Canon slide copying set-up

Our letter carrier wears gloves, and much of the intermediate mail handling is automated, BUT before getting to our house, the letter carrier has also picked up outgoing mail from possibly hundreds of other mailboxes.

6 hours ago, geogphotos said:

Not sure about all this. We can't stay inside forever spraying bleach over everything that comes into the house, washing down our shopping etc.

Unless we stay inside until a vaccine is developed we are going to have to come out at some time and the virus won't have gone away.

I know that some 1.5 million people with specified health problems have been instructed/strongly advised to stay inside for three months. 

But what about the herd? And us older, weaker herd members?

I read one 'expert' suggesting that we have painted ourselves into a corner.

Alan has posted 'the thing' for slide copying. I am looking forward to its arrival and will, with his permission already given, report back here with pics.

4 hours ago, Harry Harrison said:

Yes, he's talking about an exit strategy, I don't want to make this thread  'pandemical' but for now, and frankly for self-interest, I think the responsibility is to try and reduce the spread, there's too many dying now and the maths doesn't look good over the next 10 days until the effects of the lock-in will hopefully begin to be seen. The post has arrived, just one thank goodness, a magazine in a plastic wrapper, should be easy to deal with.

Hurray for slide copying, a wonderfully abstract diversion. 

Yes keeping this thread as a safe haven from virus talk is a good idea  Forgive this anomaly but I would like to give some thoughts on Ian's post quoted above. I have been seriously considering  a long break from the  forum anyway as rational discussion has become impossible in certain areas. However, as I am still spending most of my time lying down trying to recover from Covid-19, the forum does provide a break from my other generally non-interactive activities. So here is a hopefully rational thought or two based on my own experience with Covid-19 in relation to the quotes above. 

So the dilemma of how to proceed for those who have not got Covid-19 yet given that a vaccine is probably a year away: 

1, Isolate long term and hope not to get it until a vaccine is made available. This is probably not an option for many as isolation for a year is not really viable. This has the disadvantage of ongoing fear of the unknown which may be as bad as the disease itself in the long term. Living life in fear is most unhealthy from a holistic perspective. 

2. Isolate for now until the lockdown is lifted perhaps in June. At that point the risk of getting Covid-19 will be much less as many will have already had it so the danger of infection will be much less than now. It is important to be aware that the disease is likely to be currently rampant as the official figures are now fundamentally irrelevant in terms of the true extent of the pandemic due to the lack of very extensive testing.

3. Actively go out of your way now to get the disease and get it out of the way. I don’t recommend this, as the consequences might be very serious or even fatal and the risk of that becomes much greater with age. Having said that,  I can tentatively say myself that I am actually glad I have got it at an early stage although that is with the benefit of hindsight and the assumption that I am actually going to survive it. While I see that as highly likely at this point, it is not a given. I feel improved for a few days and then get hit by it again. The trajectory is definitely upwards but it is a sneaky, insidious illness so I will not tempt fate. by saying I am clear. So although I am no longer afraid of getting Covid-19, which is wonderful as I was worried beforehand, there are caveats. One is that the length of immunity is unknown and another is that, with my immune system pretty battered right now from fighting this virus, I could be prone to other infections. 

So if I had to make a blind decision in the situation that most people are still in, I would choose option 2 as the best bet. I would keep in mind that the disease is generally only fatal in the very elderly with serious pre-existing medical conditions. I would try to control anxiety by rationalising the situation, keeping well-informed of the ongoing situation by getting my information from trustworthy sources and I would try to maintain good health by diet and exercise if possible.  Above all I would use reason and not give in to blind fear. 

I hope to have the energy soon do something productive like copying slides and contributing to this excellent thread on topic. Good luck all 

Edited by MDM
  • Love 1
  • Like 2

I think that the P adaptor is not seated properly  on  the thing.  The only thing different between my test for alignment and your result is the 67mm P adaptor.  It may be slightly thinner and not wedging in totally square as it should. 

That's probably giving you the resolution that you require with hopefully the ease and speed of an ES-1. It would be well worth digging out a slide with detail right to the corners to establish the optimum aperture, it's usually in a very small range, probably f8 - f11, once established then just stick to it for everything.

1 hour ago, MDM said:

So the dilemma of how to proceed for those who have not got Covid-19 yet given that a vaccine is probably a year away

Appreciated, I'm not looking to get it any time soon though I imagine it wouldn't be that difficult, just stand still in the supermarket for a while, or just look out for those not keeping to social distancing, chatting maybe, and follow them round. As it is I feel like a member of the resistance every time I go in.

• Love 1

7 minutes ago, Alan Gallery said:

I think that the P adaptor is not seated properly  on  the thing.  The only thing different between my test for alignment and your result is the 67mm P adaptor.  It may be slightly thinner and not wedging in totally square as it should. 

Ian try pushing the side of the P ring opposite the thumbscrew inward and listen for a click.  That might seat it properly.

6 minutes ago, Alan Gallery said:

Ian try pushing the side of the P ring opposite the thumbscrew inward and listen for a click.  That might seat it properly.

Looks like a very good system, clever to use the P adapter given that it comes in all the required sizes and is still readily available.

I don't seem to be able to get it better than this. But this is fine for my needs - just needs to be straightened in RAW conversion or Photoshop

I00006HzXsOft7JQ.jpg

Yes the slight errors are magnified. It looks okay through the lens.

Haven't tried LiveView yet. 

