Let's Talk Cameras For A Minute: DSLR -> Mirrorless

I may finally be able to replace my dead DSLR which was an old Canon EOS 30D.

I am trying to decide between upgrading to an EOS Mark IV or an R series Mirrorless.

Has anyone made this transition from DSLR to Mirrorless and are you happy with the mirrorless camera?

Scanning a few pages of your port, Kimba, I see nothing you could not do with a basic mirrorless. And lots of people are happy having traded their DSLRs for a smaller, lighter mirrorless kit.

After making the switch from film to digital I stayed with Nikon. Now I own 4 small Sonys: Rx100/V, RX100/6, RX10, and a6000. 

• Love 2

Thanks Ed! My stock photography is fairly straight up point and shoot, but I do fine art photography as well - which is a bit experimental.  But yes, it would be nice to have a lighter setup given that a lot of my editorial/stock is travel related.

I also need to film. I thought I could do that with my iPhone, but it just doesn't have the chops. 

See this recent long thread on mirrorless cameras. It rambles quite a bit but there is a lot of good info in it as well. If you are going to be shooting video, then there are some definite advantages to mirrorless. Make sure to consider IBIS (in body image stabilisation) in whatever camera you choose as this can be a big advantage of mirrorless.  

• Love 1

10 minutes ago, kimba said:

Thanks MDM - I wanted to search the forums but a link is good!

No problem kimba. You will find everyone advocating their favourite cameras - lots of Fuji lovers in that thread. Stick with Canon if you have lenses that you can use with the adaptor but you might find that limiting if you want to go full frame. It all depends on your budget in the end.

• Love 2

If you want a lighter kit you won't find it by just changing to a new camera body as your existing lenses are still comparatively heavier than new lenses made for the newer lighter bodies.

But I take Mick's point and if you do not have the funds then it makes sense to stick with you existing lenses.

Allan

I still have the Canon 5D IV but for the last year or so have been using the M6 Mark II increasingly: it is smaller and lighter, and the image quality is great.  If you are moving from the 30D, the sensor size is the same anyway (the resolution is actually greater than that of the 5d IV, with a crop as opposed to full frame sensor).  The lens adaptor works perfectly, so no need for new lenses.  I usually keep the geeky-looking viewfinder attachment in place, but rarely use it, except in very bright light when I really cannot use the rear screen to compose.  There is no need to move to the R range of mirrorless if you prefer not to.  The price of the M6 II body at present is a bargain.  

Graham

19 hours ago, kimba said:

Has anyone made this transition from DSLR to Mirrorless and are you happy with the mirrorless camera?

Hi Kimba

I have just upgraded from Canon 5D3 plus 7D2 to the Canon R5. Very pleased so far.

Reasons to upgrade for me were:

1. Newest mirrorless cameras have very good EVF which is almost like an optical viewfinder, and has some advantages also e.g. checking exposure

2. Newest mirrorless cameras do not have the shutter lag previous ones did

(Those 2 were the main reasons I had not upgraded before)

Other advantages over my previous kit were:

1. Camera bodies and RF lenses slightly smaller and lighter than the DSLRs and EF lenses

2. R5 and R6 have in-body image stabilisation which works very well

3. Autofocus is much better and animal-eye focus is a revelation for wildlife/bird photography

4. Canon have introduced some new lenses in RF which don't exist in the EF range, eg. 800mm F11

In addition

1. You can get an EF-RF adaptor so you can use EF (and I believe EF-S) lenses on the R series cameras

Potential difficulties are:

1. The new cameras (R5 and R6) are expensive, and the RF lenses are particularly expensive

2. Many of the lenses, as well as the Canon adapter are hard to come by in the UK at the moment due to supply issues (Other make EF-RF adapters are available)

However: As a result of these new cameras and lenses I would think there will be very good second-hand bargains for Canon DSLRs and EF lenses around!

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

Kumar

• Love 3
  • Like 2

Just a thought kimba.  If you are thinking about going full frame and spending the sort of money that Kumar is taking about, then it is definitely worth considering a change to a different system, as your existing lenses will probably not be much use from 30D to full frame. The Nikon Z6 with 24-70 f4 is an excellent package (less than £2000 in the UK) and is a lot cheaper than the equivalent Canon R body alone, never mind adding a decent lens or two. The Nikon 24-70 is an excellent lens, pro quality even though it comes in a kit. It is incredibly good value for the quality and specifications. 

• Love 3

14 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

If you want a lighter kit you won't find it by just changing to a new camera body as your existing lenses are still comparatively heavier than new lenses made for the newer lighter bodies.

But I take Mick's point and if you do not have the funds then it makes sense to stick with you existing lenses.

Allan

All of my gear was stolen two years ago (it was at the end of life anyway) so I'm building back from scratch. I just need a new body and one zoom lens to get back to working again.

3 hours ago, MDM said:

Just a thought kimba.  If you are thinking about going full frame and spending the sort of money that Kumar is taking about, then it is definitely worth considering a change to a different system, as your existing lenses will probably not be much use from 30D to full frame. The Nikon Z6 with 24-70 f4 is an excellent package (less than £2000 in the UK) and is a lot cheaper than the equivalent Canon R body alone, never mind adding a decent lens or two. The Nikon 24-70 is an excellent lens, pro quality even though it comes in a kit. It is incredibly good value for the quality and specifications. 

