November 2020 challenge: Photographers

wiskerke

I don't take many shots of 'photographers' but I seem to have a few pf people using a phone to take a snapshot. So my 3 entries..

1. Doing the tourist dress-up 'thing' at Gyeongbokgung Palace in Seoul, South Korea.

friends-wearing-traditional-korean-dress-the-hanbok-take-photos-in-front-of-the-gyeongbokgung-palace-in-seoul-south-korea-R20K0P.jpg

2. Windsor Castle selfie

a-tourist-asian-family-pose-for-a-selfie-taken-with-a-mobile-phone-in-front-of-windsor-castle-in-windsor-uk-PRD051.jpg

3. Trainee Photographer!

a-young-boy-taking-a-photograph-on-the-iron-bridge-at-ironbridge-in-H7D3KN.jpg

Edited by Matt Ashmore
  • Love 2

Now we have this new Forum format, which is much narrower on most devices and displays, it's a good moment to point out the solution to images getting squished here.

You can only remedy this on your own images in your own post.

So if your images appear squished and you want to rectify that:

Go back to your original post.
Click Edit.
Double click on each image and tick the box Keep original aspect ratio.
Click save.
Done.

And as Allan said:

And don't forget if it does not work check the max limit in pixels on the sides. (length or height) and reduce appropriately.

Not sure if the size limits have shrunk with the new design. The resulting images certainly are a lot smaller.

wim

• Like 2

On 13/11/2020 at 11:12, Cal said:

I like your last image but for me it has raised some questions.

I went to NYC and visited the top of the rock in early 2019. I was just starting to get into stock at the time and took some nice photos from up there, but felt I couldn't upload them due to the restrictions. You have to pay to get in and are obviously on private property and I remember reading at the time that you were not allowed to sell any photos taken up there unless released. They have an inquiry form on their website for people wanting to to do "photoshoots" up there so I presume the intention is to charge anyone wanting to make money off the view handsomely. I also read that some of the buildings in the view from the observation deck are copyrighted, but I don't know how true this is. In other words it sounded to me like a legal quagmire and I didn't bother risk uploading the images even for editorial use. I notice yours isn't marked editorial so did you have permission or are you not worried about the risk? if you did get permission was it easy to obtain?

Hi Cal,

thanks for that. No, I didn’t have special permission.  It was taken quite a few years ago and I wouldn’t have taken it with it being a stock shot in mind back then.

I had no idea that special permission was necessary, just naive I guess. I think it’s best I remove it. 

With regard to to the other buildings in the shot I always put those type of images for sale as RM and mark it to say there is property in the shot I do not have releases for. I understood that put the onus on the buyer as to how they used the shot but I’d welcome any advice on that if I’m wrong.   

If it’s ok with Wim I’ll replace it with with another image for the comp.

Steve 🙂

Edited by Steve Hyde

5 hours ago, Steve Hyde said:

If it’s ok with Wim I’ll replace it with with another image for the comp.

Steve 🙂

It's your post until the hammer drops. That'll be on November 30 at midnight GMT.

Amsterdam Amsterdamse Bos Bloesempark Cherry Blossom Park Mother taking pictures of daughters underneath Cherry Trees peak bloom - Stock Image   Edinburgh University Graduation Day. Family, parents and official photographer taking pictures of students outside Usher Hall. - Stock Image   Seville Spain, group of photographers with tripods at night on guided photo tour aiming at the Giralda Cathedral Tower - Stock Image   Taking pictures at the National Cherry Blossom Festival in Washington DC. Tidal Basin with Jefferson Memorial in the background. - Stock Image   Olmsted Point Yosemite Couple taking photos with Half Dome in the distance in Yosemite National Park - Stock Image

So a good 10 days to get some more images of photographers up here. If you have to shoot some or delve into your archive, better do it now, because you have to upload them as well.

Have a look at the already impressive amount and quality of the images in this challenge.

