LIGHTROOM CC Classic

Betty LaRue

Question

Once upon a time I could upload a folder of images to LR and they were a distinct upload, not hooked to anything else. After updates, that function wasn't happening. Now, what I upload is added to previous uploads.  

Yes, I click on "Add Photos".  I don't see any option to do anything else if I want to upload. I've clicked around in Preferences, and nowhere do a find a place to do anything else.

I hate having my images added to other uploads. I have a string of images that go on forever. What am I doing wrong, I can't figure it out.  I love updates, I hate updates.  I end up going from something I know how to work in to something that is confusing me.

Betty

That is not making any sense at all. For one thing you don't upload photos to Lightroom Classic, you import them into a catalog. I don't see any option to Add Photos, I just see Import Photos but maybe I am missing something as there are various ways to import photos into a Lightroom catalog. However, I am wondering if you have not inadvertently installed Lightroom CC (the cloud version) rather than LR Classic (I have not used the cloud version so don't know the first thing about it). 

If not then I recall a conversation or two some years ago when you described a rather unorthodox workflow involving importing images into LR, developing them, working on them in Photoshop and then deleting the original raw files from the catalog or something along those lines. Perhaps if you explain exactly what you are doing and what you normally do again then it might be possible to help. I don't think anything has changed in relation to importing images with any updates for years now.

For reference the normal way to use Lightroom is to import the images into a catalog and continue to add images to the same catalog unless there is a reason not to do so. Adding images to the same catalog is the default. But the really key point is that you are not adding the actual images - just a pointer to the images. 

Edited by MDM
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, MDM said:

That is not making any sense at all. For one thing you don't upload photos to Lightroom Classic, you import them into a catalog. I don't see any option to Add Photos, I just see Import Photos but maybe I am missing something as there are various ways to import photos into a Lightroom catalog. However, I am wondering if you have not inadvertently installed Lightroom CC (the cloud version) rather than LR Classic (I have not used the cloud version so don't know the first thing about it). 

If not then I recall a conversation or two some years ago when you described a rather unorthodox workflow involving importing images into LR, developing them, working on them in Photoshop and then deleting the original raw files from the catalog or something along those lines. Perhaps if you explain exactly what you are doing and what you normally do again then it might be possible to help. I don't think anything has changed in relation to importing images with any updates for years now.

For reference the normal way to use Lightroom is to import the images into a catalog and continue to add images to the same catalog unless there is a reason not to do so. Adding images to the same catalog is the default. But the really key point is that you are not adding the actual images - just a pointer to the images. 

Now I am wondering if I’m not using the right LR. Classic is what I want. 
yes, you’re right it’s Import, not upload. 
I just checked “about” and it says Adobe Lightroom, version 4. Somewhere along the line, I had multiple LR icons and was struggling to open the right one. I just checked updates and got LrC. How do I keep that icon in my dock and get rid of the other one? Never mind, right click. Done.

And yes, I’ve always imported into LR, made adjustments, opened into PS. Finish other things, especially connected with layers, save as 8 bit tiff. Then I tag them in Bridge and put a jpeg in my upload folder. I never delete my RAW files. They are in my folder system alongside the jpeg, and mirror saved to two desktop hard drives.

I realize it’s not your way, but it is my way. I like it, I’m comfortable with it, and I will continue. On that note, Michael, I thank you profoundly for suggesting I was using the wrong LR. I most certainly was. You’ve set me straight. I was using the wrong one for months. 
Just now when I opened LrC, it opened to images I took during the summer. That's how long I’ve been on the wrong LR. When I had multiple icons,I removed all but one and must’ve messed up there. I don’t ever remember the LrC icon looking like it does now.

Thanks again. I’m thrilled.

Betty

Good you got it sorted Betty. Don't worry. I am certainly not trying to persuade you to do anything different. Been there done that and not intending to ever go there again 😎.

I just couldn't figure what was happening from your description. I didn't realise you could even run an older perpetual licence version alongside the new subscription one. I learn something new everyday which is great. However, I would have thought you would have noticed the difference between LR 4 and the latest CC Develop Modules as this has changed so much over the years. That makes me wonder if there isn't something mixed up on your computer. 

Edited by MDM

As far as whether the computer is messed up, I wouldn’t know. Everything else works perfectly. I believe it was nothing more than user error, and that’s no surprise.

I might add, Michael, that I imported another folder to Classic, and it behaved the way I’m used to.
I have to add that the modules acted the same. I had the upright tool, and everything else I’ve been used to using. The new little color wheels (that I don’t know how to use). All of the latest improvements. The only thing I noticed that was different was “adding” not importing which frustrated me. It was “add images>navigate to folder>import.
I don’t have the answer but I don’t think it was a perpetual model.

Edited by Betty LaRue

Lightroom Classic can Copy as DNG, Copy, Move, or Add photos to a catalog.  I tend to use Lightroom Copy from a SD card and put photos in folders on my hard drive.  Betty, your way would be to move photo files to a folder manually (I think) and then Add them to LRC catalog.  Swings and round abouts.  My newest folders are arranged by years and months and were created inside LRC. 