I've been a Canon Grrl since 1975. I can't see myself switching brands ... but I will check out the Nikons. Thanks!

I’ve been with Fuji for awhile, coming from full-frame Nikon. I’m on my third Fuji, the X-T4 with Ibis. Just got it along with a TC. I do fine art also, with POD places. I love mirrorless and will never go back. I don’t do video, but I’m told the T-4 does well with it. 
Good luck with your decision.

I was very loyal to Nikon also, but there is life after Nikon/Canon. The Fuji lenses beat the heck out of Nikon’s, at least what they had when I left unless I wanted to sell a kidney. I even had the venerable 24-70 that froze on me in a couple of years. A common problem.

There are many good options out there. Good luck. The lens lineup that Fuji has is stellar.

• Love 2

17 hours ago, kimba said:

I've been a Canon Grrl since 1975. I can't see myself switching brands ... but I will check out the Nikons. Thanks!

Understandable brand loyalty but, if you ever did want to consider a change, now would be the time, as going mirrorless and not having legacy lenses or kit you are really going to a whole new system. There are three big players in the full frame market - Canon, Nikon and Sony and there is a battle going on between them. Fuji do not do full frame cameras. Panasonic is also now a big player in the mirrorless market, particularly for video. 

I am only familiar with Nikon so it is not brand bias - just that that is all I know about from personal experience and I can say that the gear is top quality and cheaper at the moment than the others. Anyway Nikon have just upgraded their initial mirrorless cameras, now two years old, but the upgrades were relatively minor and the initial cameras are still on sale new at incredible prices. I'll leave that there 😀.

On 19/03/2021 at 20:21, kimba said:

I also need to film. I thought I could do that with my iPhone, but it just doesn't have the chops. 

What are you intending to do with video?

Edited by MDM
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, kimba said:

What does anyone do with video? Create films. 

Feature films, documentaries, vlogging, stock video, HD, 4K, 6K, 8K, raw video, SDR, HDR - just a few of the things to think about. 😀

• Love 1

7 hours ago, MDM said:

Understandable brand loyalty but, if you ever did want to consider a change, now would be the time, as going mirrorless and not having legacy lenses or kit you are really going to a whole new system. There are three big players in the full frame market - Canon, Nikon and Sony and there is a battle going on between them. Fuji do not do full frame cameras. Panasonic is also now a big player in the mirrorless market, particularly for video. 

I am only familiar with Nikon so it is not brand bias - just that that is all I know about from personal experience and I can say that the gear is top quality and cheaper at the moment than the others. Anyway Nikon have just upgraded their initial mirrorless cameras, now two years old, but the upgrades were relatively minor and the initial cameras are still on sale new at incredible prices. I'll leave that there 😀.

What are you intending to do with video?

True. Fujifilm doesn’t make full frame. But they do make some nice medium format ones.

• Love 3

Kimba,

The best camera is the one in your hand......

If you like Canon, stay with Canon.  I started working for a small daily newspaper

in 1975, Pentax SpotMatic, then bought a NIKON FTN, Used NIKON's for a decade then switched to 

Canon FD mount SLR's for a decade.  My first picture published in NEWSWEEK, 1980, was shot with

a Leica M3 with a Canon 28 f2.5 lens.  I also did a lot of work with OLYMPUS SLR's (great glass) 

If money was no object I would be using Leica M's with E. Leitz glass and in the studio

Hasselblads 100MP MF digitals, but money is an issue so I use NIKON DSLR's.

I will say that from the film days, in my opinion the best glass was the Canon L series FD mount lenses.

Chuck

• Love 2

On 20/03/2021 at 04:02, Graham said:

I still have the Canon 5D IV but for the last year or so have been using the M6 Mark II increasingly: it is smaller and lighter, and the image quality is great.  If you are moving from the 30D, the sensor size is the same anyway (the resolution is actually greater than that of the 5d IV, with a crop as opposed to full frame sensor).  The lens adaptor works perfectly, so no need for new lenses.  I usually keep the geeky-looking viewfinder attachment in place, but rarely use it, except in very bright light when I really cannot use the rear screen to compose.  There is no need to move to the R range of mirrorless if you prefer not to.  The price of the M6 II body at present is a bargain.  

Graham

Thanks Graham - I definitely want to move to full-frame. I have never gotten used to the croppiness of the less expensive (the ones I could afford) Canons!

I've been narrowing it down and am between the 5D Mark IV and the R5. 

I haven't quite pulled the budget together yet, so when that all falls into place, the budget will be the deciding factor.

Thanks everyone!

24 minutes ago, kimba said:

I've been narrowing it down and am between the 5D Mark IV and the R5. 

I haven't quite pulled the budget together yet, so when that all falls into place, the budget will be the deciding factor.

Thanks everyone!

Just a couple of other considerations in case you have never used a high MP camera before. You will need a reasonably fast computer to handle the 45MP files from the R5. You will also need the best lenses as such high MP cameras will show up any flaws. Even the 30MP of the 5D Mark IV will demand good glass and a decent computer.

• Love 2

MDM - I only buy the Canon lenses - EF-L glass lenses in the past, but I'll have to research that - I usually just purchase one zoom to cover everything because I do not like carrying or switching out lenses.