Sales/Pricing

gardenbush

Question

Morning Everyone - Just been notified that I sold 5 images yesterday - however, total sale price is $0.67. Are these prices normal? My other sales have been in the $$ and $$$ regions...

Many thanks

Colin

16 answers to this question

Were these sold as part of the NU (novel use) scheme? It should tell you in the sales report. 
Touch wood I have never had sales as low as that, but I am not in the NU scheme I opted out. For you information you can remove your images from NU, BUT only in April of each year. 

1 hour ago, george said:

Were these sold as part of the NU (novel use) scheme? It should tell you in the sales report. 
Touch wood I have never had sales as low as that, but I am not in the NU scheme I opted out. For you information you can remove your images from NU, BUT only in April of each year. 

Hi George - I am in the NU thing - sales report states, 'Bulk discount, flat rate' - does not state NU explicitly - thanks for your response btw..

Just found 2 of those myself - "Bulk Discount, Flat Rate" and distro - for a combined total of $0.37. That leaves me with $0.11 and with the current exchange rate that's about 8 pence, 8 whole pennies! Now, where did I leave that car magazine?

My guess would be that a client says:

'I want a vary large number of images. I can either buy at Suckerstock or I'll buy from you if you match their prices'.

Edited by geogphotos

Good fun this 🙂 Out of the 5 images that sold, 2 are duplicates - 1 sold for $0.27 and its brother for $0.10 - I am expecting that the client will want a refund of $0.27 when they realise their error...

1 hour ago, geogphotos said:

'I want a vary large number of images. I can either buy at Suckerstock or I'll buy from you if you match their prices'.

My uneducated guess is that some these mysterious distributors offer microstock-like subscriptions, so there is no need to go to SS, etc.

4 hours ago, geogphotos said:

this is more insidious since Alamy does it (hides it) through a distributor, so then the can claim that Alamy label never sell for such a low amount.  

7 hours ago, meanderingemu said:

this is more insidious since Alamy does it (hides it) through a distributor, so then the can claim that Alamy label never sell for such a low amount.  

To be fair, Alamy may not have much, if any, control over how distributors price images.

7 minutes ago, David Pimborough said:

Go to your dashboard

https://www.alamy.com/myalamy-aim.aspx

Open "Additional revenue options" then untick the Novel Use

I think it's too late. Isn't it only in April of each year?

Edited by gvallee

4 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

To be fair, Alamy may not have much, if any, control over how distributors price images.

Alamy has control who they make a distributor agreement with.  Alamy has control what they put in the agreement with the distributor.

Sorry but if we are going to blame contributor for using specific distribution channels (ie.microstock agency) i think we can also question Alamy's decision in what channel to sign an agreement with. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, David Pimborough said:

Go to your dashboard

https://www.alamy.com/myalamy-aim.aspx

Open "Additional revenue options" then untick the Novel Use

if this is one specific distributor, you can remove their country of origin from the Distribution model- pretty sure that's year round. Anyone got any indication in sale download?

Edit" My mistake, April only  also

Edited by meanderingemu

Well that's a canny move!

So the default is to be IN all these schemes....and the April 'deadline' is hardly well publicised (or maybe I was sleeping).

:(:(:(

But thanks for replies.

5 hours ago, meanderingemu said:

Alamy has control who they make a distributor agreement with.  Alamy has control what they put in the agreement with the distributor.

Sorry but if we are going to blame contributor for using specific distribution channels (ie.microstock agency) i think we can also question Alamy's decision in what channel to sign an agreement with. 

I wonder how upfront some of these agencies are when it comes to their pricing policies. Whatever the case, one would hope that Alamy would take the distributors selling images at these absurdly low prices to task or even withdraw from the agreement(s). Doubt if this will happen, though.

• Like 1