How to create individual batch folders with names and be able to select the folder to upload an image to

14 minutes ago, Robert M Estall said:

another of those strange questions from a contributor who appears so far not to have submitted  any images

Or read the Alamy instructions.

Allan

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1

6 minutes ago, Joseph Clemson said:

There is no part of the Alamy upload procedure which would require you to create folders. Batches of uploads are created automatically consisting of those photos you upload in a given session, either through the web interface or by FTP..

Hi Joseph, thanks for the only helpful and sarcasm free feedback thus far in this thread.  So is my understanding correct, that it is going to be a miscellaneous bunch of photos, where I have no possibility to create specific folders for each type or genre of photos? like cityscape, nightscape, landscape, etc?

• Love 1

There is a 'Portfolio' option accessible from your dashboard if you want to create your own collections to share with your own contacts. It hasn't really been developed sufficiently but it might be what you are looking for. It's a bit tedious to move the images around but you can create different tabs for different subjects. You also get one chance to give it a meaningful personal URL.

https://www.alamy.com/blog/alamyportfolio

Note that, as Joseph says, you don't upload images to them, you retrospectively arrange your own images once uploaded.

Edited by Harry Harrison
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Joseph Clemson said:

Don't be too harsh in judging the initial responses of the above contributors. Your question came across, rightly or wrongly, as one of many posed by new contributors, fresh from contributing to microstock sites, who didn't bother to read the comprehensive instructions for contributing Alamy provides before posting on the forum. So many of them think Alamy is, and treat it as,  just another microstock site, and it isn't.

In addition, sensitivities are raw amongst the Alamy community, having recently having a 20% reduction in commission and onerous contract terms forced on us. Under these circumstances people feel a little less inclined to act as a free Alamy help line when Alamy are profitting at our expense.

+1

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Vahagn Shahnazaryan said:

Hi Joseph, thanks for the only helpful and sarcasm free feedback thus far in this thread.  So is my understanding correct, that it is going to be a miscellaneous bunch of photos, where I have no possibility to create specific folders for each type or genre of photos? like cityscape, nightscape, landscape, etc?

Once you've keyworded your images then it's easy to select/display a subset using the search options in Alamy Image Manager, or by used Advanced Seach on the main site (search by contributor) where images can then also be added to Lighboxes which can be shared.

Mark

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1

Also, once you've uploaded, you can rename the submission reference number in the left hand column of the Image Manager.  You can't search this column but you can list the submissions by name which helps to narrow down a search (assuming you can remember what you called it..!).  The original submission reference is retained in the main panel above the image thumbnails.

51730536367_12fe85b2c7_c.jpg

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1

There is “somewhat” of another way, though not folders. You can create several pseudonyms and put your landscapes under one specific pseudonym.

Like…

Joe Blow ….landscapes go here

J Blow……wildlife goes here

J Dan Blow….people doing things go here.

Maybe another for miscellaneous subjects

When your images have passed QC and you go to your page where you prep them for sale, your pseudos are in a drop-down box on upper right. Assign the pseudo you want to a particular image.

I have 

Betty LaRue….miscellaneous, general catchall 

B LaRue…..animals, birds, bugs, butterflies (wildlife)

A LaRue…..plant life

Yet when you look at my portfolio by clicking in my image number under my avatar, there is NO separation to anyone looking. It is a way for me to judge what genre of subjects do better than others by zooms and CTR. Many people only have one pseudo and everything goes there.

Caveat….once you create a pseudo, it’s there forever. You can’t delete it unless things have changed without my notice.  So don’t create more pseudos without consideration. That said, if you create one you no longer want, it’s simple to just ignore it.  But you can move images from one pseudo to another by just going back and assigning an image to a different pseudo.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Joseph Clemson said:

There is no facility within Alamy to organise your collection into folders for your own purposes, other than what Harry Harrison describes above. You can allocate up to two categories to each image within Alamy Image Manager, but that is only useful to prospective customers searching the collection by category.

Don't be too harsh in judging the initial responses of the above contributors. Your question came across, rightly or wrongly, as one of many posed by new contributors, fresh from contributing to microstock sites, who didn't bother to read the comprehensive instructions for contributing Alamy provides before posting on the forum. So many of them think Alamy is, and treat it as,  just another microstock site, and it isn't.

In addition, sensitivities are raw amongst the Alamy community, having recently having a 20% reduction in commission and onerous contract terms forced on us. Under these circumstances people feel a little less inclined to act as a free Alamy help line when Alamy are profitting at our expense.

Hi, I can understand your input and their feelings, but feeling disgruntled is no justification to being rude and sarcastic to a fellow member.  

2 hours ago, Vahagn Shahnazaryan said:

Hi, I am not sure I got your point?

