Canon slide copying set-up

32 minutes ago, M.Chapman said:

Camera = Canon 5D

Lens = your 100mm Canon L macro lens

Slideholder = Nikon ES-1

Adapters = 67 to 52mm step down ring and spacers (see exact details below)

There's no particular "magic" to the ES-1 that means it will only work with Nikon. The ES-1 is just an adjustable length metal tube, with slide holder and light diffuser at one end, and a filter thread at the other. It happens to be designed so that it works without any extension tube/spacers/adaptors with the right Nikon macro lens, but it will also work with other manufacturers' macro lenses too. It's just a case of getting the right thread and the spacing roughly right (by screwing in a step down ring and some extension tube(s)) and then using the adjustment range of the the ES-1 to make the final tweak).

Ken Rockwell quotes the minimum working distance of the 100mm Canon L as 133mm (see here https://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/lenses/100mm-f28-is.htm#spex)

He doesn't quote the front lens element diameter, but I can from the photo see it looks to be less than 40mm, so 52mm extension tubes should be just fine (no danger of vignetting even at f2.8.

I also note Kevin (above) needed around 81mm of extension to get the ES-1 to work with his 100mm (non-L) Canon, which is a similar, but not identical lens.

So, if it was me ordering the bits, I'd buy the following

1 off - Nikon ES-1 (wherever you can get the best price)

1 off - 67-52mm step down ring for £4.99 from Amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00ZUCCZIS

4 off - 52mm x 28mm long extension tube spacers from Amazon at £7.99 each https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009VPPZYQ

You may only need to use 3 of the spacers, but if you buy 4 you will have the option of shooting below 1:1. This will making slide positioning a little less critical and you can crop in PS later.

Job done (providing you have a suitable light source. You could use daylight, but I wouldn't recommend it).

Mark

Brilliant Mark 😃

Couldn't ask for clearer instructions. 

5 minutes ago, M.Chapman said:

Thanks. Please let us know how you get on.

Mark

There's quite a long wait. Delivery dates are end of April into May. So will print off your post and keep safe for the future.

Thanks again.

3 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

There's quite a long wait. Delivery dates are end of April into May. So will print off your post and keep safe for the future.

Thanks again.

You can probably shave those prices on ebay, or at least find some UK stock.

7 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

You can probably shave those prices on ebay, or at least find some UK stock.

I hadn't noticed those long delivery dates... Are Amazon "padding out" their delivery dates in case of disruption?

I can find an alternative to the stepping ring which claims to be in stock in UK and delivered quickly

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/67mm-to-52mm-Stepping-Step-Down-Ring-Camera-Lens-Filter-Adapter-Ring-67-52mm/153471145592

But the equivalent spacers I can find on eBay are from Hong Kong.

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/52mm-threaded-28mm-extension-tube-spacer-ring/362412022109 

Still quicker than Amazon's quoted dates though.

Mark

16 hours ago, geogphotos said:

Thanks again.

This is likely to as below, and will likely extend further than April 5th, as even with rationing shops run out of essential items soon after opening and more switch to on-line ordering.

I ordered 2 x 28mm 52mm threaded extensions from one Chinese Ebay source, their last 2, and another from a similar source. The first order took around 3 - 4 weeks. The last order is now way over due.

“We are temporarily prioritizing household staples, medical supplies, and other high-demand products coming into our fulfillment centers so that we can more quickly receive, restock, and deliver these products to customers.” 

Amazon in a memo sent to its sellers. 

Amazon now is accepting products in the following categories only: baby products, health, and household appliances, personal care, grocery, industrial and scientific, and pet supplies. 

Amazon made this change after the spread of coronavirus caused a spike in online orders. Shoppers flocked to the online giant after the supply of essentials such as toilet paper and paper towels were depleted in brick and mortar stores. Amazon struggled to handle the demand, and customers were met with shipping delays. 

From now until April 5, sellers who use Amazon’s “Fulfilled by Amazon” program will not be able to send their goods to Amazon for distribution. Amazon also will stop purchasing non-essential items from vendors. 

For shoppers, this means toilet paper, pasta and other epidemic essentials will be easier to purchase online. At the same time, the supply of other products, like electronics including those from Apple, may be more challenging to obtain.

Edited by sb photos

This is the one I made.

VTnPtc.jpgmFg1JT.jpg

All is does is hold the slide at the distance that allows the image to almost fill the frame of my micro lens, allowing for a margin for in-camera focus stacking that crops a bit on Olympus.  It uses a P type adaptor, that are cheap and easy to source from UK stock, to attach to the lens and allow for alignment. I had to use a step up ring from my 30mm micro lens because there were no P or A type adaptors available. 

While is looks very bulky it does have the benefit of killing any stray light because of the size and the uneven texture I printed on the inside of the tubular part.  This iteration is for mounted slides so I will be designing a holder for strips that fits in the current guides.  

I can make one of these for anyone who on the list who wants one if they give me an accurate measurement of the distance from the front of their lens to a slide mount where the slide image almost fills the frame (in mm please).  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Alan Gallery said:

This is the one I made.

VTnPtc.jpgmFg1JT.jpg

All is does is hold the slide at the distance that allows the image to almost fill the frame of my micro lens, allowing for a margin for in-camera focus stacking that crops a bit on Olympus.  It uses a P type adaptor, that are cheap and easy to source from UK stock, to attach to the lens and allow for alignment. I had to use a step up ring from my 30mm micro lens because there were no P or A type adaptors available. 

