New Sony FULL Frame camera,WOW! Come to mama! Yeah!

Today is the day!

New Sony Full frame cameras!

Anyone going to buy into the first batch they release?

http://petapixel.com/2013/10/15/sony-unveils-a7-a7r-e-mount-ilcs-pack-full-frame-punch/

After oil spots on my Nikon D7000s and D600s in the past few years,I will never buy early again.But I really really want this camera.I think. :-)

L

Today is the day!

After oil spots on my Nikon D7000s and D600s in the past few years,I will never buy early again.But I really really want this camera.I think. :-)

L

It looks very interesting but.... one of the main reasons for going mirrorless was to cut down in weight. The 24-70 f/4 is 680grams! while the 17-40L for the canon was 476g and the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 is 510grams. Sort eats into the weight saving of the camera a little. The cost of lenses is also quite high, $1200 for an f/4 zoom? ouch.

It would probably be worthwhile holding back to see the timeline of lens production / release to see what else will be on offer and when. That said, the camera itself looks very nice and if you have a host of M glass and shoot manual, this would be a good investment I think.

Today is the day!

L

It looks very interesting but.... one of the main reasons for going mirrorless was to cut down in weight. The 24-70 f/4 is 680grams! while the 17-40L for the canon was 476g and the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 is 510grams. Sort eats into the weight saving of the camera a little. The cost of lenses is also quite high, $1200 for an f/4 zoom? ouch.

It would probably be worthwhile holding back to see the timeline of lens production / release to see what else will be on offer and when. That said, the camera itself looks very nice and if you have a host of M glass and shoot manual, this would be a good investment I think.

You are correct, sir. It was weight and bulk that drove us into the arms of mirrorless cameras. I remember a phrase coined during the buildup of troops in Vietnam: mission creep. This might be "pocketable-camera-weight-size creep."

I won't be moving from my NEX-6 and NEX-7 to full frame. And I won't be moving away from primes into zooms either. The Sony zooms are either kit quality or too big and too heavy. When does this trend stop? It's exactly like the "progress" that made our DSLRs into huge, unmanageable monsters. 

Without the optional battery grip the camera is actually smaller than a Leica M6.

If the real world results come good, especially with legacy lenses, I for one will be purchasing. I'm on the waiting list for a Leica M type 240 but this launch has me re-thinking.

I don't require FF for stock, it costs and weighs too much, while limited DOF a problem.

NEX 6 remains fit for purpose. MIght consider new Zeiss 16-70 f4, but getting mixed initial reviews.

I think the passage: 徕卡也算微单),像素高达3600万,无低通滤镜,并且针对边缘成像进行了像素优化设计,价格也比想象中低多了。A7R单机身13580元,A7单机身9580元,A7+28-70套机11380元。 just about sums it up.

dd

With the metabones adapter you can use the Canon EF lenses on this too. AF is a tad slower but opens possibilities for people. 

I quite like the small camera idea for stock. It intrigues me. Everyone who is using the NEX-6 seems to be doing well with it.  

Today is the day!

L

You are correct, sir. It was weight and bulk that drove us into the arms of mirrorless cameras. I remember a phrase coined during the buildup of troops in Vietnam: mission creep. This might be "pocketable-camera-weight-size creep."

I won't be moving from my NEX-6 and NEX-7 to full frame. And I won't be moving away from primes into zooms either. The Sony zooms are either kit quality or too big and too heavy. When does this trend stop? It's exactly like the "progress" that made our DSLRs into huge, unmanageable monsters. 

Very true. What's more concerning is the rumour that they are doing away with the "Nex" brand. No Nex 6 or 7 replacement. Will they change into the a3000 style?!?!  If this turns out to be true then it could be damaging in terms of pro buy in. If you invest into expensive lenses you want to know that you won't be left high and dry when Sony gets bored of it and changes it for something else. I really hope it's wrong because it is a good design concept and only needs lens development to beef it up.

