Creating a link to Instagram

Apologies if this has been covered before.  Trying to keep up with the modern world...I have a presence on Instagram but so far have not uploaded any images (don't have an iPhone) and only follow a handful of contributors.  Was wondering if it was worth including a link to my Alamy page (e.g. under 'website link' (don't have my own website)? 

If it is (good idea) where's the best place to find the link?

Regards Jeff

31 minutes ago, Barking said:

Apologies if this has been covered before.  Trying to keep up with the modern world...I have a presence on Instagram but so far have not uploaded any images (don't have an iPhone) and only follow a handful of contributors.  Was wondering if it was worth including a link to my Alamy page (e.g. under 'website link' (don't have my own website)? 

If it is (good idea) where's the best place to find the link?

Regards Jeff

On your dashboard  there is a ‘Your Alamy portfolio page. ‘

On 20/11/2019 at 02:41, Avpics said:

It works with android phones too

17 hours ago, Barking said:

Didn't know that... will have to investigate.  Thanks 😁

Don't bother investigating using a phone, you can do it embarrassingly easy from any PC (unless of course you only want to use a phone 😉 ).

DD

Edited by dustydingo

Isn't Instagram more limited from a computer than a mobile device though? For example, as far as I know you can't post multiple photos. And it takes a workaround to actually post anything? Or am I missing something?

1 hour ago, MDM said:

Isn't Instagram more limited from a computer than a mobile device though? For example, as far as I know you can't post multiple photos. And it takes a workaround to actually post anything? Or am I missing something?

3 clicks and you're able to upload from a PC (I assume from Mac is just as simple).

Multiple photos in one post? Meh, can't imagine doing away with the convenience of uploading from PC or Mac just because I can't (and never have seen the need to) upload multiple images in one post.

DD

49 minutes ago, dustydingo said:

3 clicks and you're able to upload from a PC (I assume from Mac is just as simple).

Multiple photos in one post? Meh, can't imagine doing away with the convenience of uploading from PC or Mac just because I can't (and never have seen the need to) upload multiple images in one post.

DD

I can't see any obvious way to upload images from a Mac browser and I believe it needs some modification. Not something I've bothered with as I have an iPad which is what I use for posting and viewing on Instagram. I just transfer the images from my Mac using the Photos app. 

I sometimes use multiple photos if I want to post a set from a particular shoot. It's useful but not in any way essential. I have a stats app which only works on iOS - not essential but among other things it allows me to see who has followed and unfollowed me soon after I follow back which is a practice I find annoying. 

8 minutes ago, MDM said:

I can't see any obvious way to upload images from a Mac browser and I believe it needs some modification. Not something I've bothered with as I have an iPad which is what I use for posting and viewing on Instagram. I just transfer the images from my Mac using the Photos app. 

I sometimes use multiple photos if I want to post a set from a particular shoot. It's useful but not in any way essential. I have a stats app which only works on iOS - not essential but among other things it allows me to see who has followed and unfollowed me soon after I follow back which is a practice I find annoying. 

I use Flume to give me more complete IG functions on a Mac. It enables uploading (not sure about multiples) and shows stats. I'm genetically unable to really understand how to obtain any benefits from social media, although being seen online must help (?).   

7 hours ago, KevinS said:

I use Flume to give me more complete IG functions on a Mac. It enables uploading (not sure about multiples) and shows stats. I'm genetically unable to really understand how to obtain any benefits from social media, although being seen online must help (?).   

I also use Flume to upload from Mac. Also cannot see any advantages for stock.

I recently signed up with the free account on Pixsey (who can automatically link to your instagram account) and have been SHOCKED how many of my instagram images appear on other websites. Instagram allow hot linking to their server so its easy for websites/techies to do BOT pages using instagram images. I have about 60 images on instagram and about 300 Instagram related hits on Pixsey. None of them are of course able to be processed legally as they are hosted in 3rd countries such as Panama and have owners privacy enabled.

Edited by Panthera tigris

13 hours ago, MDM said:

Like I said, 3 clicks. No modification. But hey, if it's something you've not bothered with, why bother? (rhetorical question, don't want to turn this into another near-perpetual thread . . . )

I find it hugely convenient not having to use a phone, but as always YEMV.

DD

I like to do my Instagram stuff lying on the couch when I need a break from sitting at my desk and for that the iPad is near perfect. I prepare the images first and write the blurb with tags in Mac Notes app on my desktop computer, then send it all to iCloud and head for the couch. A big part of Instagram is liking back your followers' pics, having a bit of interaction through comments and I like to do that in relaxed mode.

For me it's part enjoyment as there is an amazing amount of great photography as well as tons of crap (a bit like Alamy there in terms of content). But it is also a lot about marketing my business, raising profile in my area/region and so on, maybe getting some traffic to my website. I don't think it is going to do a lot for a pure stock photographer with no web presence or need to raise profile.

Edited by MDM

On 21/11/2019 at 17:36, MDM said:

Uplet allows you to post easily from a desktop Mac. I doubt there are any advantages in Instagram for stock photography, but it's a good tool for promoting a website.

Alex