Are you contributing?

geogphotos

Question

Not trying to influence anybody one way or the other. 

How is your level of motivation these days and are you still contributing stock images to Alamy?

DO NOT MENTION ANY OTHER AGENCY OR THEIR EXISTENCE

Edited by geogphotos
  • Like 2

I'm sure that there was a post here about other options - maybe it has been censored. 

Let's just say that Alamy does offer a lot of advantages - ease of upload at the photographer's convenience, no waiting because of staff shortages when others aren't so automated, no disappointment over editing. But the disadvantages are also there especially with the fall in revenue. 

Sometimes a problem just doesn't have an obvious solution. 

Not sure why Alamy is so twitchy about mentioning the existence of un-named other agencies - given that exclusivity has no commercial value. What are we expected to do when commission gets slashed? 

Edited by geogphotos

On 16/09/2021 at 10:48, geogphotos said:

Not trying to influence anybody one way or the other. 

How is your level of motivation these days and are you still contributing stock images to Alamy?

DO NOT MENTION ANY OTHER AGENCY OR THEIR EXISTENCE

Absolute pants, its gone, nada...I've hardly even looked at the forum in months and i was hooked before the nonsense. 

Having spent too long lurking around Westminster in the last year or two, last week I did what I used to do before I got my press card - got  the tube to somewhere else and wandered around aimlessly looking for things to photograph.
I've uploaded over 100 stock images from the day so far and already had one sale ($3!!)

That day did more for my motivation than anything else recently.
Parliament is in recess for another week or so - I will be doing it again.

I left; I came back.  I'm going to put around 350 to 400 pictures that looked the best of the 1100 I had up when I left and will be shooting  stuff I can get to easily (having problems with knees).  I've got a novel in progress but don't know if I can still sell those.   Lightroom Classic's new features have been fun and helped me get more pop out of some earlier photos.   

• Like 2

Being in Texas with no portfolio UK content I don't get the lucrative UK newspaper sales 😂 - and so far none of the "penny stock" China sales.

Contributor reported image pack sale incomes are pathetic.  These appear to be one focus of Alamy sales efforts in a bid to shore up corporate revenues to the detriment of contributors.

All this has sapped motivation.  Still contribute some randomly as I feel like it.  But my efforts in recent months have been and will be going forward on increasing my stock video footage knowledge and portfolio.

21 hours ago, Rebecca Ore said:

I left; I came back.  I'm going to put around 350 to 400 pictures that looked the best of the 1100 I had up when I left and will be shooting  stuff I can get to easily (having problems with knees).  I've got a novel in progress but don't know if I can still sell those.   Lightroom Classic's new features have been fun and helped me get more pop out of some earlier photos.   

welcome back Rebecca

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Rebecca Ore said:

¡Bienvenido de nuevo! 

How are things in Nicaragua?

2 hours ago, Phil said:

Being in Texas with no portfolio UK content I don't get the lucrative UK newspaper sales 😂 - and so far none of the "penny stock" China sales.

Contributor reported image pack sale incomes are pathetic.  These appear to be one focus of Alamy sales efforts in a bid to shore up corporate revenues to the detriment of contributors.

All this has sapped motivation.  Still contribute some randomly as I feel like it.  But my efforts in recent months have been and will be going forward on increasing my stock video footage knowledge and portfolio.

My motivation has tanked as well. I've always been something of a random uploader, but even more so now that the bottom has fallen out of the barrel and the sky is falling in. 😧

Just now, John Mitchell said:

¡Bienvenido de nuevo! 

How are things in Nicaragua?

As surreal as ever.  Taiwan's last ambassador is now a Nicaraguan citizen.  He resigned/retired before the diplomatic break.   I've also decided not to repost anything that is potentially controversial as one woman who left for a few months was not allowed back in after some British woman wrote a very anti-FSLN regime article for a British audiology magazine that mentioned the woman as fearing that she was going to be kidnapped and working without residency, much less permission to work.  The cop and immigration guys who interviewed me as a national wide check on resident aliens were polite, asked questions about my fish tank, photographed my bank deposit email and my Nicaraguan bank card, and took a photo of me in my house.  They wanted to know what I did for a living.   I explained Alamy to them and my small press work.  I had neglected to inform them of a move so got a more thorough interview.   My landlord thought this was hilarious since I'd only moved two blocks.  

