Canon slide copying set-up

OK 140mm it is.

On a side note I have been noodling about searching for a film strip holder after deciding that designing* and printing one would be difficult to get right and may not work ever and not wanting to risk damaging my film scanners holder.   So I ordered a new Plustek Film & Slide Holder on eBay to check out and see if it would be viable.   

OK, pixel-peepers don't bother reading this one.

After a little noodling around, I cobbled together on-hand items, and can get most of a slide with a Nikon ES-1 and an APS-C camera.

Back to front:

--Canon SL1 18mp APS-C camera

--Vello 31mm extension tube

--Canon 50mm f2.5 macro lens

--Sigma achromatic macro lens (a 1.6x "close-up lens")

--Nikon ES-1 extended about a half-inch

Results look good, but I just grabbed a random slide. Will need to look for sharpest ones.

What I don't get is, I'm capturing nearly all of the long edges of the frame (i.e., the edges at the top and bottom of a horizontal image), but lose a small but noticeable amount at the sides.

Again, just trying to see what might work from what I already have. It helps that the Canon lens, Sigma close-up lens, and ES-1 all have 52mm threads.

1 hour ago, Bill Kuta said:

After a little noodling around, I cobbled together on-hand items, and can get most of a slide with a Nikon ES-1 and an APS-C camera.

Back to front:

Results look good, but I just grabbed a random slide. Will need to look for sharpest ones.

What I don't get is, I'm capturing nearly all of the long edges of the frame (i.e., the edges at the top and bottom of a horizontal image), but lose a small but noticeable amount at the sides.

Again, just trying to see what might work from what I already have. It helps that the Canon lens, Sigma close-up lens, and ES-1 all have 52mm threads.

I've not seen anything like that. Perhaps it might have something to do with the Sigma close-up lens? I don't know how this setup works on non-fullframe cameras but perhaps the 50mm lens will effectively become a 75mm so may not focus close enough. But you are probably reducing image quality introducing the Sigma lensand you need everything you can get with copying. If you could get hold of one or two of the spacer tubes that fit in front of the lens you might get a lot better results. It is not possible to do slide copying and not be a pixel peeper by the way - it comes with the territory.

Edited by MDM

19 hours ago, Bill Kuta said:

Back to front:

Assuming I've understood what you're describing, the explanation might simple. The exposed 35mm film area is specified as 36mm x 24mm (full frame), a 3:2 ratio. This matches your camera's APSC sensor which is 22.3 x 14.9mm, (also 3:2). But the window in the slide mount is often smaller to allow some tolerance for film mounting without showing the film rebate. Suppose the slide mount allows a 1/2mm all round. The window in the slide mount will then be 35mm x 23mm which is a 3.04:1 ratio. So the image falling on the camera sensor will be wider than the sensor (if the height just fits). I've just measured some of my slide mounts from different manufacturers using a digital caliper and there's quite a range of window sizes. I've also noticed, while copying slides from different manufacturers, on a fixed magnification set up, the amount of mount that appears as a border around the captured image varies quite significantly.

I find it's easiest to set the copying system up to include a small amount of the slide mount in the captured image and then crop in PS or LR afterwards. This allows the setup to deal with small variations in alignment of the slide or in the size of the mount window. Sometimes, I also need to remove the film from the original slide mount and put into one with a larger window because the slide mount has cropped an important part of the image.  

Mark 

Edited by M.Chapman
  • Like 1

After a bit more messing about, I've eliminated the Sigma close-up lens and captured a little bit more (almost all) of the visible frame in the slide mount.

Now it's:

Canon SL1 APS-C

Vello 21mm extension tube

Canon 50mm f2.5 macro lens

Nikon ES-1, extended most of the way out

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Bill Kuta said:

I've eliminated the Sigma close-up lens and captured a little bit more (almost all) of the visible frame in the slide mount

Does that mean that the 50mm Macro is extended fully together with your 21mm extension tube?  Sounds like you need a bit more extension on the ES-1 or am I misunderstanding? Could try some 52mm filters just to get an idea of how much is required.

You may be right about needing a bit more extension on the ES-1. The macro lens is only extended out to 1:1.5, but the ES-1 is extended all the way out. Sadly, I don't have anything on hand to add to the extension. But I'm pretty happy with the results so far anyway.

Edit:  Just ordered an extension ring from Hong Kong. Will quarantine and fumigate upon arrival.

Edited by Bill Kuta

2 hours ago, Bill Kuta said:

Edit:  Just ordered an extension ring from Hong Kong. Will quarantine and fumigate upon arrival.

