Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Just now, Alamy said:

This is incorrect, pricing is not based on contributor location. If you are unsure about the sale, please get in touch with our contributors team so they can look into it for you. 

 

Thanks,

Elisabeth  

 

 

Thanks Elisabeth.  This is reassuring.  No the low amount was in line with what others have reported under the "scheme", but the notion that price was different by user was also worrying.

 

 

Have a good week,

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, meanderingemu said:

what, the UK scheme doesn't pay the same based on where the contributor is from?  This is unfair.  @Alamyis this true?

You said you had a live news web sell for $ I have never ever seen these and other live news contributors who I have spoken to confirm this, so I GUESSED (clues in the word), not asserted, that there must be different tariffs elsewhere. Now you know different.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/11/2020 at 03:55, Cal said:

 

When I was having the problem, I completely failed to realise I was emailing them from a different address than is registered on my alamy account. It may well be they block any email address that isn't signed up to alamy, which would seem the logical thing to do.

 

 

For me though, the address that was blocked was the one registered with Alamy and one that I had actually used before for Live News. Then I contacted them with a totally unrelated address and offered just my name, and they replied and opened the portal. So it's totally inconsistent and I have no idea what will happen next time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The Blinking Eye said:

 

For me though, the address that was blocked was the one registered with Alamy and one that I had actually used before for Live News. Then I contacted them with a totally unrelated address and offered just my name, and they replied and opened the portal. So it's totally inconsistent and I have no idea what will happen next time.

 

Network Operations Center monkeys screw up from time to time.  I'd email them at the contributors relations address and see if anyone can get that fixed.  If it bounces from there, you need to try contacting Alamy people through the Alamy section of this site. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MizBrown said:

 

Network Operations Center monkeys screw up from time to time.  I'd email them at the contributors relations address and see if anyone can get that fixed.  If it bounces from there, you need to try contacting Alamy people through the Alamy section of this site. 

 

 

Thanks, I did email contributors@alamy when I couldn't get in and got a form letter back. I should do that again, since the live news people didn't reply to my message about the problem.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, The Blinking Eye said:

 

Thanks, I did email contributors@alamy when I couldn't get in and got a form letter back. I should do that again, since the live news people didn't reply to my message about the problem.

 

You might want to continue this on an individual case by case  situation until you have a track record of selling news photos.  The other option is to see about selling locally to get tear sheets together. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, MizBrown said:

 

You might want to continue this on an individual case by case  situation until you have a track record of selling news photos.  The other option is to see about selling locally to get tear sheets together. 

 

Thanks so much!!! You all guide me. Each step of the way. It's so amazing. I will get more practice as well. It's almost impossible for me to turn photos around in an hour, which is what they ask. Case by case -- they seem to give you a bit more time to upload.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, The Blinking Eye said:

 

Thanks so much!!! You all guide me. Each step of the way. It's so amazing. I will get more practice as well. It's almost impossible for me to turn photos around in an hour, which is what they ask. Case by case -- they seem to give you a bit more time to upload.

 

 I had a $350 Windows machine (Acer if I'm remembering correctly or LG) I bought to update Godox flashes, and that one was new here (more expensive than it would have been in the US).  I had an even cheaper refurb when I came here, but it couldn't run Photoshop Essentials but it could connect to the internet and I found some graphics program that would run on it. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Kristin,

 

Your title of "Alamy Live News is not Working" is 100% inaccurate.  Alamy Live News is working 24/7, I know because I have been using it, I was one of the first contributors to it and I still contribute to it .  After reading your posts as well as others, I am sorry to say that most should not be contributing to Live News.  Photo News is  a lot more than pushing the button on a 6MP+ DSLR and knowing the basics of PhotoShop.  I spent 4 year studying journalism at one University and another two years at a major U.S.  institution of higher education studying journalism.  I do not claim to be an authority, but "Photojournalism (Alamy Live News) or any other library licensing images and information requires some education and understanding of the medium.

 

P.S. My work for the major newsmagazines while I lived in San Francisco (1983-1991) and traveled the U.S. on corporate and magazine assignments is well known.

 

Chuck

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MizBrown said:

 

 I had a $350 Windows machine (Acer if I'm remembering correctly or LG) I bought to update Godox flashes, and that one was new here (more expensive than it would have been in the US).  I had an even cheaper refurb when I came here, but it couldn't run Photoshop Essentials but it could connect to the internet and I found some graphics program that would run on it. 

 

 

 

Ah, good tip. A cheap laptop for uploading.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • The Blinking Eye changed the title to Difficulty getting through to Live News
1 hour ago, The Blinking Eye said:

 

Dear Chuck,

 

I have been aware of your credentials and respect them and I changed the title of my thread to better reflect the reality.

