My Dasboard Does Not Show That My Photos are For Sale

Mark Wise

Question

Dear Friends,

I'm new and I think I’m not doing something right. None of my images that have passed QC are listed as ‘For Sale.’ I’ve read the instructions and I thought I had done everything correctly. I have some images that are still going through QC, but I’m not referring to them.

Please advise…thank you!

Mark Wise

Thanks to everyone. Something is STILL not right and I find the video very dull and vague. All of my photos have passed QC and I've checked off all the categories and put tags, etc. But when I get to the last category, Discoverablity, I check 'All  for sale,' and everything goes away. I'm sure I'm almost there but something small is wrong. Thank you!

Have you filled in Caption? Sometimes it's easy to miss.

If you're missing something, there will be a red bar underneath the image.

Edited by gvallee
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Mark Wise said:

Thanks to everyone. Something is STILL not right and I find the video very dull and vague. All of my photos have passed QC and I've checked off all the categories and put tags, etc. But when I get to the last category, Discoverablity, I check 'All  for sale,' and everything goes away. I'm sure I'm almost there but something small is wrong. Thank you!

That filters what displays in Alamy Image Manager.  You don't check that one until you have some images showing to sort.  It's not to mark things for sale for the server.

Basically, make sure you have enough tags *keywords) and a caption to get the "on sale" orange bar.   Make sure you work mostly with one image at a time, save, and clear selection.  The server will update and then you can filter to see all on sale. 

Since your photos haven't been updated on the server, clicking under Discoverability for All on Sale will have them disappear as the server hasn't been updated yet.

17 hours ago, MizBrown said:

That filters what displays in Alamy Image Manager.  You don't check that one until you have some images showing to sort.  It's not to mark things for sale for the server.

Basically, make sure you have enough tags *keywords) and a caption to get the "on sale" orange bar.   Make sure you work mostly with one image at a time, save, and clear selection.  The server will update and then you can filter to see all on sale. 

Since your photos haven't been updated on the server, clicking under Discoverability for All on Sale will have them disappear as the server hasn't been updated yet.

51 minutes ago, Mark Wise said:

You don't have a blue number under your name and you first posted this yesterday, so possibly they're not for sale because they're lacking something.

So, open Image Manager for your photos and check to see that your photos have On sale under an orange bar on the lower right below each image.  If  not, you don't have enough tags or haven't filled in the captions.

Otherwise, wait for the server to update.   I tagged and captioned photos Monday afternoon and they're currently on sale. 

Edited by MizBrown
clarifying.

On 28/01/2021 at 10:11, MizBrown said:

You don't have a blue number under your name and you first posted this yesterday, so possibly they're not for sale because they're lacking something.

So, open Image Manager for your photos and check to see that your photos have On sale under an orange bar on the lower right below each image.  If  not, you don't have enough tags or haven't filled in the captions.

Otherwise, wait for the server to update.   I tagged and captioned photos Monday afternoon and they're currently on sale. 

Thank you, MizBrown!

I DO have orange bars on all my photos...I added at least 5 tags to each pic and I THINK this did the trick! Two other questions if you don't mind:

o How do I get rid of a caption (staring seagulls) that I'm told runs throughout all my photos (I can't see this and each pic has a proper caption...apparently I put it there by mistake as I was fumbling my way through this process, which I still am lol).

o My dashboard says that my photos are of poor discoverability...how can I fix this?

Forgive me...I find this site VERY confusing.

Mark Wise

5 minutes ago, Mark Wise said:

Thank you, MizBrown!

I DO have orange bars on all my photos...I added at least 5 tags to each pic and I THINK this did the trick! Two other questions if you don't mind:

o How do I get rid of a caption (staring seagulls) that I'm told runs throughout all my photos (I can't see this and each pic has a proper caption...apparently I put it there by mistake as I was fumbling my way through this process, which I still am lol).

o My dashboard says that my photos are of poor discoverability...how can I fix this?

Forgive me...I find this site VERY confusing.

Mark Wise

Change the caption.   It will change when the server updates (24 to 48 hours)

Don't worry about poor discoverability.  Add relevant captions for things visible in the photograph.  Plants and critters should have the common and scientific names (if you have those).   Ten super tags is a good idea, but the tags should be relevant. 

• Love 2

32 minutes ago, MizBrown said:

Change the caption.   It will change when the server updates (24 to 48 hours)

Don't worry about poor discoverability.  Add relevant captions for things visible in the photograph.  Plants and critters should have the common and scientific names (if you have those).   Ten super tags is a good idea, but the tags should be relevant. 

Lol...I am satisfied with the tags and captions, but Alamy says that the same caption (staring seagulls) is associated with all the photos. I don't see this caption they're referring to. Do you know where I could find it if it's not on the photos themselves? Sorry for all these questions...again, I find this site VERY confusing!

Mark

11 minutes ago, Mark Wise said:

Lol...I am satisfied with the tags and captions, but Alamy says that the same caption (staring seagulls) is associated with all the photos. I don't see this caption they're referring to. Do you know where I could find it if it's not on the photos themselves? Sorry for all these questions...again, I find this site VERY confusing!

