So how is Part 1 going?  I've spent many "pleasant" hours looking for my images in books, magazines and web sites.

I won't be able to use MS site usage for part 2 since they are RF, but they are adding quite a bit to found usages.

So far Google Books and News has been quite helpful.

Good hunting.

p.s. any search tips would be welcome.

Edited by Reimar
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

I more than tripled my Part 1 listings last year, and my DACS payment actually went down significantly. Not sure how much time and effort I'm willing to put into searching for new magazine and book uses this year.

Unfortunately this new system is a complete lottery. 

Obviously, the more tickets you have the better your chances of getting lucky but there are no guarantees. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, geogphotos said:

Unfortunately this new system is a complete lottery. 

Obviously, the more tickets you have the better your chances of getting lucky but there are no guarantees. 

Being on the other side of the planet, I'm starting to wonder if I'd be better off letting Alamy do the work since they have the info (I assume) required for Part 1.

It was worth it for me to re-run searches using Bing rather than Google.  This threw up many new results. 

I'm passing on Readly this year - too much bother.  Maybe next year, as the search engines don't seem to find many magazine usages.

Edited by Reimar

part 1 is a complete mystery. We have no idea who the qualifying publications are and DACs isn't telling. I made a considered list of about 50 titles with perhaps 250 images and didn't get a single hit. All my revenue came from part 2 and that declines about 20% every year

5 minutes ago, Robert M Estall said:

part 1 is a complete mystery. We have no idea who the qualifying publications are and DACs isn't telling. I made a considered list of about 50 titles with perhaps 250 images and didn't get a single hit. All my revenue came from part 2 and that declines about 20% every year

I appear to be in the same leaky boat.

On 08/02/2022 at 07:57, John Mitchell said:

Being on the other side of the planet, I'm starting to wonder if I'd be better off letting Alamy do the work since they have the info (I assume) required for Part 1.

Im doing my own this year - but have already asked Alamy to take over for 2023- just a better use of my time to pay the 50% commission

35 minutes ago, Foreign Export said:

Im doing my own this year - but have already asked Alamy to take over for 2023- just a better use of my time to pay the 50% commission

Fair enough but in my case I reckon I earn about £80/hour for doing my own. Admittedly that would go up to £infinite/hr if Alamy did it, but I can use the other 50% anyway.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Robert M Estall said:

Mine are about 40:60 so who knows. Ditto part 2, about 20% down last year on 2020.

Of my small number of qualifiers I seem to be able to find a fairly high percentage so I just concentrate on trying to bag one or two new ones each year. Someday I may move onto a higher plane go up a category.

My best client lately is the CAMRA magazine, but I think what you really want are new publications rather than multiple hits in the same ones.

I'll stick with the pix of beer and pubs though.🍻

Anyone know what happened to the coloured smileys?

Edited by spacecadet

On 07/02/2022 at 18:44, John Mitchell said:

I more than tripled my Part 1 listings last year, and my DACS payment actually went down significantly. Not sure how much time and effort I'm willing to put into searching for new magazine and book uses this year.

The point is that the new Part 1 system does not directly correspond to the amount of effort or volume or to what was paid last year.

It depends on the inter-relationship between two datasets:

1) the data collected by CLA ( Copyright Licensing Authority) recording what a sample of licence holders has copied

2) the amount of claimants matching those uses. 

For example, I had a large number of BBC uses, I expect that many others did too. Also, I expect that it was recorded by users in relatively large numbers. The Maths of that leads to a low payout even for quite a large number of images.

Then by contrast I had one image in a book and had £XXXX payout just for that one image. For some reason a lot of users must have copied from that book and hardly anybody else claimed from that pot. Either that or the system malfunctioned😜. While that was very fortunate for me last year there is absolutely no real reason why it should repeat itself this year. 

I am putting in effort and expense because with declining income from First Rights sales the proportion of my income from Secondary Rights and Infringements has increased significantly.

I have been able to add hundreds of websites via Pixsy matches. Who knows how it will work out but I do think it is worth making some effort both throughout the year and in the few weeks when the campaign goes live.

2 hours ago, geogphotos said:

The point is that the new Part 1 system does not directly correspond to the amount of effort or volume or to what was paid last year.

It depends on the inter-relationship between two datasets:

1) the data collected by CLA ( Copyright Licensing Authority) recording what a sample of licence holders has copied

2) the amount of claimants matching those uses. 

For example, I had a large number of BBC uses, I expect that many others did too. Also, I expect that it was recorded by users in relatively large numbers. The Maths of that leads to a low payout even for quite a large number of images.

Then by contrast I had one image in a book and had £XXXX payout just for that one image. For some reason a lot of users must have copied from that book and hardly anybody else claimed from that pot. Either that or the system malfunctioned😜. While that was very fortunate for me last year there is absolutely no real reason why it should repeat itself this year. 

I am putting in effort and expense because with declining income from First Rights sales the proportion of my income from Secondary Rights and Infringements has increased significantly.

I have been able to add hundreds of websites via Pixsy matches. Who knows how it will work out but I do think it is worth making some effort both throughout the year and in the few weeks when the campaign goes live.

Thanks for the explanation. That was quite a windfall for you last year. Congratulations.

I'll try to build up some enthusiasm...

2 hours ago, geogphotos said:

With so many images, I wouldn't know where to start.  Do you link to your Photoshelter account?  I'm not on any of those platforms, so I guess I would have to upload 10,000 images from my computer.  Does that make sense?

13 minutes ago, Reimar said:

With so many images, I wouldn't know where to start.  Do you link to your Photoshelter account?  I'm not on any of those platforms, so I guess I would have to upload 10,000 images from my computer.  Does that make sense?

Pixsy links automatically with my Photoshelter account. It updates in the background as soon as I make new images searchable on Photoshelter. Then Pixsy runs regular searches and reports the results. The primary purpose is to find potential infringements, but I find it just as valuable because it finds legitimate uses.

Yes, you would have to get your images on Photoshelter or some other platform in the first place. I've had my Photoshelter account since 2005. 

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

Reimar, just wondering, do you make more from Part 1 or Part 2 of your DACS claim?

I have no idea.  My pdf statement only mentions a total amount (and no withholding tax for payback 2021).

2 hours ago, Reimar said:

I have no idea.  My pdf statement only mentions a total amount (and no withholding tax for payback 2021).

I made 140 pounds last year and over 90% came from part 2- im convinced I am missing loads of uses 

Edited by Foreign Export

3 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

Didn't you get a page 2 in your pdf which has the breakdown info?

Mark

Duh.  Yes.

For 2020 $2/$337, and last year 2021 it was $12 Part 1/$363 Part 2.  I had found 120 or so usages last year.  This year I found another 120 for 240 or so.  Hardly seems worth the effort.

• Like 1