The sales have stopped abruptly

Mauro C

Question

Hello everybody!

I've been on Alamy since March 2018 and I have made 6-7 decent sales a year in the first two years, so these were my expectations about the potential of my portfolio. The problem is that this year my latest sale dates back to the beginning of April and then I've not seen a single sale in more than 7 months! The numbers of zooms hasn't changed significantly over the last year (just a very slight decrease). So I'm beginning to think that there might be some kind of issue, because this complete lack of sales over so long a period seems too strange to me. What do you suggest? Thank you in advance!

https://www.alamy.com/portfolio/115468.html

• Like 1

1 hour ago, meanderingemu said:

maybe your field of images has been affected by the on going pandemic.   

i have noted a shift in my sales away from some subjects

I hadn't focussed on this as a possible reason. You might have a point.

Edited by Mauro C

You seem to have a lot of images that fit into the "travel" category, Mauro, and people aren't travelling during the pandemic. That might be part of the problem.

I'm finding that it's mainly my older, repeat-sellers that are keeping me afloat during the pandemic, but no doubt everyone's situation is different. 

• Thanks 1

Don’t feel bad. I have a larger port than you and I licensed nothing in September, 3 in October, and nothing yet this month. Before the pandemic, I was licensing a steady 5-7 images a month.

It is what it is, and I just keep plodding along and refuse to stress over it. Why? Pulling my hair will only make me bald, but have no influence on licenses.
If a license drops in during these last few days of November, I’ll be pleasantly surprised.

My zooms have taken a nosedive since Covid, also. I’m showing 9 at the moment, when the usual is 20-25.

Publications are probably hanging on by their fingernails while dangling over a cliff.
Betty

• Thanks 1

Mi dispiace, Mauro.

I suggest you look through some other Alamy ports and take notice of the variety of stock subjects. I snap a lot of signs. They're easy to do and they sell. I have 11 sales this month. (No, not all signs.)

Edited by Ed Rooney
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

Mi dispiace, Mauro.

I suggest you look through some other Alamy ports and take notice of the variety of stock subjects. I snap a lot of signs. They're easy to do and they sell. I have 11 sales this month. (No, not all signs.)

curious, are your signs UK specific sales wise, or across the world? 

4 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Both, jean-françois. if I see a sign that looks graphically interesting, I'll snap it. if it (or any subject) suggests a caption, I consider it stock. 

thanks.  i'm never sure if it's worth doing since i usually am in places where it's in other languages (or bilingual currently).  I did license a couple in last few months.  

5 hours ago, meanderingemu said:

thanks.  i'm never sure if it's worth doing since i usually am in places where it's in other languages (or bilingual currently).  I did license a couple in last few months.  

Signs are definitely worth photographing IME, especially if they are attached to well known places or have some special quality or look. Signs aren't the most exciting subjects. However, they are easy to access, plus they don't try to run away when you point your camera at them. Have to say that I haven't had a lot of luck with bilingual French/English signs. I guess it's a niche market.

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Like 1

On 23/11/2020 at 23:55, Mauro C said:

Hello everybody!

I've been on Alamy since March 2018 and I have made 6-7 decent sales a year in the first two years, so these were my expectations about the potential of my portfolio. The problem is that this year my latest sale dates back to the beginning of April and then I've not seen a single sale in more than 7 months! The numbers of zooms hasn't changed significantly over the last year (just a very slight decrease). So I'm beginning to think that there might be some kind of issue, because this complete lack of sales over so long a period seems too strange to me. What do you suggest? Thank you in advance!

https://www.alamy.com/portfolio/115468.html

Hi Mauro,

I'm sorry you've seen such a downturn in sales. Your portfolio is very travel oriented so I suspect that's why. I agree with what Ed says, you should look at widening the subject matter that you shoot. I haven't seen much of a decline in sales at all this year, I actually have more sales than last year (which I'd expect because I've been uploading, although the Alamy library is growing too so I feel I'm just staying in the same place a bit).

I can see that you have some concept shots:

'A blue cable and a yellow one connected to a multiple socket over a white wood background, with the energy symbol on the socket - Image ID: 2AC3ETN'

A blue cable and a yellow one connected to a multiple socket over a white wood background, with the energy symbol on the socket Stock Photo

This looks a bit weird to me, the socket is floating and I actually thought these were internet LAN cables until I read the caption. It doesn't look very natural, it looks quite 'staged' to me. I think the trend these days is for more natural looking concept shots.

As a comparison, I sold this picture in September:

'A concept shot of someone holding a British 3 pin plug which is incompatible with European type sockets. Britain. EU. Brexit.  - Image ID: J4J2CJ'

Also staged obviously, but I've got a concept and it looks more natural.

A concept shot of someone holding a British 3 pin plug which is incompatible with European type sockets. Britain. Stock Photo

I do like your flag shots, they look great:

Flag of Canada composed by placing a smartphone displaying its symbol on a colored wooden background Stock Photo

But I've never seen something like this published anywhere (although I haven't seen lots of pictures, so they could be out there! maybe you'll start a trend....)