 

Since we're throwing our credentials around...I have a Masters of Fine Arts degree in Cinema Production (took me seven years, three years alone on a thesis film) in addition to a BA in Semiotics, the study of signs and symbols, which included filmmaking and photography classes at Brown University and the Rhode Island School of Design, in addition to an in-depth theoretical study of the meaning and production of images. I have studied 35mm photography and printing, and 16mm filmmaking, lighting, and direction, and taught such things at the university level. I have made and shot many short films, worked on several feature-length documentaries in various capacities, worked as a wedding videographer, and the list goes on.

 

In 1984, in my first black and white photography class in high school, I decided I wanted to be a world traveling photojournalist. Well, life took me on another path, that of cinema, but I do not think my dabbling on Alamy is so far-fetched. In some ways, it is a tempered realization of a distant dream.

 

Nobody has to let me into Live News. I know I do not have the commitment level or the resumé, yet, that you and others do, who have devoted your lives to mastering this specific craft. But on my second try, I sold three photos. Many here are encouraging me to go further.

 

Would you be willing to review my photos and let me know how I can improve them?   

 

Kristin

 

A pragmatic and respectable answer. Fortunately members of this forum (whether they have "credentials" or not) don't get to decide who does or doesn't have access to certain areas of the site, a somewhat protectionist view which I rather don't appreciate. Thankfully Alamy operates on the equality of opportunity principle and that's fine.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Cal said:

 

 Thankfully Alamy operates on the equality of opportunity principle and that's fine.

Er, well, thousands of us had live news access removed last year and Alamy didn't even tell us. We found out because someone reported on the forum that they had been locked out.

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Er, well, thousands of us had live news access removed last year and Alamy didn't even tell us.

They didn't tell us Alamy was being sold to PA either, maybe that was one of the clauses, who knows.

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Er, well, thousands of us had live news access removed last year and Alamy didn't even tell us. We found out because someone reported on the forum that they had been locked out.

 

There was an e-mail.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, The Blinking Eye said:

 

Ah, good tip. A cheap laptop for uploading.

 

If you're not going to edit much on it on it and you're using hot spots, and you're hauling it around in a backpack on a bicycle, get something as small as possible and use a VPN when uploading to Alamy.   If you use your own phone as a portable hot spot, VPN isn't critical.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mr Standfast said:

 

There was an e-mail.

When was that? I can't find it.

Are you sure it was before we were kicked out? I recall finding out on the forum but that's not conclusive.

Edited by spacecadet
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

When was that? I can't find it.

Are you sure it was before we were kicked out? I recall finding out on the forum but that's not conclusive.

I got this email sent out April 4, 2019: 

 

"This is just an email to let you know we are making some changes to the Live News feed. These changes will ensure our Live News clients receive the content they want, quickly and with all the relevant information needed to publish good news images. 

From today, Thursday 4th April 2019, you will no longer be able to upload to the Live News feed, however, the stock upload route will still be available without the strict requirements of Live News.

If you wish to upload to the Live News feed, you can apply to do so but you’ll need to follow the official application process under the ‘Additional Revenue Options’ section of your Contributor Dashboard."

 

So, not before we were kicked out, but to individuals who had contributed to news.

 

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, MizBrown said:

I got this email sent out April 4, 2019: 

 

"This is just an email to let you know we are making some changes to the Live News feed. These changes will ensure our Live News clients receive the content they want, quickly and with all the relevant information needed to publish good news images. 

From today, Thursday 4th April 2019, you will no longer be able to upload to the Live News feed, however, the stock upload route will still be available without the strict requirements of Live News.

If you wish to upload to the Live News feed, you can apply to do so but you’ll need to follow the official application process under the ‘Additional Revenue Options’ section of your Contributor Dashboard."

 

So, not before we were kicked out, but to individuals who had contributed to news.

 

 

 

Thanks. I didn't get that and I had submitted to Live News.

So as I said, thrown out without notice. But for the forum I would only have found out if I'd tried to upload. Pretty cavalier.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, The Blinking Eye said:

 

Dear Chuck,

 

I have been aware of your credentials and respect them and I changed the title of my thread to better reflect the reality.

 

Since we're throwing our credentials around...I have a Masters of Fine Arts degree in Cinema Production (took me seven years, three years alone on a thesis film) in addition to a BA in Semiotics, the study of signs and symbols, which included filmmaking and photography classes at Brown University and the Rhode Island School of Design, in addition to an in-depth theoretical study of the meaning and production of images. I have studied 35mm photography and printing, and 16mm filmmaking, lighting, and direction, and taught such things at the university level. I have made and shot many short films, worked on several feature-length documentaries in various capacities, worked as a wedding videographer, and the list goes on.