Lightroom 4 wouldn't have opened your Fuji X-T2 RAW files, though perhaps they are converted to Tiffs by the time you bring them into Lightroom, or could it have somehow used the latest version of ACR that you will have on your computer? MizBrown is right, 'Copy as DNG', 'Copy', 'Move' & 'Add' are all different options for the Import process so you will have always used one or the other without realising it, 'Copy' probably. They are listed in grey along the top of the screen. I think Lightroom remembers the last one that you used so perhaps you inadvertently used 'Add' once, or maybe the update changed the default. 'Add' is for when the images are already in the place that you want them to remain.

Edited by Harry Harrison
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

save as 8 bit tiff.

May I ask why? You're throwing away a lot of data by doing that. I only ever use 16 bit TIFF as that stores as much data as possible for archiving.

Edited by Cal

I can sympathize with the icons, I had 4 for Photoshop and ended up using a previous year’s edition as it was in my dock, so I was wondering where all the new features were. I have now cleaned house and have the latest PS CC with all the new features. Personally I wish the PS desktop icon would always be the latest one automatically, I do understand we may wish to use an older standalone version if you cancel your subscription. I don’t find Adobe that intuitive to manage. Glad you are getting things sorted Betty.

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Normspics said:

I can sympathize with the icons, I had 4 for Photoshop and ended up using a previous year’s edition as it was in my dock, so I was wondering where all the new features were. I have now cleaned house and have the latest PS CC with all the new features. Personally I wish the PS desktop icon would always be the latest one automatically, I do understand we may wish to use an older standalone version if you cancel your subscription. I don’t find Adobe that intuitive to manage. Glad you are getting things sorted Betty.

The reason you are ending up with loads of icons is that you are keeping older versions of the apps (which I think is generally pointless as you can reinstall if you want). You can change this behaviour though. How you do this depends on whether you have auto updates on or not. However, Lightroom Classic does not allow you to keep older versions so this does not explain Betty's situation.  

Edited by MDM

I have just checked the version number of Lightroom CC in the Creative Cloud App and it is version 4 so I have no doubt that is what happened with Betty. She installed Lightroom CC (the cloud version) by accident and was using it unwittingly for several months. This would not happen with a normal workflow where one keeps images in an ongoing updating catalog. 

Edited by MDM

35 minutes ago, MDM said:

I have just checked the version number of Lightroom CC in the Creative Cloud App and it is version 4 so I have no doubt that is what happened with Betty. She installed Lightroom CC (the cloud version) by accident and was using it unwittingly for several months. This would not happen with a normal workflow where one keeps images in an ongoing updating catalog. 

Yes. User error, as I’ve admitted to! 😁

2 hours ago, Normspics said:

Personally I wish the PS desktop icon would always be the latest one automatically, I

• Agree wholeheartedly!
5 hours ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

hope you get it sorted Betty I feel your pain.  It wasn't so long ago and thanks to this forum it turned out I was using the wrong version of Bridge and Photoshop...

Thank you, Carol.

Cal, I do not save my tiffs. I save the 8 bit only long enough to do my tagging, then save as a jpeg and delete the tiff. I used to save them, and discovered I had absolutely no purpose for them other than for them to hog storage. On the rare time I have revisited an image, I go straight to the RAW file and rework there. And that is so rare to be negligible.

On that note, I looked at some DVDs (remember those?) the past couple of days to see if there was anything else I neglected to develop. I am shocked to see the difference in images from 2006, Nikon D300 compared to my Fuji kit. The images from Fuji are so much sharper and colorful. I found very few I would even consider by my “today” standard.

12 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

I am shocked to see the difference in images from 2006, Nikon D300 compared to my Fuji kit. The images from Fuji are so much sharper and colorful. I found very few I would even consider by my “today” standard.

That is interesting I had a D300 but was always slightly disappointed with the image quality, good to know about the Fuji quality, I have looked at Fuji for sometime but felt APS-C would be a disadvantage for noise.

1 hour ago, MDM said:

The reason you are ending up with loads of icons is that you are keeping older versions of the apps (which I think is generally pointless as you can reinstall if you want). You can change this behaviour though. How you do this depends on whether you have auto updates on or not.

Yes I do auto updates but never knowingly chose to keep older versions, I felt like with other software programs the base program was “updated” not replaced. I do want to hold onto a desktop version of LR and PS because I sometimes feel paying the monthly fee a bit much, especially as royalties have been steadily declining. Thanks for you perspective.

9 minutes ago, Normspics said:

That is interesting I had a D300 but was always slightly disappointed with the image quality, good to know about the Fuji quality, I have looked at Fuji for sometime but felt APS-C would be a disadvantage for noise.

