Jump to content

All of Alamy


Recommended Posts

I see occasional mentions of utilizing Alamy Measures All of Alamy AoA search results for various data like keywords, image submission selection, etc.

As a matter of curiosity I set AoA's search date range back as far as it would go - a bit over 1 year - and entered what I thought might be some common Alamy customer search terms to see what was returned.

 

cell phone     UCO = 15

cell tower       UCO = 7

computer       UCO = 83

 

I was surprised at the low UCO numbers for what I surmised would be somewhat common search terms in today's stock image licensing world for a years worth of customer searches.

 

Returning all Search terms for the previous 1 year shows that the most UCO's other than for "alamy" are  for "dog" and "cat".  

 

Most of us are not going to be able to photograph and submit images of Boris Johnson, Donald Trump, or Marilyn Monroe.  So I guess we photograph & submit mostly dog and cat images?

 

Whats up with this?

 

Edited by Phil
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Phil said:

I see occasional mentions of utilizing Alamy Measures All of Alamy AoA search results for various data like keywords, image submission selection, etc.

As a matter of curiosity I set AoA's search date range back as far as it would go - a bit over 1 year - and entered what I thought might be some common Alamy customer search terms to see what was returned.

 

cell phone     UCO = 15

cell tower       UCO = 7

computer       UCO = 83

 

I was surprised at the low UCO numbers for what I surmised would be somewhat common search terms in today's stock image licensing world for a years worth of customer searches.

 

Returning all Search terms for the previous 1 year shows that the most UCO's other than for "alamy" are  for "dog" and "cat".  

 

Most of us are not going to be able to photograph and submit images of Boris Johnson, Donald Trump, or Marilyn Monroe.  So I guess we photograph & submit mostly dog and cat images?

 

Whats up with this?

 

 

 

Those results are for searches that START with that/those words. For searches including them you need to put them between %%.

 

For example %computer% gives 41 pages of 100 searched terms worth of results 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Phil said:

 

cell phone     UCO = 15

cell tower       UCO = 7

 

 

 

 

Possibly because that particular term is peculiar to the US and Alamy is British?

We say "mobile".

There are 2 pages of searches on "mobile phone" for the last month alone, and 5 pages for the wildcard.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Alamy states that AoA displays "all searches from customers who have spent money on Alamy within a specified date range".

 

I believe it's pretty common that a great number of image license sales occur without an image zoom that's reflected in our own Alamy Measures and AoA search data.  

 

Without an AM zoom I assume that the Alamy sales team was involved in the image search for the client. 

 

If so - would it not be helpful if Alamy could capture their sales team's image search data for inclusion in AM/AoA?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just out of interest, I made searches for one of my first language stumbling blocks when I arrived in the UK about 50 years ago. I wanted a pack of thumb tacks and the shop had absolutely no idea what I was on about. In N.America the same would be true if you asked for drawing pins. They are, of course, the same thing, but if you search for Thumb tacks you get 709 hits, if you search Drawing pins you get 2752 hits. Pretty well demonstrates that Alamy is still a UK Collection.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, NYCat said:

Then there is the issue of becoming an old woman and finding that "rouge" is now called "blush".

 

?? . . . I'm not an old woman, but I too found that "rouge" is now called "blush" . . . 😉

 

DD

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, dustydingo said:

 

?? . . . I'm not an old woman, but I too found that "rouge" is now called "blush" . . . 😉

 

DD

 

36 minutes ago, NYCat said:

Then there is the issue of becoming an old woman and finding that "rouge" is now called "blush". I see on Alamy it is also called "blusher".  

 

Paulette

I am middle aged but it has always been "blusher" to me

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.