Interesting or concerning test case?

• M.Chapman changed the title to Interesting or concerning test case?

That looks quite frightening to me, the notion that a news photograph has no creativity or originality and is therefore not worthy of copyright seems to have the potential to blow out of the water the ability of freelance press photographers to earn a living from their work. Thank you for highlighting this, though I have no idea what can be done about it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Joseph Clemson said:

That looks quite frightening to me, the notion that a news photograph has no creativity or originality and is therefore not worthy of copyright seems to have the potential to blow out of the water the ability of freelance press photographers to earn a living from their work. Thank you for highlighting this, though I have no idea what can be done about it.

No more Pulitzer Prizes then.

• Love 1

That assertion is merely a defence submission- in my view a desperate one. It shouldn't have a prayer at court.

AFP is effectively saying its entire existence is of no value. Scorched-earth indeed- its own earth.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Colblimp said:

AFP has more chance of winning that than I have of hiring King Herod to babysit for my friend...

but just the fact     are making that claim      pretty repugnant.  must feel     for photographers

Edited by meanderingemu

AFP is also arguing that it distributes news within the public domain and that what it publishes doesn't deserve protection under copyright law, as it constitutes 'mere vehicles that broadcast to the public the set of facts that portray a particular daily event or news.' 

So can I upload all AFP news photos to every agency  in my name as they don't 'deserve protection under copyright law'.

Bizarre! I hope AFP has none of mine via another agency. Oh they have published one of mine in 2017 via Citizenside. I await the payment. I am weary of publications using images (not usually via Alamy) and not getting paid. Two major newspapers in the UK did that to me. I emailed the editors a year later and got paid. Do newspaper editors have to email their management a year later to receive their agreed salary? 

Edited by zxzoomy
error
  • Like 4