And if you win you get to set the new challenge. And eternal fame of course.

wim

Great topic and surprisingly hard to decide - I actually uploaded one I remembered taking just for the challenge!

So, photographers... 

Pandemic or not, photographers will find the most spectacular spots

tourists-at-lago-verde-charco-de-los-cli

(This is Lago Verde in El Golfo, Lanzarote because you may want to) 

Photographers will take their cameras everywhere, make horrible dive buddies and get a statue for it

foto-op-sculpture-of-an-underwater-photo

(Again in Lanzarote, Museo Atlantico - and a little against the challenge rules but I couldn't stop myself) 

But if there is one thing we can count on, it's that photograpers in 2020 are nothing but starving artists

venice-tourists-with-surgical-masks-walk

(San Marco, Venice, and like so much of the city this sight was heartbreaking.)

• Love 2

A quick reminder: this challenge will close on Monday at 24:00 GMT.

Lots of great shots already of course, but it's not too late late to add your own!

What was it again?

For the new challenge let's pick a theme that we all know something about:

- photographers.

Some simple rules: there has to be a person and there has to be at least one camera. Preferably somebody who is using his/her camera. Groups of photographers/people using cameras are fine. People taking selfies are fine even people using their phones as a camera are fine.

possible bonus points and wildcards:

Most photographers in one image;

Something funny;

A photographer doing something stupid that only we, other photographers, recognize;

A photographer doing something really clever.

But good images will always trump win over bad ones.

wim

Photographer using a Linhof Master Technika large format camera with a Schneider Kreuznach Super-Symmar 4,5/80 XL Stock Photo

^ Photographer using a Linhof Master Technika large format camera with a Schneider Kreuznach Super-Symmar 4,5/80 XL Aspheric lens, Taiwan. [Just to make the digital age a little more analog]

'Marcha das Vadias' (Slut Walk) protest against sexual harassment. Women bite apples symbolizing the "prohibited fruit" at Avenida Paulista, Sao Paulo Stock Photo

^ 'Marcha das Vadias' (Slut Walk) protest against sexual harassment. Women bite apples symbolizing the "prohibited fruit" at Avenida Paulista, Sao Paulo, Brazil.

Asuncion, Paraguay. 15th Aug, 2018. Brazilian President Michel Temer speaks to the media as he leaves the Metropolitan Cathedral of Asuncion after attending a Te Deum service following the inauguration ceremony of Paraguay's new President Mario Abdo Benitez in Asuncion, Paraguay. Credit: Andre M. Chang/ARDUOPRESS/Alamy Live News Stock Photo

^ Brazilian President Michel Temer speaks to the media as he leaves the Metropolitan Cathedral of Asuncion after attending a Te Deum service following the inauguration ceremony of Paraguay's new President Mario Abdo Benitez in Asuncion, Paraguay. [Remembering the time of Live News]

Stay safe,

andre

Edited by AM Chang
  • Love 1

And we're closed!

All people who have contributed, thank you!

On last count you were 42 contenders strong.

You can see for yourself how high the overall quality is. (And how high you think your level is among your fellow contributors.)

In the last phase of this challenge I decided to create 8 categories to make the process of whittling things down easier.

Because as usual you had made that pretty difficult. Such great images all!

The categories were:

A Look through the Viewfinder  6
Apprentice Photographers aka Children  3

If Caspar David Friedrich had been a Photographer   5
The Last Animal on Earth  3
The Lone Photographer  9
The Professionals  6
The Selfie  2
The Tourists  6

(the numbers are the numbers of images that made the long list)

For the shortlist I picked one from each group. And only one per photographer, which is sort of an unwritten rule.

9 people had made it to the long list with 2 images, so that posed another challenge.

In the end only 1 of those made it to the shortlist so far, but I still have to decide 1 category.

Let's see if I still remember how to set up a poll.

All, thanks again for playing!

wim

• Love 1