Other snippets I've seen...the A7 doesn't have the new microlens design that the A7r has. This could potentially lead to problems with colour casting on wide angle lenses... some early testers have confirmed 21mm Biogon does indeed show some vignetting and color shifting on corners. So if you are thinking of getting one of the new cameras, it may be worth while going for the A7r or waiting around to see in depth reviews...... if you want to use M glass that is.

Today is the day!

L

Very true. What's more concerning is the rumour that they are doing away with the "Nex" brand. No Nex 6 or 7 replacement. Will they change into the a3000 style?!?!  If this turns out to be true then it could be damaging in terms of pro buy in. If you invest into expensive lenses you want to know that you won't be left high and dry when Sony gets bored of it and changes it for something else. I really hope it's wrong because it is a good design concept and only needs lens development to beef it up.

Other snippets I've seen...the A7 doesn't have the new microlens design that the A7r has. This could potentially lead to problems with colour casting on wide angle lenses... some early testers have confirmed 21mm Biogon does indeed show some vignetting and color shifting on corners. So if you are thinking of getting one of the new cameras, it may be worth while going for the A7r or waiting around to see in depth reviews...... if you want to use M glass that is.

My uneducated guess is that there will be yet another NEX at some point that sports a 20 MP sensor like the one in the a3000. I also think that Sony will probably bring out more cameras like the a3000 (a5000, a7000) etc. However, you never know what the heck Sony is going to do next. As a company, Sony appears to suffer from ADHD.

Today is the day!

L

Steve Huff said the 24-70 was not good. I like his reviews and will take note of that;pending I buy this system.

I think Canon and Nikon would probably be wise to create a small mirrorless with a viewfinder. So many photogs,pro and active amateurs have jumped ship in the past year for M 4/3 and smaller systems but really lusting for full frame.

In the spring I was shooting APS-C side by side with full frame Sony RX1, Fuji X-Pro 1 alongside the Canon 6D. I also have a Canon 60D and just don't think it looks that good after iso 400 even with prime or L series lenses.

The Sony RX,when focus was right on stole the show. The Fuji did better in some instances than the Canon and for a long shooting day,the smaller cameras won out.

I'd be interested in this system if it looks like I will be photographing less action type images.I don't do sports,but do concerts every now and then. I used the X Pro 1 over the summer for an outdoor show and focus was not that easy on singers that did a lot of fast dancing. I would alternate between the screen and the viewfinder. Maybe the new XE2 would fare better? I don't know if I will be keeping the XPro1. I like it but just do not love it and I can't even articulate why.

L

I think Canon and Nikon would probably be wise to create a small mirrorless with a viewfinder. So many photogs,pro and active amateurs have jumped ship in the past year for M 4/3 and smaller systems but really lusting for full frame.

In the spring I was shooting APS-C side by side with full frame Sony RX1, Fuji X-Pro 1 alongside the Canon 6D. I also have a Canon 60D and just don't think it looks that good after iso 400 even with prime or L series lenses.

The Sony RX,when focus was right on stole the show. The Fuji did better in some instances than the Canon and for a long shooting day,the smaller cameras won out.

I'd be interested in this system if it looks like I will be photographing less action type images.I don't do sports,but do concerts every now and then. I used the X Pro 1 over the summer for an outdoor show and focus was not that easy on singers that did a lot of fast dancing. I would alternate between the screen and the viewfinder. Maybe the new XE2 would fare better? I don't know if I will be keeping the XPro1. I like it but just do not love it and I can't even articulate why.

L

Check out ww.sonyalpharumors.com regards to shutter noise if you thinking about using it in a theater or somewhere where noise maybe an issue. I seen one of the guys there was quite worried about the level of noise the shutter makes (being asked to leave for disturbing punters).... there are a few videos with recordings if you need to check it out first. I

I had read that and forgot about that. Sure don't want to have to buy and carry a blimp around to photograph quiet events.

Thx!

L

No problem.... at the same time, it might not be that bad, it all depends how they recorded it (mic to close to the camera) but from initial listening...... it sounds a little like an AK47 going off  :D  Could just see the people running for cover in the theater  :lol:

Archived