Oh, and the missus has a Loki trekking pole with a screw-off handle that turns it into a monopod. Not the best thing to use, but at least someone gets to carry part of my kit without realising it ;)

FWIW, GItzo also produce a trekking pole monopod. I don't know how effective it is.

http://www.gitzo.co.uk/monotrek-monopod

I rarely use my monopod. Most useful if you have a telephoto/heavy lens and have to stand around for a long time. Also useful in a situation where there is insufficient space for a tripod. I find it difficult to hold a monopod still, prefer to lean against a tree, wall, road sign or whatever else is around.

dov

Oh, and the missus has a Loki trekking pole with a screw-off handle that turns it into a monopod. Not the best thing to use, but at least someone gets to carry part of my kit without realising it ;)

FWIW, GItzo also produce a trekking pole monopod. I don't know how effective it is.

http://www.gitzo.co.uk/monotrek-monopod

I've got one.  Useful when out in the hills and I don't want to carry anything heavier.  The ball head is a bit flimsy though, I'd say on the limit with a DSLR and useless with a heavy lens.  I only use it out in the hills when I would be carrying a walking pole anyway.

When fully extended it's much longer than a normal walking pole, which has come in very useful at times for checking the depth when wading rivers.

I rarely use my monopod. Most useful if you have a telephoto/heavy lens and have to stand around for a long time. Also useful in a situation where there is insufficient space for a tripod. I find it difficult to hold a monopod still, prefer to lean against a tree, wall, road sign or whatever else is around.

dov

Sometimes not possible to get the image you want from the position of the wall, lamp post, traffic sign, fence, etc, etc.

I do not have a monopod.

Just playing devils advocate.

Allan

Do not mix the function of a monopod and a tripod.

A tripod is about a stable platform to sit the camera on for an extended exposure, where as a monopod is about supporting the weight of a longer telephoto lens and 'helping' with stabilising the weight of the lens.  

For what it is worth my 300mm 2.8 is regularly attached to my monopod and at times the 80 - 200 2.8 - it is used more than the tripods.  In my humble opinion I can see the benefit of mounting a camera on a monopod - use a tripod!

I have an old, 20 years plus, Gitzo, cost an arm and a leg when bought but is solid and extends to about six foot, in terms of investment and equipment regularly used, one of the best bits of kit ever purchased.

I've had a monopod for years and never used it until this summer. I had two days at Eastbourne photographing the tennis. After the first day I could barely move my arms, thanks to holding up a heavy Sigma zoom all day. The second day I took the monopod. Not only did it save my arms but I found id did help with stability, especially when sitting down and effectively using it as one leg of a tripod, sort of. 

They can also be pushed up agains a wall or a tree for more stability.

It's a Manfroto - very well built and with a fairly large ball and socket head, just the right height for me.

I occasionally use an Exped Viewfinder monopod, available from SpeedGraphic for £19.95 (a cheap adaptor from 7dayshop allows use in portrait format), which also doubles as a walking pole but prefer the lightweight cheapo tripod bought for longer treks when the real tripod is left in the car boot. Also use the tiny Slik Mini which fits in my messenger bag, DH56K8 was taken with this, but it's not good for portrait format shots.

Hope this helps.

Archived