Sony rx100 censor spots

Oh my! This doesn't look like anything I'd ever attempt or recommend.

https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=cleaning+the.+sensore+on+a.+Sony+RX100&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

When I've had dust spots on any of my locked Sonys, I would remove them in PhotoShop. I always check my images at 100% before submitting to Alamy.

Good luck, Nick.

Edo

Presumably this camera isn't dust sealed so it's a matter of probability. I'd rate the chances of being able to reassemble without introducing further spots as pretty low.

Though I'm the sort of person who likes taking things to bits I've never done it to a digital camera that wasn't already broken. I'd leave it unless it's difficult to spot out in PS/LR.  You could get a quote for a professional clean- Wim paid about €60 a while back IIRC. However most non-manufacturer services won't touch a compact and I don't blame them.

The video that Ed has shared looks terrifyingly complex, they pack so much into those tiny cameras, I'm pretty keen to take things apart but I don't think I'd try that. Also I think that it would be very hard not to introduce dust into the camera that would cause trouble down the line. I wonder what it is? There seem to be quite a few videos using vacuum cleaners on sealed cameras, it probably wouldn't work but it probably wouldn't harm it either. I don't know the camera but most DSLRs have an ultrasonic cleaning mode for repelling the dust on to a sticky pad underneath, presumably it doesn't have that because in theory dust can't get in. In practice perhaps the 'pump' action of the zoom lens has sucked some in somehow. You can get ultrasonic cleaners for jewellers etc., they are just platforms that vibrate ultrasonically and the jewellery is supposed to go in a cleaning fluid in a pan on top. Just putting it on the platform might dislodge it, or alternatively it might reduce your RX100 to a pile of discrete components! Cloning out the spot is a whole lot less risky.

Edit: Actually a vacuum cleaner might cause more dusty air to be sucked in.

Edited by Harry Harrison

My brother was the fix it guy in my family. He was a flight mechanic in the Airforce. I'm the drop it and step on it guy. Familia tremor keeps me from even trying to change the SIM card in my phone. PS or LR is the way to go with the RX100. 

I go over my kit with a 1/2" paintbrush (unused😉) now and again- a leftover from my high-speed ciné days when the major cleaning tool was a vacuum cleaner- to clean out the film chips.. But SLTs are remarkably resistant and I barely do a wet clean once a year now. The last time I picked up a big spot was on the beach in New Zealand- don't do a lot of sand.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spacecadet said:

The last time I picked up a big spot was on the beach in New Zealand

Hope you had some cream to put on it.😉

Allan

7 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Oh my! This doesn't look like anything I'd ever attempt or recommend.

https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=cleaning+the.+sensore+on+a.+Sony+RX100&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

When I've had dust spots on any of my locked Sonys, I would remove them in PhotoShop. I always check my images at 100% before submitting to Alamy.

Good luck, Nick.

Edo

An interesting video, I wouldn't trust that person to clean a sensor of mine. When he puffed and dislodged what looked like a shim, it came close to marking the lens rear element, and that would show up far more than a dust spot. I might attempt a clean my RX100, but would like to first source the black circular cover, he made a mess of it. I'm used to stripping down the complete range of Apple computers, so am used to handling more delicate flex cables than used in the RX100. Use of a clean air bench and sticky matt, or even a class 100 cleanroom would be better to control potential dust, but I no longer have access to one. 

13 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Presumably this camera isn't dust sealed so it's a matter of probability. I'd rate the chances of being able to reassemble without introducing further spots as pretty low.

Though I'm the sort of person who likes taking things to bits I've never done it to a digital camera that wasn't already broken. I'd leave it unless it's difficult to spot out in PS/LR.  You could get a quote for a professional clean- Wim paid about €60 a while back IIRC. However most non-manufacturer services won't touch a compact and I don't blame them.

That was at the official service center. I had it done twice - once a M1 and once a M2. They may have introduced a blanket 350 fee now for everything like Nikon. Meaning for the earlier versions it's almost always cheaper to buy a good used one.

Anyway, from that low 60 or 65 euro fee it was clear that it must have been a very simple procedure for them.

wim

13 hours ago, sb photos said:

An interesting video, I wouldn't trust that person to clean a sensor of mine. When he puffed and dislodged what looked like a shim, it came close to marking the lens rear element, and that would show up far more than a dust spot. I might attempt a clean my RX100, but would like to first source the black circular cover, he made a mess of it. I'm used to stripping down the complete range of Apple computers, so am used to handling more delicate flex cables than used in the RX100. Use of a clean air bench and sticky matt, or even a class 100 cleanroom would be better to control potential dust, but I no longer have access to one. 

I would have warmed that black circular cover up before attempting to pull it off like happened in the video.  However, the video did show what a masterpiece of electronic design is inside the little RX100s.  If they had moulded a much needed grip in the case it would have given a bit more room for some electronic wizardry.

On 14/03/2020 at 07:12, Harry Harrison said:

Edit: Actually a vacuum cleaner might cause more dusty air to be sucked in.

Very good point. I clean my sensors on my own DSLRs, I wouldn't try to work on the RX100, too many small parts. I don't like those ribbon cables either.

Did I read the prices right on eBay, cheaper to just buy another one or two, used, than clean one? Sad situation. Nice camera!