hey I'm going over old ground, the powers that be won't be changing anything soon.

Edited by Sultanpepa
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Had a chance to inspect the damage from yesterday and it is much worse than I originally thought. Have lost 7 tees altogether 5 large and 2 small. All of which exposes more trees to the wind. Another storm like this one and the woods will be devastated.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Sultanpepa said:

 

You're right. Tried to get some weather images recently but any sales I've had from them have been web uses. Now Alamy/PA are always asking for us to send them in but at 77cents and $1.69 (gross) there is hardly an incentive to brave the elements. But hey I'm going over old ground, the powers that be won't be changing anything soon.

Just a quick tot up including the recent storm Eunice my licences (2 licenced that day) for the last 9 live news submissions average. 0.84 cent.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 19/02/2022 at 11:00, BobD said:

Had a chance to inspect the damage from yesterday and it is much worse than I originally thought. Have lost 7 tees altogether 5 large and 2 small. All of which exposes more trees to the wind. Another storm like this one and the woods will be devastated.

 

We drove into Northumberland at the weekend and saw a pocket of devastation alongside a road, a line of trees all down.  Seemed to be quite local though, not a widespread problem.

 

Meanwhile I've rebuilt our greenhouse for the second time this winter, fingers crossed it will last a while.  Used glue, stiffening bars, silicone mastic, glazing tape and extra metal clips.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.