You would probably be far more likely to get infected in Washingon than Hong Kong now. Anyway you probably don't need to quarantine and fumigate as human to extension ring transmission of Covid-19 has not been confirmed 🤓

Edited by MDM

1 hour ago, MDM said:

You would probably be far more likely to get infected in Washingon than Hong Kong now. Anyway you probably don't need to quarantine and fumigate as human to extension ring transmission of Covid-19 has not been confirmed 🤓

Nor has it been eliminated 🤧

8 minutes ago, Bill Kuta said:

You can’t be too careful although none of my gear appears to have caught Covid-19 from me yet. My iPad is most in danger I guess as the most used bit of kit recently. 😀

7 hours ago, MDM said:

5 hours ago, Bill Kuta said:

I'd be more worried about the outside of the parcel that the delivery driver has just touched than the contents of the parcel which have been in transit for days.

Mark 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, M.Chapman said:

I'd be more worried about the outside of the parcel that the delivery driver has just touched than the contents of the parcel which have been in transit for days.

Mark 

Or letters although I did see something saying that the chances of getting infected from letters or parcels is tiny. However that is debatable I imagine, especially if the delivery driver is infectious. How long can the virus remain on a parcel or letter surface anyway?  Writing letters to the elderly warning them to isolate would seem to be a potentially self-defeating activity as well as being very expensive and unnecessary.as the elderly appear to be the most aware of the dangers anyway through the broadcast media and the internet. 

Back to the topic: I am intending to start back on slide copying as soon as energy levels permit and looking forward to it. 

Edited by MDM

3 minutes ago, MDM said:

Or letters although I did see something saying that the chances of getting infected from letters or parcels is tiny. However that is debatable I imagine, especially if the delivery driver is infectious. How long can the virus remain on a parcel or letter surface anyway?

We're pretty careful with mail & newspapers, I've heard 24 hours, I've heard 72 hours but also that the virus is so small that it snuggles down inside the fibres so you're less likely to be able to come into contact with it anyway, it's hard surfaces that are dangerous for obvious reasons. On the other hand the argument put forward against the use of masks is that you might pick up the virus from touching the outside of the mask. That argument might take a back seat if there are ever enough masks around to service the general public as well. I've made up a 1:40 mix of bleach in a spray bottle for surfaces and stuff brought into the house from outside, makes me feel better anyway.

Not sure about all this. We can't stay inside forever spraying bleach over everything that comes into the house, washing down our shopping etc.

Unless we stay inside until a vaccine is developed we are going to have to come out at some time and the virus won't have gone away.

I know that some 1.5 million people with specified health problems have been instructed/strongly advised to stay inside for three months. 

But what about the herd? And us older, weaker herd members?

I read one 'expert' suggesting that we have painted ourselves into a corner.

Alan has posted 'the thing' for slide copying. I am looking forward to its arrival and will, with his permission already given, report back here with pics.

Edited by geogphotos

Yes, he's talking about an exit strategy, I don't want to make this thread  'pandemical' but for now, and frankly for self-interest, I think the responsibility is to try and reduce the spread, there's too many dying now and the maths doesn't look good over the next 10 days until the effects of the lock-in will hopefully begin to be seen. The post has arrived, just one thank goodness, a magazine in a plastic wrapper, should be easy to deal with.

Hurray for slide copying, a wonderfully abstract diversion. 

Edited by Harry Harrison

I'm going nowhere!

Really grateful to the postal service for keeping going, and those providing water, power, internet.

I think it will be Monday before the thing arrives. I'll let you know.

31 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Now you have got me worried as I am expecting a package today.😷

Allan

Most flu viruses can live one to two days on nonporous surfaces, and 8 to 12 hours on porous surfaces. Don't open it for a day? 👍

20 hours ago, Bill Kuta said:

After a bit more messing about, I've eliminated the Sigma close-up lens and captured a little bit more (almost all) of the visible frame in the slide mount.

Now it's:

Canon SL1 APS-C

Vello 21mm extension tube

Canon 50mm f2.5 macro lens

Nikon ES-1, extended most of the way out

Sounds good! Very short version of M.Chapman's fine description. 35mm films have an image format of 36 x 24 mm. Digital cameras have the same ratio.

But the cardboard mount doesn't.

If I'm measuring and doing the math right, the opening in the mount is, 1.31" x 0.90" or 33.274mm x 22.86 = 1.45 instead of 1.5 ratio (3:2) So yes the image is cropped a bit on the top and bottom, which would make the edges go beyond the full image width, fitting on the sensor.

Your idea to over shoot and crop sound good. 🙂