Mark

based on what we are seeing, it appears your images have now been recognised as sell-able by the server sweep (images:26  in your forum post ID), from recent experience they should be visible in searches within 12-24 hours, though the server has been finicky recently  

Edited by meanderingemu
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Mark Wise said:

I don't see this caption they're referring to. Do you know where I could find it if it's not on the photos themselves? Sorry for all these questions...again, I find this site VERY confusing!

Are you opening the Alamy Image Manager on a computer, a tablet, or a phone?    On a computer or tablet set in horizontal mode, the caption will be the second field below Pseudonym in the right hand column.  Highlight a photo (click on it or tap on it) and the caption will be visible.  A phone may cut some of this off. 

So far, your images haven't been updated on the servers. 

1 minute ago, meanderingemu said:

actually based on the Blue number it appears 26 have, but now OP is stuck with the Alamy unresolved issue we all got of image updated not being offered for sale.  

I clicked on the blue number in both my computer and my iPad, but couldn't see any of this photos. 

11 minutes ago, MizBrown said:

I clicked on the blue number in both my computer and my iPad, but couldn't see any of this photos. 

correct, blue number means the server has processed the images which is good news for OP- the images are fine to be offered for sale, but we now have to unresolved bug, which Alamy still has not figured out, of delays for the image to be available to outsider- which is not something OP controls.

Edited by meanderingemu

4 hours ago, meanderingemu said:

based on what we are seeing, it appears your images have now been recognised as sell-able by the server sweep (images:26  in your forum post ID), from recent experience they should be visible in searches within 12-24 hours, though the server has been finicky recently  

Thank you!

5 hours ago, Mark Wise said:

Thank you!

They are visible now.  Captions are still a bit problematic as are some of the tags.   Tags should be of what is in the photograph.  With birds and other animals, a lot of searches will be by scientific name.  Did you do captions in Lightroom or in Alamy Image Manager.   I've done captions and tags/keywords both ways, in Lightroom, but mostly in Alamy Image Manager. 

Your photos are good.  For your osprey: osprey, Pandion haliaetus, Western Osprey, osprey flying, osprey hovering. sea hawk, osprey flying against blue sky.   For a caption: Osprey hovers in a blue sky while looking at the camera.  Wikipedia is very useful for find out scientific names.   Your hawk wearing jesses is a Harris Hawk.  Caption should say what the subject is doing.   "Harris hawk (Parabuteo unicinctus), a common falconer's hawk, flies <whatever it was doing next>.  Hawk is wearing jesses on its legs."

Don't just throw tags in to get to five.  The only way anyone can find your photos is through the tags and the caption (which is also searchable). 

If you've fixed all these in the Image Manager but it just hasn't updated your revisions yet (up to 48 hours), then nevah mind.

Edited by MizBrown
  • Love 1

I don't get it. When you hover over your images, most say (incorrectly) 'Osprey' or 'Seagull'. However, if I click on them, they all have the 'Fall Foliage on Lake' caption. How is it possible?? Even if you've corrected those and the database has not updated yet, what it shows should be consistent. 

The first image (the osprey) has keywords: osprey, heron, pelican. Before uploading more images, I would recommend that you pause and read Alamy's instructions on how to tag/caption and how to use AIM. Right now your portfolio is a complete mess. Sorry.

39 minutes ago, gvallee said:

I don't get it. When you hover over your images, most say (incorrectly) 'Osprey' or 'Seagull'. However, if I click on them, they all have the 'Fall Foliage on Lake' caption. How is it possible?? Even if you've corrected those and the database has not updated yet, what it shows should be consistent. 

The first image (the osprey) has keywords: osprey, heron, pelican. Before uploading more images, I would recommend that you pause and read Alamy's instructions on how to tag/caption and how to use AIM. Right now your portfolio is a complete mess. Sorry.

I kinda wondered if he filled out "title" and "caption" in Lightroom Classic in the metadata section.  I've never seen this sort of thing in AIM before.  Filling out the caption field isn't a problem.  Filling out the title field -- dunno what AIM would make of that. 

• Love 1

5 minutes ago, MizBrown said:

I kinda wondered if he filled out "title" and "caption" in Lightroom Classic in the metadata section.  I've never seen this sort of thing in AIM before.  Filling out the caption field isn't a problem.  Filling out the title field -- dunno what AIM would make of that. 

That's what I wondered too. 

2 hours ago, MizBrown said:

I suspect Alamy would automatically remove entries from all non relevant IPTC fields as it does with camera data before being ready for sale.

It is sooo hard to help someone in this situation where we can't see what you are doing. At least you have caption and keywords showing at this point so my suggestion is that you go into the Image Manager and select ONE image and then look only in the panel on the right. It should be clear now where the caption is. Change it to the actual description of that one image. Add more very specific tags. Click on SAVE. Then deselect that image. This is important because if you don't you will carry your work to the next image. Go one by one through the images. Hope this helps.

Paulette

• Like 1