Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Apologies if this has been covered before.  Trying to keep up with the modern world...I have a presence on Instagram but so far have not uploaded any images (don't have an iPhone) and only follow a handful of contributors.  Was wondering if it was worth including a link to my Alamy page (e.g. under 'website link' (don't have my own website)? 

 

If it is (good idea) where's the best place to find the link?

 

Regards Jeff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Barking said:

Apologies if this has been covered before.  Trying to keep up with the modern world...I have a presence on Instagram but so far have not uploaded any images (don't have an iPhone) and only follow a handful of contributors.  Was wondering if it was worth including a link to my Alamy page (e.g. under 'website link' (don't have my own website)? 

 

If it is (good idea) where's the best place to find the link?

 

Regards Jeff

 

On your dashboard  there is a ‘Your Alamy portfolio page. ‘

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Barking said:

.... but so far have not uploaded any images (don't have an iPhone) .....

It works with android phones too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 19/11/2019 at 18:41, Avpics said:

It works with android phones too

Didn't know that... will have to investigate.  Thanks 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20/11/2019 at 02:41, Avpics said:

It works with android phones too

 

17 hours ago, Barking said:

Didn't know that... will have to investigate.  Thanks 😁

 

Don't bother investigating using a phone, you can do it embarrassingly easy from any PC (unless of course you only want to use a phone 😉 ).

 

DD

Edited by dustydingo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dustydingo said:

 

 

Don't bother investigating using a phone, you can do it embarrassingly easy from any PC (unless of course you only want to use a phone 😉 ).

 

DD

Or a Mac

 

Alex

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Isn't Instagram more limited from a computer than a mobile device though? For example, as far as I know you can't post multiple photos. And it takes a workaround to actually post anything? Or am I missing something?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MDM said:

Isn't Instagram more limited from a computer than a mobile device though? For example, as far as I know you can't post multiple photos. And it takes a workaround to actually post anything? Or am I missing something?

 

3 clicks and you're able to upload from a PC (I assume from Mac is just as simple).

 

Multiple photos in one post? Meh, can't imagine doing away with the convenience of uploading from PC or Mac just because I can't (and never have seen the need to) upload multiple images in one post.

 

DD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, dustydingo said:

 

3 clicks and you're able to upload from a PC (I assume from Mac is just as simple).

 

Multiple photos in one post? Meh, can't imagine doing away with the convenience of uploading from PC or Mac just because I can't (and never have seen the need to) upload multiple images in one post.

 

DD

 

I can't see any obvious way to upload images from a Mac browser and I believe it needs some modification. Not something I've bothered with as I have an iPad which is what I use for posting and viewing on Instagram. I just transfer the images from my Mac using the Photos app. 

 

I sometimes use multiple photos if I want to post a set from a particular shoot. It's useful but not in any way essential. I have a stats app which only works on iOS - not essential but among other things it allows me to see who has followed and unfollowed me soon after I follow back which is a practice I find annoying. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, MDM said:

 

I can't see any obvious way to upload images from a Mac browser and I believe it needs some modification. Not something I've bothered with as I have an iPad which is what I use for posting and viewing on Instagram. I just transfer the images from my Mac using the Photos app. 

 

I sometimes use multiple photos if I want to post a set from a particular shoot. It's useful but not in any way essential. I have a stats app which only works on iOS - not essential but among other things it allows me to see who has followed and unfollowed me soon after I follow back which is a practice I find annoying. 

I use Flume to give me more complete IG functions on a Mac. It enables uploading (not sure about multiples) and shows stats. I'm genetically unable to really understand how to obtain any benefits from social media, although being seen online must help (?).   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, KevinS said:

I use Flume to give me more complete IG functions on a Mac. It enables uploading (not sure about multiples) and shows stats. I'm genetically unable to really understand how to obtain any benefits from social media, although being seen online must help (?).   

 

I also use Flume to upload from Mac. Also cannot see any advantages for stock.

 

I recently signed up with the free account on Pixsey (who can automatically link to your instagram account) and have been SHOCKED how many of my instagram images appear on other websites. Instagram allow hot linking to their server so its easy for websites/techies to do BOT pages using instagram images. I have about 60 images on instagram and about 300 Instagram related hits on Pixsey. None of them are of course able to be processed legally as they are hosted in 3rd countries such as Panama and have owners privacy enabled.

Edited by Panthera tigris

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, MDM said:

 

I can't see any obvious way to upload images from a Mac browser and I believe it needs some modification. Not something I've bothered with as I have an iPad which is what I use for posting and viewing on Instagram. I just transfer the images from my Mac using the Photos app. 

 

I sometimes use multiple photos if I want to post a set from a particular shoot. It's useful but not in any way essential. I have a stats app which only works on iOS - not essential but among other things it allows me to see who has followed and unfollowed me soon after I follow back which is a practice I find annoying. 

 

Like I said, 3 clicks. No modification. But hey, if it's something you've not bothered with, why bother? (rhetorical question, don't want to turn this into another near-perpetual thread . . . )

 

I find it hugely convenient not having to use a phone, but as always YEMV.

 

DD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a lack of functionality via the computer, true. To share multiples I generally email the files back to myself and pick them up on my Android then ingest them into IG.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like to do my Instagram stuff lying on the couch when I need a break from sitting at my desk and for that the iPad is near perfect. I prepare the images first and write the blurb with tags in Mac Notes app on my desktop computer, then send it all to iCloud and head for the couch. A big part of Instagram is liking back your followers' pics, having a bit of interaction through comments and I like to do that in relaxed mode.

 

For me it's part enjoyment as there is an amazing amount of great photography as well as tons of crap (a bit like Alamy there in terms of content). But it is also a lot about marketing my business, raising profile in my area/region and so on, maybe getting some traffic to my website. I don't think it is going to do a lot for a pure stock photographer with no web presence or need to raise profile.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by MDM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21/11/2019 at 17:36, MDM said:

 

I can't see any obvious way to upload images from a Mac browser and I believe it needs some modification. Not something I've bothered with as I have an iPad which is what I use for posting and viewing on Instagram. I just transfer the images from my Mac using the Photos app. 

 

I sometimes use multiple photos if I want to post a set from a particular shoot. It's useful but not in any way essential. I have a stats app which only works on iOS - not essential but among other things it allows me to see who has followed and unfollowed me soon after I follow back which is a practice I find annoying. 

Uplet allows you to post easily from a desktop Mac. I doubt there are any advantages in Instagram for stock photography, but it's a good tool for promoting a website.

 

Alex

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.