Ortega also rounded up everyone named as US assets in the 2010 Wikileaks and by people interrogated earlier as major instigators and sources of weapons.  The US is having a hissy. 

One of the interesting lessons is that any side that stops civil war fast is better than civil war.  2018 was very close to that, with armed people killing on both sides, despite the propaganda that the government was killing peaceful unarmed nonviolent student protestors.  Dead count was between 250 and 350. depending on which count was legitimate.  Friend of mine had someone email him a video of his FSLN lawyer being tortured to death. 

Other than that and my right knee been messed up when the part-time cat tripped me, life has been fairly tranquil if I avoid the propaganda war on Twitter.  My wonderful helper has been juggling a hypochondriac three year old daughter, my British friend's sick animals and dental visit, and me, my knee, and a light bulb that needed to be replaced.

If Ortega finally gets the Chinese to fund his canal, he will have done everything he promised in his lifetime.  There are people who'd happily sacrifice a third of the newborns in this country to see that not happen. 

I plan to re-submit the house building photos and one new one of the finished out with Christmas decorations.   I won't be submitting anything from 2018 street barricades. 

• Love 2

2 hours ago, Rebecca Ore said:

As surreal as ever.  Taiwan's last ambassador is now a Nicaraguan citizen.  He resigned/retired before the diplomatic break.   I've also decided not to repost anything that is potentially controversial as one woman who left for a few months was not allowed back in after some British woman wrote a very anti-FSLN regime article for a British audiology magazine that mentioned the woman as fearing that she was going to be kidnapped and working without residency, much less permission to work.  The cop and immigration guys who interviewed me as a national wide check on resident aliens were polite, asked questions about my fish tank, photographed my bank deposit email and my Nicaraguan bank card, and took a photo of me in my house.  They wanted to know what I did for a living.   I explained Alamy to them and my small press work.  I had neglected to inform them of a move so got a more thorough interview.   My landlord thought this was hilarious since I'd only moved two blocks.  

Ortega also rounded up everyone named as US assets in the 2010 Wikileaks and by people interrogated earlier as major instigators and sources of weapons.  The US is having a hissy. 

One of the interesting lessons is that any side that stops civil war fast is better than civil war.  2018 was very close to that, with armed people killing on both sides, despite the propaganda that the government was killing peaceful unarmed nonviolent student protestors.  Dead count was between 250 and 350. depending on which count was legitimate.  Friend of mine had someone email him a video of his FSLN lawyer being tortured to death. 

Other than that and my right knee been messed up when the part-time cat tripped me, life has been fairly tranquil if I avoid the propaganda war on Twitter.  My wonderful helper has been juggling a hypochondriac three year old daughter, my British friend's sick animals and dental visit, and me, my knee, and a light bulb that needed to be replaced.

If Ortega finally gets the Chinese to fund his canal, he will have done everything he promised in his lifetime.  There are people who'd happily sacrifice a third of the newborns in this country to see that not happen. 

I plan to re-submit the house building photos and one new one of the finished out with Christmas decorations.   I won't be submitting anything from 2018 street barricades. 

Wow! There's never a lack of drama in Nicaragua. Sorry to hear about your knee problems. Best of luck with your return to the Alamy fold.

On 05/01/2022 at 20:52, Rebecca Ore said:

Welcome back. I used to enjoy reading your posts. Myself, so far I haven’t been hit by the really low license fees that others have. My lowest  last year was 3 x $1.67, and thankfully no more. At the end of 2022 I’ll review the effort I’ve been putting in. I have a few hundred edited reportage images I had saved, as I was considering contributing elsewhere as exclusive. I’m likely to upload here before they get too dated. Some were also destined as news for elsewhere, but I held back as in the uk the agency I had contacted licensed through Alamy, that would have given me lower fees. We will see what happens during 2022. I never act on impulse.