Flower/Butterfly/Moth ID help please

Joe

Question

I was running in the mountains here on Gran Canaria a few days ago (always take the Sony RX100111) when I spotted this

Butterfly? Moth? on this flower. Can anyone help with flower and Butterfly...? identification?

Thanks

Joe

2E3C7AR.jpg

15 answers to this question

Nick, identifying the moth will take a lot of elbow grease on your part. I Googled “Gran Canaria moths” and was overwhelmed with images.
I have, in the past, spent a couple of hours searching for the ID of a butterfly or moth. Sometimes successful, sometimes not.

There have been times I never uploaded a nice image because I couldn’t identify the parts of it. Decide whether this image is important enough for you to spend that kind of time on it if the forum members can’t help.

For all the images I have similar to yours, I don’t believe I’ve ever had one of them zoomed, let alone sold. My advice is to kick this one in the street if the ID looks to become difficult.

Why I keep taking these kinds of images, I have no idea. I think when I strap my macro lens on, my brain quits working. 😊

Thanks, help much appreciated. 

13 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

...For all the images I have similar to yours, I don’t believe I’ve ever had one of them zoomed, let alone sold. My advice is to kick this one in the street if the ID looks to become difficult.

Why I keep taking these kinds of images, I have no idea. I think when I strap my macro lens on, my brain quits working. 😊

I know what you mean, Betty. Heart ruling the head. 

Joe

1 hour ago, Joe said:

Joe

Yes it does! I love nature of all kinds. If it’s there, I have to shoot it without considering sales potential. If I can ID it, I upload it. Who knows...maybe someday one of the rarer ones will sell for $$$$.

And I have a used spaceship for sale, too.😂
I do have a correction to what I said. I have had some of my hummingbird moths zoomed. But those are special moths.

Edited by Betty LaRue

1 hour ago, Joe said:

Joe

I’m sorry I replied to Nick when I meant to reply to you, Joe. I have a headache. That’s my excuse and I’m sticking to it. 😉

6 hours ago, Joe said:

I was running in the mountains here on Gran Canaria a few days ago (always take the Sony RX100111) when I spotted this

Butterfly? Moth? on this flower. Can anyone help with flower and Butterfly...? identification?

Have you tried the Seek app to identify the moth? I also recently learned about Google lens (on the Google app). Google lens ID'd some things that Seek couldn't. It can also do buildings and probably other things. I recommend going from the original photo without the Alamy watermark as that makes ID harder.

Edited by Lori Rider

The flower might be the one suggested but it looks more like argyranthemum to me. I might be wrong but there are several argyranthemum species in the Canaries, including a number of native species, so it is worth checking a bit further. Some are endemic to specific islands and they are often localised according to altitude as well as general climate. The leaves are very important in identifying the different species. Time of year for flowering can be helpful. By far the best online resource I have found is this one in Spanish. 

Edit. Actually looking again it probably is the one suggested  above but the link there is very useful for Canadian flowers. 

Edited by MDM

I was thinking it looked like some sort of skipper butterfly but then realized the body is all wrong, however this site might help https://www.inaturalist.org/projects/butterflies-of-gran-canaria-mariposas-diurnas-de-gran-canaria 

this link opens to all the photos https://www.inaturalist.org/observations?project_id=23441&ttl=120&v=1602429221000&place_id=any&verifiable=any&view=species and if it's not some sort of moth it may well be a Gran Canaria Grayling butterfly - no pix on the site with the wings spread but the bottom left image makes me think this might be worth investigating further: https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/102801-Hipparchia-tamadabae/browse_photos

22 hours ago, MDM said:

The flower might be the one suggested but it looks more like argyranthemum to me. I might be wrong but there are several argyranthemum species in the Canaries, including a number of native species, so it is worth checking a bit further. Some are endemic to specific islands and they are often localised according to altitude as well as general climate. The leaves are very important in identifying the different species. Time of year for flowering can be helpful. By far the best online resource I have found is this one in Spanish. 

Edit. Actually looking again it probably is the one suggested  above but the link there is very useful for Canadian flowers. 

10 hours ago, Marianne said:

I was thinking it looked like some sort of skipper butterfly but then realized the body is all wrong, however this site might help https://www.inaturalist.org/projects/butterflies-of-gran-canaria-mariposas-diurnas-de-gran-canaria 

this link opens to all the photos https://www.inaturalist.org/observations?project_id=23441&ttl=120&v=1602429221000&place_id=any&verifiable=any&view=species and if it's not some sort of moth it may well be a Gran Canaria Grayling butterfly - no pix on the site with the wings spread but the bottom left image makes me think this might be worth investigating further: https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/102801-Hipparchia-tamadabae/browse_photos

Thanks for the links, MDM and Marianne. Much appreciated.

Joe

Found the moth.  Spoladea recurvalis, beet webworm moth.  Worldwide distribution, mostly tropical.  7 images on Alamy. 

Hat tip to Marianne for that naturalist.org link.  A little further searching on butterflies and moths on the Canary islands showed a picture.

Edited by John Richmond
Additional info