 

In 1984, in my first black and white photography class in high school, I decided I wanted to be a world traveling photojournalist. Well, life took me on another path, that of cinema, but I do not think my dabbling on Alamy is so far-fetched. In some ways, it is a tempered realization of a distant dream.

 

Nobody has to let me into Live News. I know I do not have the commitment level or the resumé, yet, that you and others do, who have devoted your lives to mastering this specific craft. But on my second try, I sold three photos. Many here are encouraging me to go further.

 

Would you be willing to review my photos and let me know how I can improve them?   

 

Kristin

Kristin,

 

Again I will say that you are not correct,  I was not "throwing credentials around" and if that is what you believed after reading what I wrote, then I did not state what I had to say clearly.  What I was attempting to say is there are too many who think that all photos are news.  These people do not spend enough time or have the training to know what is news, I was not writing about you or anyone specifically.  Brown and RISD are institutions that I admire and I have worked with many Brown and RISD grads over the years.

 

I will add that NEWS Photography is not like stock photography, There seems to be an idea among stock photographers of "you never know what will sell (sic)", I do not sell images, I allow the agents or libraries that distribute my images to license them. 

 

The world of news magazine photojournalism use to be photographers working under difficult conditions, working with chrome film (25 to 400 ASA) in cameras that you had to focus and determine the best exposure in fractions of a second.  Then the photographer had to figure out how to transport the unprocessed film and information about what was photographed to their agent or publication.

 

I do not claim to be an authority on photojournalism and what I express on the Alamy forum is my own opinion.  I also try not to insult people, but many on the Alamy forum seem to have very thin skins.

 

I do value Alamy and my experience with Alamy and those working with Alamy and specifically Alamy Live News (ALN) has for the most part been a very good one for me.  I do believe that ALN could be better, I.E. the images that ALN puts forward could be stronger, and the only way for those images to be stronger is for the contributors to be better "self editors" and practice better journalism?

 

Chuck

  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Thanks. I didn't get that and I had submitted to Live News.

So as I said, thrown out without notice. But for the forum I would only have found out if I'd tried to upload. Pretty cavalier.

 

Sometimes, people sending out bulk email screw up.  Also, depends on your spam filter.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, The Blinking Eye said:

 

Ah, good tip. A cheap laptop for uploading.

 

 

yeah, i had on old laptop i used for that,  with some pre-organised wording based on scheduled event, and some templates for impromptu ones,  accessing internet through my phone.  sadly it is now on fritz, so whenever i start doing more i'll have to find another solution. (for now i just bike rush home, but most news have been soft ones recently so 30 minutes delay not as crucial) 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I never had any photography training other than reading about photography, looking at photography, and taking photos.  My only journalistic experience was taking photos (head shots, sports shots, kids eating school lunches) for a weekly paper in Virginia.   I think I came between Chuck's world and Kristin's when getting a journalism job on a small daily or a weekly was still possible, though it's become less and less possible.   My Masters thesis was on the linguistic features of Edith Sitwell's theories of poetics compared to Jakobson, Fant, and Halle's "Distinctive Feature Analysis."   (I'm not going to Google to see if I spelled those names correctly).

 

Kristin a while back said that someone told her that doing stock would spoil her eye, so given what academics said about science fiction, I figured a relatively recent academic background.   I'm floundering around with photography because I like learning new things and I don't know if I could sell another novel.

 

Back when I lived in New York, I saw an exhibit of news photographs from the Speed Graphic days that Diane Arbus curated for the Museum of Modern Art.   I've always felt squeamish about Arbus's work, but loved the collection she curated. 

 

I like knowing you both. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, MizBrown said:

I got this email sent out April 4, 2019: 

 

"This is just an email to let you know we are making some changes to the Live News feed. These changes will ensure our Live News clients receive the content they want, quickly and with all the relevant information needed to publish good news images. 

From today, Thursday 4th April 2019, you will no longer be able to upload to the Live News feed, however, the stock upload route will still be available without the strict requirements of Live News.

If you wish to upload to the Live News feed, you can apply to do so but you’ll need to follow the official application process under the ‘Additional Revenue Options’ section of your Contributor Dashboard."

 

So, not before we were kicked out, but to individuals who had contributed to news.

 I remember having the same email, reading it early morning. Filed away in my Alamy mail folder.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.