The noise is something you would most likely know about better than I.  The only FF I ever had was Nikon D800 and I didn’t care for it for many reasons. I can’t remember how it handled noise. I think better than Fuji in lower light, higher ISO conditions or that would have stuck out to me.

That said, that was some years ago and nothing to do with the camera offerings of today.

I think I made a mistake about the D300. I just checked, and it was announced August of 2007. The trip I took, the images I looked at yesterday, were from Sept-Oct of 2006. So it must’ve been my D200. I should have paid attention to the metadata yesterday.  I’m sure I bought the D300 as soon as it started shipping, and used it for several more trips.

Edited by Betty LaRue

19 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

Yes. User error, as I’ve admitted to! 😁

• On that note, I looked at some DVDs (remember those?) the past couple of days to see if there was anything else I neglected to develop. I am shocked to see the difference in images from 2006, Nikon D300 compared to my Fuji kit. The images from Fuji are so much sharper and colorful. I found very few I would even consider by my “today” standard.

Yes but it wasn't clear what the error was. Now it is. You were using the cloud version. 

You were using the D300 in 2006 before it was released in Aug 2007 😀? The differences in your images cannot be solely attributed to the camera really. Better camera technique and/or better post processing (including major advances in Adobe raw converters) may also be significant. 

8 minutes ago, Normspics said:

Yes I do auto updates but never knowingly chose to keep older versions, I felt like with other software programs the base program was “updated” not replaced. I do want to hold onto a desktop version of LR and PS because I sometimes feel paying the monthly fee a bit much, especially as royalties have been steadily declining. Thanks for you perspective.

It is nothing to do with the perpetual licence versions. If you go into Creative Cloud preferences with auto updates on, you will get an option to keep older versions of PS and Bridge (recent CC versions). You most likely have this set to on. 

Edited by MDM

6 minutes ago, MDM said:

Yes but it wasn't clear what the error was. Now it is. You were using the cloud version. 

You were using the D300 in 2006 before it was released in Aug 2007 😀? The differences in your images cannot be solely attributed to the camera really. Better camera technique and/or better post processing (including major advances in Adobe raw converters) may also be significant. 

I just caught my mistake before reading this, Michael. 😝 So there. I already corrected it to D200.

As far as processing goes, I processed a few yesterday and new processing advantages only helped minimally. As far as technique goes, who knows. I did focus on that even back then. I actually got nicer images from my D60 than the 200 or 300, except for noise. When I regularly got great images from the D60 of tiny damselflies, I think my technique was decent.

Edited by Betty LaRue

35 minutes ago, MDM said:

It is nothing to do with the perpetual licence versions. If you go into Creative Cloud preferences with auto updates on, you will get an option to keep older versions of PS and Bridge (recent CC versions). You most likely have this set to on. 

Thank you, I’ll take a look.

On 19/01/2021 at 10:27, Cal said:

May I ask why? You're throwing away a lot of data by doing that. I only ever use 16 bit TIFF as that stores as much data as possible for archiving.

Forgetting about why Betty discards her TIFF files and the 16-bit question which is another story again, I have to wonder why any Photoshop users use TIFF rather than PSD. The only reason I can think of for using TIFF is if you were going to stop using Photoshop or were thinking about archival compatibility way down the line (in which case JPEG is probably fine for most purposes). PSD is a much more efficient working file format in Photoshop, especially if using layers - not just when working on the files but also saving and the PSDs are a little smaller than the uncompressed TIFFs.

Edited by MDM

Because I can. Because it has served me well. That said, if you did a poll, you’d find a lot more of us who are successfully developing our images who don’t do it like you do. That doesn’t necessarily make us wrong. My images sell. Isn’t that the point?

• Like 1

Good on ya Betty. I assume you are talking to me. I was not trying to tell you how to work as I clearly stated up there but in order to answer your question I had to understand what you were doing as I don't go around with your workflow in my head thankfully. I doubt there are too many people who use Lightroom as a developer only and delete the images from the catalog. However, I don't think you would have been using the wrong program since summer time if you had been doing it in the orthodox way (using an ongoing catalog that is). Anyway I am glad I helped you to sort it out and I will think three or four times instead of twice about answering any more of your questions. Best of luck.

• Love 1

On 19/01/2021 at 16:27, Betty LaRue said:

save as a jpeg and delete the tiff.

Doesn't that mean that you would have to redo your PS work if you wanted to revisit an image? When you save a TIFF exported from LR, it keeps its layers and appears next to the RAW in the LR filmstrip.

Edited by spacecadet

2 hours ago, MDM said:

I doubt there are too many people who use Lightroom as a developer only and delete the images from the catalog. 

Maybe there's just two of us (Me and Betty)? 🙂

Although I only use LR when I'm batch processing. It's PS ACR normally. I still can't get on with LR's catalogue because it fails to automatically capture changes I make to image filenames and folders in any other app. I'm afraid I'm just not disciplined enough to do everything in LR because I find some operations so much easier using other apps.

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman
  • Like 1