You've got a lot of shots of building facades like this:

TRIESTE, Italy - June 16, 2019: Exterior facade of an elegant historic building in venetian style - Stock Image

You might be going for this look deliberately, but it just looks like the building is leaning backwards because of the really strong converging verticals. This is an easy fix in photo software - the majority of travel shots I see published don't have any perspective problems with buildings. The only time I do see published pictures with buildings 'leaning back' is for really tall buildings where the effect is deliberate.

You've got a lot of shots of hoovering, but no one's in the picture. You don't need to include the head of the person doing the hoovering, but try some shots with a hand, arm or some of someone's body in. Pictures with people in doing something sell better.

'Rosary with brown colored grains lying on a book on a white wooden table - Image ID: 2AB0159'

Rosary with brown colored grains lying on a book on a white wooden table - Stock Image

A nice image, but you're trying to show a concept here. I know it's a cliche, but I would expect the book to be a bible and also to see the word bible somewhere on the front cover.

You've got some really nice photos. Have a look at other portfolios as Ed says, but in particular, have a look at what gets published. You need to be a bit more commercial if you want more sales. I hope this provides some ideas.

Steve

p.s. should be rosary 'beads'

Edited by Steve F
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 1

As you know, J-F, I'm a Yank now living in the UK, so most of my sign captures are in English. But on my recent 2-year adventure, I've been in Mexico, Montreal, Lisbon, Seville, Galway, and now Liverpool. I do no planning for my sign capture; I take what I find. 

Edited by Ed Rooney

4 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

As you know, J-F, I'm a Yank now living in the UK, so most of my sign captures are in English. But on my recent 2-year adventure, I've been in Mexico, Montreal, Lisbon, Seville, Galway, and now Liverpool. I do no planning for my sign capture; I take what I find. 

i know your travel, so knew you had chance of signs in español, français,  Português, Gaeilge....  and wondered if any of those sold, as i have yet to have one, whereas the English ones yes.

On 25/11/2020 at 18:33, Betty LaRue said:

Don’t feel bad.

I never did. It only looked strange to me that my sales suddenly stopped. Thank you for sharing the performance of your portfolio on Alamy; it's always very useful to know.

22 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Mi dispiace, Mauro.

Thank you Ed. I like signs too and I'll follow your advice!

9 hours ago, Steve F said:

Hi Mauro,

I'm sorry you've seen such a downturn in sales.... [...]

Thank you so much Steve for taking your time to review my portfolio and for your precious advice too! It had never happened before in such a thorough way and I feel honored.

Yes, when my main job leaves me some free time to make "studio" shootings, I try to experiment as much as I can.

As regards vacuum cleaners, those with the persian carpet are selling well, even without having people in them (on other agencies, not here). But you are totally right about including at least some body parts.

What totally puzzled me was your comment about the building shot from its base: it is obviously deliberate and I've never seen such kind of shots as "leaning back". I cannot think of another way of photographing a tall building from a relatively narrow street. I always correct buildings' vertical lines when it is possible, but when the convergence is so pronounced you necessarily have to take another kind of approach. Or at least so it seems to me.

Thank you again!

On 25/11/2020 at 11:17, GeoffK said:

This is the reality of providing images for articles on Italian locations.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/654523/number-of-monthly-arrivals-short-stay-accommodation-in-italy/

Unfortunately normal spring/summer peak of articles coincides with that terrible graph. Sadly it's a case of wait and see but don't give up and stay safe.

Thank you Geoff. I couldn't be more distant from any thought of giving up!

1 hour ago, Mauro C said:

Thank you so much Steve for taking your time to review my portfolio and for your precious advice too! It had never happened before in such a thorough way and I feel honored.

Yes, when my main job leaves me some free time to make "studio" shootings, I try to experiment as much as I can.

As regards vacuum cleaners, those with the persian carpet are selling well, even without having people in them (on other agencies, not here). But you are totally right about including at least some body parts.

What totally puzzled me was your comment about the building shot from its base: it is obviously deliberate and I've never seen such kind of shots as "leaning back". I cannot think of another way of photographing a tall building from a relatively narrow street. I always correct buildings' vertical lines when it is possible, but when the convergence is so pronounced you necessarily have to take another kind of approach. Or at least so it seems to me.

Thank you again!

Honoured... Hah, I don't know it's all that expert, but thanks 🙂

Good the rug shots are selling. Try some shots with and without people in.

Buildings. Ah ok, it did occur to me that you might have been forced to do shots like this because of narrow streets. It's just that you have a lot of them! OK, you can't do anything about this.

But there are some that look like they could have been corrected:

Piazza Maggiore, the main square of the historic district of Feltre, Italy, with San Rocco church in the background - Stock Image

Rettori Palace in Belluno, in Duomo square - Stock Image

VENICE, Italy - January 12, 2019: Front view of the church of Santa Maria dei Carmini in the Dorsoduro sestiere - Stock Image

No problem.
Steve

Edited by Steve F
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BuddyL said:

Question for Ed...I notice you have lots of signs of well known shops/brands etc, how do you get past the copyright issue? Do you mark images as editorial?

Cheers

I do not click 'editorial only' but I do click that I have no property release. The covers me. I shoot only common access editorial subjects.   

• Love 1