While is looks very bulky it does have the benefit of killing any stray light because of the size and the uneven texture I printed on the inside of the tubular part.  This iteration is for mounted slides so I will be designing a holder for strips that fits in the current guides.  

I can make one of these for anyone who on the list who wants one if they give me an accurate measurement of the distance from the front of their lens to a slide mount where the slide image almost fills the frame (in mm please).  

Alan, I would be interested in possibly buying one from you, or something similar, if you can work out what I need from the posts above ( sorry). 

Edited by geogphotos

I would be happy to make you one as a test to see how you get on with it if you give me some feedback.  However, as to the distance I would be guessing because with the ES-2 I understand that it was racked in and out a bit.  It would be ok to use a tape measure.  Set it up as if copying from the lightbox so that you almost fill the frame with the slide image with a few mm all around.  Measure from the end of the lens to the surface of the slide mount and take a few measurements from each side of the lens front and take an average - it would be better to err a bit on the longer side.  

3 hours ago, Alan Gallery said:

This is the one I made.

VTnPtc.jpgmFg1JT.jpg

I would suggest adding a diffuser at the back like the ES-1.

18 hours ago, Alan Gallery said:

I would be happy to make you one as a test to see how you get on with it if you give me some feedback.  However, as to the distance I would be guessing because with the ES-2 I understand that it was racked in and out a bit.  It would be ok to use a tape measure.  Set it up as if copying from the lightbox so that you almost fill the frame with the slide image with a few mm all around.  Measure from the end of the lens to the surface of the slide mount and take a few measurements from each side of the lens front and take an average - it would be better to err a bit on the longer side.  

According to Ken Rockwell, the working distance of the Canon 100mm L macro (that I believe Ian / Geogphotos has) is 133mm which gives 1:1 reproduction on full frame Canon DSLR. So an adapter that's slightly longer would seem to be sensible. The lens filter size is 67mm.

https://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/lenses/100mm-f28-is.htm#spex

That should be enough info?

How are you making them? 3D printer?

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman

20 minutes ago, Alan Gallery said:

3d printing yes. If Ian is happy to go with 133mm I will print it.

Sorry Alan I am a technical illiterate - whatever Mark says.

So please let me know what I am committing to before going ahead - costs.

Thinking about it you would be better to get somebody else to give you feedback because I will be useless and just ask no end of dopey questions. 

41 minutes ago, Alan Gallery said:

I'm doing this for the years we have semi known each other. No payment necessary.  Do you have a 67mm P type adaptor

That's extremely kind of you. 

No I don't have anything like that. Honestly I am a total moron!

I have a Canon 5D Mk 3 and 100mm L lens. 

Do I need to but a 67mm P type adaptor - no need for all those extension rings?

https://www.parkcameras.com/p/9332308/filter-accessories/cokin/p-series-67mm-adapter-ring-p467?utm_source=awin&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=nmpi&utm_term=generic&utm_content=generic&gclsrc=aw.ds&&gclid=Cj0KCQjwjoH0BRD6ARIsAEWO9DuPwCImYfuJtct7OVsNAwtSCedAmJDZfJ5t2nXcKeFvhs6VKp6TPW8aAhoeEALw_wcB&gclid=Cj0KCQjwjoH0BRD6ARIsAEWO9DuPwCImYfuJtct7OVsNAwtSCedAmJDZfJ5t2nXcKeFvhs6VKp6TPW8aAhoeEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds&source=aw&awc=6241_1585491066_94b62a3156cc067371a5cd46d8f572c4

If you can send me one I will definitely reimburse you for that.

I do have my two sons with me at home now - one teaches art and photography and the other has a design degree so who knows we might be able to work things out between us.

Edited by geogphotos

17 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

This is what we have been playing with today and did get some good results by using a spirit level to get the camera straight

That's quite similar to my setup. 🙂

Using a small flat mirror on the lightbox is even better (adjust the camera so the image of the lens is central).

I bought a couple of 50mm x 500mm mirrors that fit exactly where I put my 35mm slides from here for £1.66 each.

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Acrylic-Handbag-Plastic-Mirror-Shatterproof-Safety-Travel-Mirror-Make-Up-Bag/362429329957

For those that might want diffuser material you can get it cut to various sizes here.

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Perspex-Laser-Cut-Opal-Cast-Acrylic-Plastic-Disc-Circle-3mm-5mm-8mm-10mm/254391035590

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman

35 minutes ago, Alan Gallery said:

I will send one I but I use --   www.srb-photographic.co.uk -- who have been making adaptors for photo and scientific since I was in short trousers.

Very kind of you but with me you really will be dealing with 'slide copying for dummies'. 

Though I am happy to share my trials and tribulations here and see how it works out.

5 hours ago, geogphotos said:

Do I need to but a 67mm P type adaptor - no need for all those extension rings?

The Cokin adapter doesn't replace the extenders- it's just what Alan is using to attach his unit to them.

21 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

The Cokin adapter doesn't replace the extenders- it's just what Alan is using to attach his unit to them.

Assuming Alan can 3D print a unit that is around 140mm long, then the extenders won't be needed. Just the 67mm thread Cokin P adapter and Alan's unit.

Mark

8 hours ago, Alan Gallery said:

3d printing yes. If Ian is happy to go with 133mm I will print it.

I'd make it a little longer, say 140mm. This should ensure the full area of a 35mm slide can be photographed with a small border that can be cropped out later and will make slide alignment a little less critical. 

Mark