Your images are showing with the following

More information: 
This image is a public domain image, which means either that copyright has expired in the image or the copyright holder has waived their copyright. Alamy charges you a fee for access to the high resolution copy of the image.

This indicates that you have ticked this box in Alamy image manager .

Screenshot.png
This box should not be ticked if you took a landscape photo because you created the image and own the copyright. This box is typically only ticked when uploading copies of someone else's image that has been passed into the public domain..

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman
  • Thanks 2

21 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

Your images are showing with the following

More information: 
This image is a public domain image, which means either that copyright has expired in the image or the copyright holder has waived their copyright. Alamy charges you a fee for access to the high resolution copy of the image.

This indicates that you have ticked this box in Alamy image manager .

Screenshot.png
This box should not be ticked if you took a landscape photo because you created the image and own the copyright. This box is typically only ticked when uploading copies of someone else's image that has been passed into the public domain..

Mark

Great and precise explanation Mark, thank you for that.  I ticked those by mistake and will take into note of above.

• Like 2

I’ve had a look at your keywords (tags) and I’m sorry to say you won’t make many, if any sales of some of your images. Your horse, for instance.  What kind of horse? Is it a quarter horse, a Shetland pony, or some other breed? What’s the scientific name or animal family of “horse?

Your plants/flowers, what are their scientific names and where is the location they were grown? 75% of all of my plant sales, the search terms that were used (found in my zooms) were by the scientific name. Instead of “elm tree” the buyer searched the scientific name. That goes for bugs, butterflies, etc. You need the common name and the scientific name.

Don't use “beautiful” as a tag or in the caption. Or if you do, only rarely. You have an image of ice, but in the background are pebbles or stones you call beautiful. They may have been, but in the image they aren’t. They are just out of focus, dark and dull. Someone who may search for “beautiful stones” will not buy that image.

It’s obvious you’ve come from microstock because of the tags “beauty in nature” and “flower head”. Those terms aren’t used here. I know…I began in microstock but saw the error of my ways after a very few months. I used those terms at a place that begins with an “I”.
I literally have taken images of a plant before that I failed, after a day or two, to identify. I won’t upload it if I can’t identify it. I might think it’s something, but it doesn’t work unless I’m positive.  Never guess, you need to be sure it is what you say it is. The white dogs you have identified as shepherds only. You need to drill down to what kind of shepherds. There are at least 16 kinds of shepherds. Buyers want to know.  Are they a mixed breed? Purebred? Males? Females?

You have some lovely images, but your keywords need work.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

I’ve had a look at your keywords (tags) and I’m sorry to say you won’t make many, if any sales of some of your images. Your horse, for instance.  What kind of horse? Is it a quarter horse, a Shetland pony, or some other breed? What’s the scientific name or animal family of “horse?

Your plants/flowers, what are their scientific names and where is the location they were grown? 75% of all of my plant sales, the search terms that were used (found in my zooms) were by the scientific name. Instead of “elm tree” the buyer searched the scientific name. That goes for bugs, butterflies, etc. You need the common name and the scientific name.

Don't use “beautiful” as a tag or in the caption. Or if you do, only rarely. You have an image of ice, but in the background are pebbles or stones you call beautiful. They may have been, but in the image they aren’t. They are just out of focus, dark and dull. Someone who may search for “beautiful stones” will not buy that image.

It’s obvious you’ve come from microstock because of the tags “beauty in nature” and “flower head”. Those terms aren’t used here. I know…I began in microstock but saw the error of my ways after a very few months. I used those terms at a place that begins with an “I”.
I literally have taken images of a plant before that I failed, after a day or two, to identify. I won’t upload it if I can’t identify it. I might think it’s something, but it doesn’t work unless I’m positive.  Never guess, you need to be sure it is what you say it is. The white dogs you have identified as shepherds only. You need to drill down to what kind of shepherds. There are at least 16 kinds of shepherds. Buyers want to know.  Are they a mixed breed? Purebred? Males? Females?

You have some lovely images, but your keywords need work.

Hello Betty,  I would like to thank you very much for the feedback which is priceless.  Yes, it will take some time to identify the unidentified plants and animals, the dogs are Armenian shepherd, special breed called Gampr, I will add it if I missed it. The rest hopefully will come if I succeed to identify missing scientific names.  Also it takes some time to understand the specifics of the macrostock.  Thank you so much for the feedback and support.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Vahagn Shahnazaryan said:

Hello Betty,  I would like to thank you very much for the feedback which is priceless.  Yes, it will take some time to identify the unidentified plants and animals, the dogs are Armenian shepherd, special breed called Gampr, I will add it if I missed it. The rest hopefully will come if I succeed to identify missing scientific names.  Also it takes some time to understand the specifics of the macrostock.  Thank you so much for the feedback and support.

Happy to be of help. ☺️

• Thanks 1