I noticed a couple of threads on mirrorless and it was interesting to see the responses, some not too sure yet, others no way, etc.

By chance I bumped into this guy https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2016/feb/18/world-press-photo-of-the-year-goes-to-image-of-child-crossing-border-fence we got talking, I was amazed he was carrying a couple of Fuji x pro2s, he had been offered all sorts of latest equipment from Nikon and Canon but refused because they weren’t compact, lightweight and tough enough for the type of photography he does.

I agree, at the time I was carrying a second hand Canon M50 with kit lens which for most types of photography is great.

The vast majority of my sales over the summer were taken with this combo and cheap 75-300 with adapter.

Now, I’m not saying that I will give up my Canon 1DX just yet for action or sport photography but my dslr’s are being increasingly left in the bag.

Anyone else?

Edited by PAL Media
spelling
  • Like 1

I sold my DSLR when I got my A7iii, but I haven't looked back. It's really great to use something so small and lightweight, especially with the 35mm F2.8 prime. The only problem is that most prime lenses and zooms, even when specifically  designed for mirrorless - with a closer distance between the flange coupling and the sensor - don't seem to be all that smaller... So the combination of camera body with lenses isn't as small as I hoped it would be. The camera body is so much smaller than a DSLR full frame though, so it's worth it just for that.

Some people have complained that the A7iii and similar cameras from Sony are too small to grip properly, but I haven't found it a problem.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Fair to say that the X-Pros 1,2 &  3 are quite unique with their optical viewfinders. I use the X-Pro1 with back-button focus and it's excellent, I'd rather have that than a Leica frankly, even if I could afford one, and who wants to walk around with £10,000 round their neck anyway.

• Like 2
35 minutes ago, David Pimborough said:

To be honest its rather nice not to have to carry around a couple of kilos of camera gear

On that particular day I had the 1DX and 70-200 2.8 in a rucksack, only took it out once all day, so it wasn't really worth it

I also like reviewing the pictures through the viewfinder. The downside is that to passers-by I seem to be photographing the pavement, or possibly my feet. They stop, respectfully, and probably sympathetically, until I'm finished.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I don't  spend thousands on the latest and greatest mirrorless cameras, always opting for SH, but I'll probably end up buying the Canon RP as a second cam with a longer lens attached hopefully for the summer season just so I don't have to change lens all the time.

My Canon 5D2 sits unused most of the time as I much prefer my lightweight Sony a6500. The EVF is superb and is far, far better than an optical finder for manual focus, which is what I generally do. The only drawback that I have encountered is the lack of really good quality but affordable  glass for this format - I suspect that Sony have hit a money spinner with their FF mirrorless and the smaller RX series, and appear to have abandoned (probably too strong a word)  the intermediate sensor format. 

However there are plenty of old film era primes that perform extremely well with this camera, far better than the 3 different Sony zooms that I have tried. The problem comes when you need to go wide, when you do need to buy modern. Of course this type of photography is not for everyone, perhaps only for eccentrics such as myself who enjoy having full manual control, and, as I don't do news, rarely need the speed and convenience of an auto focus zoom.

Edited by Bryan

My Fuji X-T2 can be quite light, it can also be a bit portly.

Fuji X-T2, Grip, two batteries, Xf 16-55m f2.8 and Godox V860 flash is   2.146kg

Fuji X-T2, one battery and XF 23mm f2.0 is 0.63kg

Just depends on what I want to do.

Stay safe.

• Upvote 2

Cameras—all cameras—are just tools for taking pictures. What job you have to do tells you what tool is best. The last DSLR I owned was the Nikon D700. Much too heavy for a senior like me. I now shoot only editorial stock for Alamy and I use small mirrorless Sonys. I have a 5-star rating with QC. Most of the time, I use my RX100-V and RX100-6. I also have an RX10 and an a6000. If I were still shooting assignments that involve a client or a subject I had to impress, I would be using a DSLR (for the look - PR), but not one as heavy as the D700. 

Edited by Ed Rooney
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
3 hours ago, PAL Media said:

On that particular day I had the 1DX and 70-200 2.8 in a rucksack, only took it out once all day, so it wasn't really worth it

I recall the Cambridge lunch where I saw this guy walking around the pub looking a bit lost with a camera and big cream-coloured Canon zoom. I thought this must be Paul and lo and behold - it was. Saved you a minute or two wandering around looking for the rest of us.  Sometimes it can be good to stand out as a photographer. 😀

• Haha 2
11 minutes ago, Harry Harrison said:

Didn't he use a Mamiya C330?

I don't know.

I know that a Leica rangefinder was his very much preferred choice. Usually with a 50mm on the front (with only occasionally a wider lens).

Maybe he used larger cameras for some commercial assignments ?

By the way, a good friend of mine managed to get HCB's autograph (sort of), before he passed away. It was signed as 'guess who ?' !

2 minutes ago, AlbertSnapper said:

I don't know.

Sorry, it was my pathetic attempt at humour. Yes, Leicas all the way through from 1932, some very nice ones at that. The same 50mm collapsible Summicron as well I think, at least from the fifties.

10 minutes ago, MDM said:

I recall the Cambridge lunch where I saw this guy walking around the pub looking a bit lost with a camera and big cream-coloured Canon zoom. I thought this must be Paul and lo and behold - it was. Saved you a minute or two wandering around looking for the rest of us.  Sometimes it can be good to stand out as a photographer. 😀

Haha that was sooo long ago now 😂

Just now, PAL Media said:

Haha that was sooo long ago now 😂

Yes. We will all have to do it again one of these years. 😀

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, MDM said:

I remember that too.

Allan

4 minutes ago, MDM said:

Yes. We will all have to do it again one of these years. 😀

Let me know and I will be there too. That is if you still want me there.

Allan

Of course. We are the originals. Perhaps we might think about an outdoor meeting at some point in the summer if that is permitted by then. 

• Like 2

I bought a used Sony NEX-3 eight years ago to take on a trip, intending to use it as a backup for my Sony DSLR. As it turned out, I never took the DSLR out of the camera bag. The NEX-3 has paid for itself many times over. I then graduated to the NEX-6, and I now use the Sony a6000, which I'd say is the best camera I've ever owned and a real bargain. There are things I miss about DSLRs -- like their nice, big grips -- but I wouldn't go back to them.

• Like 3
On 09/02/2021 at 10:55, Ed Rooney said:

Cameras—all cameras—are just tools for taking pictures. What job you have to do tells you what tool is best. The last DSLR I owned was the Nikon D700. Much too heavy for a senior like me. I now shoot only editorial stock for Alamy and I use small mirrorless Sonys. I have a 5-star rating with QC. Most of the time, I use my RX100-V and RX100-6. I also have an RX10 and an a6000. If I were still shooting assignments that involve a client or a subject I had to impress, I would be using a DSLR (for the look - PR), but not one as heavy as the D700. 

Ahh, yes. My D200 and 80-400 on a monopod did impress. So much so I was accused of being a newspaper person shooting forbidden photos. I like the small mirrorless cameras. I get ignored, pretty much.

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

Ahh, yes. My D200 and 80-400 on a monopod did impress. So much so I was accused of being a newspaper person shooting forbidden photos. I like the small mirrorless cameras. I get ignored, pretty much.

One of my favourite how-to books on photography is entitled "Chameleon with a Camera."

Perhaps it's time for an updated version -- "Chameleon with a Mirrorless Camera." 😎