Does anyone have any recommendations about Monopods?

I have a large Gitzo tripod, I’ll be keeping it but it is rather large and heavy (not my favourite for travel!)

One I came across is from “Davis & Sanford” – anyone any experience?

I've never really seen the monopod as a replacement for a tripod. It can be somewhat helpful when shooting sports and with a few other special situations, but a monopod does not hold a camera steady. In my digital shooting, for most common situations, the higher ISO's  and vibration control have replaced the need for a tripod. 

If you want to remain a traditional tripod user, you might get yourself a light-but-steady carbon fiber tripod for travel. I have a Slik and I hardly notice it when it's carried over my shoulder. 

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=720717&is=REG&Q=&A=details

I understand that, Malcolm, and I referred to it in my post.

But Uganda clearly stated that he was looking to find a way not to carry his heavy tripod. If you look at his collection you'll see that most of his images are Street; he would not find himself holding a 300 tele for 4 hours. Malcolm, you're a sports shooter, and I specifically mentioned that as the best use of a monopod. Uganda does not shoot sports from a specific confined position, like you. I do a lot of Street, and I think Uganda's best approach would be to kit up to shoot handheld with available light. 

Whilst i remember, I don't have VR lenses and I prefer using low ISO's!

I know that monopods are not as stable tripods - but they can help....

(Having said this - small, easy to carry tripods are still considered)

I've been using a Manfrotto 680B for years and found it cuts down on having to hold the weight of a long lens. I attach a screw in universal base "foot" that resembles a birds foot. It reduces any side to side movement and improves unwanted camera shake. It folds up and is stored in the base section when not in use. In light wind the foot will support the entire balanced camera system without holding on to it. I wouldn't walk away from it but fine for brief interludes The foot is prone to unscewing itself though. It's been lost and refound in the woods twice now. I'm six feet tall and the height of the 3 sections is more than high enough for me. I would definitely recommend this system for those interested. Thinking of way to lock foot device in. 

t90x90_ec0e6fd5f0c1de223a0cc4e65484dfb1. Universal Folding Base - 3016,3018,3249,679,680,681 Monopods
Part Number: 678

I use a Manfrotto 679B, just used it continuously on a 9 day shoot. Well made, has 2 extensions (I’m 6ft 3in), perhaps could be half an inch higher when I’m standing, but it has served well for a number of years now, no complaints.

Which head on that Malcolm?

Previously used a 488RC2 ball head from my tripod, now simply screw the monopod into base of the 300mm nikkor, prefer it that way, nice and simple. Never used VR on the monopod, have always switched it off.

As often the case you get what you pay for. I had a cheap one (£15 ish) A camlink? Used it with a d700 and 70-200. Lasted about half an hour before it gave up and started wobbling all over the place.. Then the thread on the monopod got stuck in the lens mount! A kind friend gave me a manfrotto 690b which seems much more sturdy and workman like.

I would certainly use VR/IS/OS on a monopod - not confident I could make it as steady as a tripod!

Have you considered a Vitruvian tripod? Made by Giotto's they are a lightweight, foldable tripod with the option to unscrew a leg (on the tripod) and use it as a monopod.

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/giottos-vitruvian-vgr8255---mh5310-630--review-13536

nj

I purchased one of the mefoto tripods a few months ago as a lightweight option when hiking and my manfrotto is a bit on the heavy side to carry long distance, I will say for the money they are very well made and the detachable monopod is very useful... these tripods are lightweight though  and seem to be a lot more sturdy when they have some weight on them ( They even include a neat little pull down clip so as you can hang your camera bag on it for more stability) the biggest set-up that I would comfortably use on mine is my nikon d700 with a 70-200 2.8 anything bigger and the manfrotto with the billet aluminium gimble head comes out.

Here's a line of tripods that looks interesting:

http://www.mefoto.com

I looked at one in a store and it's very well built and fairly lightweight.

For years whist fishing the pebble coastline of west sussex for cod in the winter I used to carry a nylon bag with me, so as when I set up my tripod rod rest I could fill the bag with pebbles for extra stability.... now a days I think most of the cod have gone from the beaches and I prefer haddock from the chippie anyway :)

My $600 Gitzo tripod, in 1980's dollars, made a really great MONOPOD after Bogen (bought the US distribution rights to Gitzo

in the 90's) refused to honor the "Lifetime and one Reincarnation" warrantee that came with it when I bought it.  Bogen

wanted $300 to fix one leg on the tripod....

Archived