Search Terms And Missing Alamy Views?

Martin L

Question

Something strange seems to be going on but maybe its just me and somebody can help

In my 'Your Images' under 'Alamy Measures' there is an entry for the term  'steam ship' that somebody searched for.

When I click on that it only brings up one of my images.

I have about 5-6 images of steamships.

So I thought maybe I had messed up with the keywords and missed putting that term in the tags so I want through double checking.

The one that shows in the results has 'steam ship' in the caption, the rest that didn't show have (the correct) 'steamship' in the caption but do have 'steam' and 'ship' in the tags.

I know Mr Chapman did an extensive test on what has priority out of captions, super tags and tags but I was surprised that only the one, with the correct term in the caption, showed up in the results.

I would have expected the others to have appeared in the results on Alamy Measures  even though in reality they may have been on page 150 of the search because they had the search term in the tags only.

Why only one? Am I missing something?

Thanks

13 answers to this question

Surely if the viewer/searcher had given up and gone home before reaching page 150 (or wherever the other images were lurking) it wouldn’t show up in measures. I’ve always assumed that they would only show if the page the image was on happened to be visited (ie if one came in on page one and the next was on page 12 but the client only continued looking as far as 11 only the first would appear in measures) :)

• Love 1

6 minutes ago, Bionic said:

Surely if the viewer/searcher had given up and gone home before reaching page 150 (or wherever the other images were lurking) it wouldn’t show up in measures. I’ve always assumed that they would only show if the page the image was on happened to be visited (ie if one came in on page one and the next was on page 12 but the client only continued looking as far as 11 only the first would appear in measures) :)

I guess the clue was in the word 'Views'.

I really should have taken it literally.

I didn't think it was that clever and was just the results of a search. Duh!

Thanks

2 hours ago, Martin L said:

I guess the clue was in the word 'Views'.

I really should have taken it literally.

I didn't think it was that clever and was just the results of a search. Duh!

Thanks

People have warned about too many similar photos since the one that the viewer sees might not be your best one.   The algorithm Alamy uses apparently keeps one person from being all the images on a page in cases where many photographers have many images submitted.   For some keywords combinations, it's not likely to matter if you have unique photos or most of not many found by a specific search term.

1 hour ago, MizBrown said:

People have warned about too many similar photos since the one that the viewer sees might not be your best one.   The algorithm Alamy uses apparently keeps one person from being all the images on a page in cases where many photographers have many images submitted.   For some keywords combinations, it's not likely to matter if you have unique photos or most of not many found by a specific search term.

You weren’t here when you could do a search and get a whole page of basically the same photo with maybe minute differences. It was horrible. 30-50 similars, but none of them different in the way of landscape, portrait, close up and far. You had to study some on the page to even find a difference. I got bored so quick and wouldn’t look any more. I can only imagine if I were a buyer seeing that dross. So I applaud the change, even if it hurts those of us with no more than 3-5.  I have, for instance, done a piece of cake:

closeup horizontal, closeup vertical, both orientations more distant with copy space, and some of those with a fork, some not.
maybe four or five in all. It would be nice if they were on the same page so a buyer could find their preferred image, but having them scattered is worth it to not run into a page of what I described. I had five of these and eventually deleted two.

None have been zoomed or licensed! :D But now I’m hungry.

HT1R6F.jpg

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Love 1
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

have, for instance, done a piece of cake:

closeup horizontal, closeup vertical, both orientations more distant with copy space, and some of those with a fork, some not.

If buyers zoom on a photo, they will see the other examples by that photographer.   At least, that's the way image searching work for us when we do searches.

10 hours ago, MizBrown said:

If buyers zoom on a photo, they will see the other examples by that photographer.   At least, that's the way image searching work for us when we do searches.

I was going to add that when you do a mouseover on thumbnails you see a sign that is like a stack of papers and when you hover over it you see the other photos by that photographer. Most recent images don't seem to have that feature. Is it gone??? I hope not. Check it out. Maybe we need to complain.

Paulette

• Love 1

41 minutes ago, NYCat said:

was going to add that when you do a mouseover on thumbnails you see a sign that is like a stack of papers and when you hover over it you see the other photos by that photographer.

I hadn't noticed that before, I'd say complain/report as I can't see why it wouldn't be just as relevant or useful for 'New' images.

3 hours ago, Martin L said:

Just to clarify that these were not similars as in the example above e.g:

The keyword for the search was the same.  The program algorithms aren't likely to do image analysis but will separate your photos with the same keyword from each other.

• Like 1

The Alamy search engine does seem to be completely dis-functional.  My experience shows that the 'Blue Star' tags carry no weight whatsoever.  Yesterday there was a search "blue mosque istanbul interior" and in the 200 viewed there were 2 of my exterior images shown which didn't include the 'interior' word in the tag list however my interior image with the full Blue Star tag 'blue mosque istanbul interior' didn't show.  I always have the same problem with the simple search term  "Flower" or "Flowers", 2 of my images always appear in these searches even though they don't have Blue Star tags of those words, however I have loads of images with the 'Flower' and 'Flowers' Blue Star tags and they rarely get show.   Same with "Cruise Ship" searches, my oldest picture of a cruise ship always shows but loads of great shots of cruise ships in great locations never get an airing.  Alamy spend much time and effort persuading us to send in images but it would be more encouraging if we knew the search system worked properly.

21 minutes ago, Roy Conchie said:

The Alamy search engine does seem to be completely dis-functional.  My experience shows that the 'Blue Star' tags carry no weight whatsoever.  Yesterday there was a search "blue mosque istanbul interior" and in the 200 viewed there were 2 of my exterior images shown which didn't include the 'interior' word in the tag list however my interior image with the full Blue Star tag 'blue mosque istanbul interior' didn't show.  I always have the same problem with the simple search term  "Flower" or "Flowers", 2 of my images always appear in these searches even though they don't have Blue Star tags of those words, however I have loads of images with the 'Flower' and 'Flowers' Blue Star tags and they rarely get show.   Same with "Cruise Ship" searches, my oldest picture of a cruise ship always shows but loads of great shots of cruise ships in great locations never get an airing.  Alamy spend much time and effort persuading us to send in images but it would be more encouraging if we knew the search system worked properly.

One has to remember that customers put in qualifiers sometimes on an image search that we don't see. They may have just wanted landscape images, or just porrtait images, a certain time period, with or without people, and a bunch of others.  Those can be the reasons particular images, although seem to fit the search terms better than the ones shown, don't show up in the customer's search.

Jill  

3 hours ago, Roy Conchie said:

It's in your caption:

because of the blue tiles used on the interior decoration

wim