I'm absolutely delighted with it Alan. 😀👍

Edited by geogphotos

2 hours ago, Alan Gallery said:

Thanks  I will try to calculate what needs to be reduced to give more area of usable image with a reasonable margin.

The image looks smaller than expected.

Ian,

Have you got a filter (UV etc.) fitted to the front of your 100mm lens before you fitted the P adaptor? If so, I suggest removing it.

Also they look like a card slide mounts? Are you able to check the size of the window in the slide mount and let us know what it is? I suspect it's quite a bit smaller than 36 x 24 mm (35mm exposed film area). For example the window in the Kodachrome cardboard mounts I have are only about 34 x 22.5mm.

Alan,

Ideally the "Thing" would allow the full area of a 35mm slide (36 x 24mm) slide to be copied with a little margin, so that the full area can be copied when using a film strip holder or remounting the slide in a mount with a larger (full size) window. The 140mm length I suggested was from the front of the lens to the slide (i.e. includes the P mount) which should achieve this, assuming the 133mm working distance that Ken Rockwell quotes is correct....

Update - I see that this website quotes a working distance of 130mm, so pretty close to Ken Rockwell's value.

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman

Yes, that's a point. There is a UV filter.

Will take it off.

Nothing much of importance at the edges of these slides so am happy enough with the size displayed within the mounts. Don't really want to be taking them apart and remounting.

Edited by geogphotos

2 hours ago, geogphotos said:

Yes, that's a point. There is a UV filter.

Will take it off.

Nothing much of importance at the edges of these slides so am happy enough with the size displayed within the mounts. Don't really want to be taking them apart and remounting.

I'm glad and relieved that it's working for you :).

After you've removed the UV filter, I guess Alan might find it useful if posted another un-cropped picture of a slide together the dimensions of the window in that slide. That might allow him to refine the design in case he wants to sell/supply to others with the same lens?

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman

19 minutes ago, M.Chapman said:

I'm glad and relieved that it' working for you :).

After you've removed the UV filter, I guess Alan might find it useful if posted another un-cropped picture of a slide together the dimensions of the window in that slide. That might allow him to refine the design in case he wants to sell/supply to others with the same lens?

Mark

Yes , I emailed him mentioning your comment about the UV filter.

12 hours ago, MDM said:

Yes keeping this thread as a safe haven from virus talk is a good idea  Forgive this anomaly but I would like to give some thoughts on Ian's post quoted above. I have been seriously considering  a long break from the  forum anyway as rational discussion has become impossible in certain areas. However, as I am still spending most of my time lying down trying to recover from Covid-19, the forum does provide a break from my other generally non-interactive activities. So here is a hopefully rational thought or two based on my own experience with Covid-19 in relation to the quotes above. 

So the dilemma of how to proceed for those who have not got Covid-19 yet given that a vaccine is probably a year away: 

1, Isolate long term and hope not to get it until a vaccine is made available. This is probably not an option for many as isolation for a year is not really viable. This has the disadvantage of ongoing fear of the unknown which may be as bad as the disease itself in the long term. Living life in fear is most unhealthy from a holistic perspective. 

2. Isolate for now until the lockdown is lifted perhaps in June. At that point the risk of getting Covid-19 will be much less as many will have already had it so the danger of infection will be much less than now. It is important to be aware that the disease is likely to be currently rampant as the official figures are now fundamentally irrelevant in terms of the true extent of the pandemic due to the lack of very extensive testing.

3. Actively go out of your way now to get the disease and get it out of the way. I don’t recommend this, as the consequences might be very serious or even fatal and the risk of that becomes much greater with age. Having said that,  I can tentatively say myself that I am actually glad I have got it at an early stage although that is with the benefit of hindsight and the assumption that I am actually going to survive it. While I see that as highly likely at this point, it is not a given. I feel improved for a few days and then get hit by it again. The trajectory is definitely upwards but it is a sneaky, insidious illness so I will not tempt fate. by saying I am clear. So although I am no longer afraid of getting Covid-19, which is wonderful as I was worried beforehand, there are caveats. One is that the length of immunity is unknown and another is that, with my immune system pretty battered right now from fighting this virus, I could be prone to other infections. 

So if I had to make a blind decision in the situation that most people are still in, I would choose option 2 as the best bet. I would keep in mind that the disease is generally only fatal in the very elderly with serious pre-existing medical conditions. I would try to control anxiety by rationalising the situation, keeping well-informed of the ongoing situation by getting my information from trustworthy sources and I would try to maintain good health by diet and exercise if possible.  Above all I would use reason and not give in to blind fear. 

I hope to have the energy soon do something productive like copying slides and contributing to this excellent thread on topic. Good luck all 

Please get well. I enjoy your contributions in the forum.

• Love 1

4 hours ago, The Blinking Eye said:

Please get well. I enjoy your contributions in the forum.

Hey thanks The Blinking Eye. Much appreciated. It feels like things are getting better. The weather here the next several days is predicted to be very nice for early April which is really nice. Still intending to continue with slide copying. Take care 😀

• Like 1

Sorry I have not checked in.  I am currently printing face shield frames for the NHS through this crowd source group:

www.3dcrowd.uk

So have been at it full tilt.

I think I can work out from Ian's photos without filter what to reduce the length to.  Anyone with the same lens who wants to be a test subject and who has a P mount to suit let me know.  I think that I may have a gap in production while I wait for more plastic I need for them. UK only please for now.  

• Love 3
  • Like 1